A thread to discuss how Jacinda will make NZ Choice again

Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.73 average.
(11 votes)
Results 6,726 to 6,750 of 7023

  1. Post
    How come NZ never seems to use our equivalent to USA RICO laws?

    The government took the easy route and just doesn't take gang crime seriously. I would have thought that any law that can actually be useful in putting the people who run the gang from behind the scenes behind bars would be used.

  2. Post
    Can someone make a list of how many mistakes labour has actually made?

    I can only really remember 1, about that sexual assault with the minor at that labour youth party.

    were there anymore?

  3. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    Can someone make a list of how many mistakes labour has actually made?

    I can only really remember 1, about that sexual assault with the minor at that labour youth party.

    were there anymore?
    scrapping the capital gains tax

  4. Post
    KiwiBuild. Giving Clare Curran a job and mucking around keeping her for so long. CGT failure. Gun confiscation. Giving first year rather than last year uni students a free year. Im sure Ill remember some more...

  5. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    Can someone make a list of how many mistakes labour has actually made?

    I can only really remember 1, about that sexual assault with the minor at that labour youth party.

    were there anymore?
    Just off the top of my head, Ian Lees-Galloway and Karol Schrukek, Clare Curran failing to disclose secret meeting (x2), Phil Twyford failing to secret meeting with Phil Goff, Phil Twyford promising 100000 kiwi build homes, Meka Fight-ari assaulting a staff member

  6. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    Can someone make a list of how many mistakes labour has actually made?

    I can only really remember 1, about that sexual assault with the minor at that labour youth party.

    were there anymore?
    There is literally an investigation into sexual assault and harassment going on right now (not to be confused with the above incident or the others mentioned -this is a new one).

  7. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    Can someone make a list of how many mistakes labour has actually made?

    I can only really remember 1, about that sexual assault with the minor at that labour youth party.

    were there anymore?
    The problem is that Labour's position in government is not as dominate as National was. It has to make compromises and concessions and probably even scrap some of its ideas in order to keep the coalition together. So it can not make unilateral decisions.

    Every time I look at the poll results, I always combine the results of Labour/Greens/NZFirst versus National/ACT. Many of Labour's more socialist policies are now coming from the Greens and other more centrist policies come from the NZFirst, so that leave Labour with the rest.

    So in that regard, holding the coalition together is a major achievement, as all three work on dismantling the decades long Neo-liberalist experiment on New Zealand. This will take longer than one term, given that many things took decades to develop, so may take decades to remove. And obviously there will be a lot of pain and mistakes along the way.

  8. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    How come NZ never seems to use our equivalent to USA RICO laws?

    The government took the easy route and just doesn't take gang crime seriously. I would have thought that any law that can actually be useful in putting the people who run the gang from behind the scenes behind bars would be used.
    What RICO equivalent laws? RICO works in the states because you end up facing 100 year sentences etc, so members of the organised criminal group fold giving evidence on those above them in the group.

    The only law we have even slightly similar... and it is only slightly similar would be 98A Crimes Act. (Participation in organised criminal group). Except this has a maximum sentence of 10 years; however the courts tend to dismiss this, add no extra sentence on to what ever the offenders primary offence was (say manufacturing / supplying meth). So it becomes basically a pointless charge.

  9. Post
    What exactly are they doing to dismantle neoliberalism?

  10. Post
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    What exactly are they doing to dismantle neoliberalism?
    Well for a start all the working groups they have established to actually look at what is currently wrong with so many government systems.

    People complain about why there is so many working groups, but that is required to make the changes that are required. It will take more than one term to do do it.

    https://youtu.be/ghA0YW7ST4E?t=348

  11. Post
    MorbidNZ wrote:
    What RICO equivalent laws? RICO works in the states because you end up facing 100 year sentences etc, so members of the organised criminal group fold giving evidence on those above them in the group.

    The only law we have even slightly similar... and it is only slightly similar would be 98A Crimes Act. (Participation in organised criminal group). Except this has a maximum sentence of 10 years; however the courts tend to dismiss this, add no extra sentence on to what ever the offenders primary offence was (say manufacturing / supplying meth). So it becomes basically a pointless charge.
    Well then we're going around in circles. It all comes back to judges being unwilling to sentence properly.

    I just thought that the usefulness of charging the president of the gang with the same crimes as the accomplice would mean we'd actually have something on the books

  12. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    First off, I have to give a lot of credit to Davis for coming out in the media today and own the mistake - he isn't the best public speaker, so would've been easy for him to hide like some of his colleagues have on big issues. But, given this guy is the most high profile prisoner we have ever had, the Minster should be wanting to be briefed every time this guy takes a shit. Just like Ian Lees-Gallaway, he hasn't asked enough questions or requested the amount of information he should have for such a high profile case. For example, he didn't even know/asked who all the letters had been sent to, let alone their content...meanwhile, this guy has been allowed to send letters to and encourage his fan base. And then he says we need to review the law!? The law is fine! And then responds by revoking all of the accused's mailing privileges, which is pretty questionable (from a human rights point of view)
    You're surprised? Most of this govt doesn't even know what they're doing. Peters seems the only competent minister. This entire govt never really expected to win the election and it's showing more and more. I find it interesting that the international media fawn over Ardern yet here in her homeland she cannot even get 50% approval ratings. Shit, even Bill English who has all the charisma of a squashed potato got over 50%.

  13. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    You're surprised? Most of this govt doesn't even know what they're doing. Peters seems the only competent minister. This entire govt never really expected to win the election and it's showing more and more. I find it interesting that the international media fawn over Ardern yet here in her homeland she cannot even get 50% approval ratings. Shit, even Bill English who has all the charisma of a squashed potato got over 50%.
    It is not hard to high approval ratings for National party politicians as most of their supporters have landlines, used by pollsters. Most of Arderns supporters are lucky to have a mobile phone as they probably cant afford a landline.

  14. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Most of Arderns supporters realize landlines are outdated and not needed these days

  15. Post
    Good point, I had forgotten a large number of the left are bludgers with no jobs.

  16. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Most of Arderns supporters are lucky to have a mobile phone as they probably cant afford a landline.
    I don't usually expect you to say something as stupid as this, so I'm not 100% sure if you're being serious or not.

  17. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Good point, I had forgotten a large number of the left are bludgers with no jobs.
    You're talking about the baby boomers with 20 investment properties claiming national super right?

  18. Post
    Anyone made a submission to the commission of inquiry? Closes tomorrow

  19. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Anyone made a submission to the commission of inquiry? Closes tomorrow
    It got extended for a month.

  20. Post
    Jesus Christ the Green Party scare me

    A Ministry of Transport (MoT) report from September last year showed officials had been instructed to "progress an initiative to regulate an end-date of 2035 to the import of light vehicles that are unable to be driven without fossil-fuels".
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12261273

  21. Post
    If I'm still driving a fossil fuel car in 2021 I'd be gutted. Bring on the Teslas

  22. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Jesus Christ the Green Party scare me



    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12261273
    It will get the point where all imported cars, sooner for new, will be electric (or zero emission if another energy source is used) anyway. A lot of countries have legislation to ban new petrol and diesel vehicles in that time frame.

  23. Post
    She is going to that protest land.

  24. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Jesus Christ the Green Party scare me



    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12261273
    Why are you scared?

  25. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Why are you scared?
    Hes scared his coal roller held together by ban 1080 stickers is gonna get banned