Jordan Peterson - Neo-classic views in 5 mins or less

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)

1. Post
    all that mainly comes from the whole identity and gender pronouns , which is kinda click baitey , but hilariously tho. It comes down more on the the point about free speech and gender identity politics .

2. Post
    I hate arguments about free speech, because they usually boil down to people not understanding that speech is free, but the consequences obviously vary a lot.

3. Post
    The responsibility of the consequences being the interesting part. And tbh kinda hypocritical of the anti sjw when they say its the sjw's fault for being triggered and that they should have agency...when that's exactly what they're doing by dominating some areas of debate but as a collective instead of individuals. Reminds me of anti unionism. Which I'm still not about historically...certainly seemed like they got screwed over.

4. Post
    ermmm it is the SJW fault for being triggered. If you are being triggered then it is your responsibility to rationally and logically work out what is the problem for yourself first before claiming it is everyones else fault that you are triggered. The important bit is the ability to communicate and talk about these issues. Not scream your favorite whatiswrongwiththeworld phrase ( patriarchy , misogyny, misandry , racism, toxic masculinity , feminism , right wing, liberal etc etc ) and then stop any debate on it.

think about it, they are stopping the study on rape in the law society and lectures because it is ..triggering.. and can be upsetting to some students. Or they have to put up warnings that some of the content may offend a student feelings..

5. Post
    big fan of Jordan Peterson and really enjoy his thinking and delivery style
    he is incredibly smart and well educated

some recent podcast videos featuring him:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx4ltQhdlhg

6. Post
    I keep trying. He's good, but there is something just a bit Deepak Chopra about him. Only like a 5% Deepak condition but man it's a rough affliction.

7. Post
    I enjoyed his recent debate with a British journo. Sad that his fans promptly acted like misogynist dicks.

8. Post
    if you only believe that his fanbase comprises of misogynist alt rights then yeah , i do feel sad for you.

9. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    I enjoyed his recent debate with a British journo. Sad that his fans promptly acted like misogynist dicks.

Watched the video, and was pretty impressed tbh.

Then I scrolled down to the comments, and holeee sheeet... and I thought Philip DeFranco had it bad with his comment section.

smh

10. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    if you only believe that his fanbase comprises of misogynist alt rights then yeah , i do feel sad for you.
    That's the driving force for his popularity. Just not necessarily the crux of his perspective and views.

Ironically your average misogynist is the exact sort of grown man-baby he's deriding.

11. Post
    bradc wrote:
    That's the driving force for his popularity. Just not necessarily the crux of his perspective and views.

Ironically your average misogynist is the exact sort of grown man-baby he's deriding.
    i dunno, i would suggest the driving force of his popularity is that he is one of the few well articulated conservative voices on the internet who does not rely on shock baiting ( Milo , Shapiro etc ) or deliberate misogynist views ( Leykis etc )

Deride also is too negative about how Peterson thinks of the man baby, he reserves most of his contempt for the post modernist leftist teachers and academia.

12. Post
    If I try to view and assess the totality of his online work, contempt for post modernists and academia is really only a small element of the content. His main drive is more to do with personal responsibility/empowerment, and effort. He is a psychologist, after all.

I don't think you can deny there's a huge amount of clingons of his that are more politically or ideologically motivated than anything else.

13. Post
    I felt for Cathy Newman, she was trying to get a straight answer out of him and just got jibber jabber. These intellectuals operate on another plain, it's useless trying to engage them

14. Post
    bradc wrote:
    If I try to view and assess the totality of his online work, contempt for post modernists and academia is really only a small element of the content. His main drive is more to do with personal responsibility/empowerment, and effort. He is a psychologist, after all.

I don't think you can deny there's a huge amount of clingons of his that are more politically or ideologically motivated than anything else.
    well you don't choose your audience tho, the fans choose the rockstar, the performer etc and not the other way around. ( well you can be an echo chamber and attract the like minded but i do not believe that JP wants ) .

- - - Updated - - -

Tormenta wrote:
    I felt for Cathy Newman, she was trying to get a straight answer out of him and just got jibber jabber. These intellectuals operate on another plain, it's useless trying to engage them
    Stop trolling Tormenta, this is the wrong thread.

15. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    well you don't choose your audience tho, the fans choose the rockstar, the performer etc and not the other way around. ( well you can be an echo chamber and attract the like minded but i do not believe that JP wants ) .
    Yep, so going back then, it looks like the catalyst for his sudden surge in audience is attention garnered by views that get misogynists hard. He may have garnered other demographics like the one's you've mentioned off the back of his increase in publicity, but his initial core fandom involve quite a lot of bottom dwellers, irrespective of the body of his work.

16. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Depends. The world is complex and a lot of people like simple answers, irrespective of how accurate or valid they may be. Some things can be overthought, but there's quite a few burning issues which require quite a lot of extrapolation to form a decent view.

17. Post
    i got to disagree with you tho BradC , i only found out about Peterson when he took a stance on Bill C16 on the point of freedom of speech and compelled speech forced onto a person. i remained interested in his work as he has very well documented and well reasoned explanations about mythology , religion and psychological states and mental development . The whole bottom dweller assertions of him being misogynist etc all come from his critics who label him as such as he does not take pro feminist liberal view but rather that of a conservative person . I mean i believe there been already a quick word count of the comments which some here has said omg look at the comments etc and Cathy Newman supporters are way ahead ( some thing like 20-25 times more likely ) to direct violence or anger etc towards JP and his "followers" than the other way around..

18. Post
    None of your statements disagree with me, vis a vis the demographic that pushed Peterson into the spotlight. I'm not saying he's a misogynist, just that a lot of his fanbase are, and misguidedly so. They're moths to his intellectual candle.

19. Post
    bradc wrote:
    He specifically talks about the illusion of the father figure, and that the individual ultimately needs to answer most burning questions themselves. Rather than appealing to a father figure for approval, or answers.

So I guess if you know people doing that, they're clearly not listening very well.
    is he speaking through freud here tho

20. Post
    You mean the other way round?

21. Post
    Bloody wrote:

- - - Updated - - -

Stop trolling Tormenta, this is the wrong thread.
    Stop plagiarising Sargon of Akkad for your opinions. They might be cool but they emphasise a lack of original thought.

22. Post
    Assumes original thought is actually a thing, instead of your thoughts being part of a succession of neurological activity millions of years old.

23. Post
    no idea who Sargon of Akkad is, and you are the one who repeating the echo chamber that is Cathy Newman.. and if you paid attention to what JP was saying, original thought is a systematic biological neurological development of our species , ie the Lobster reference which she even alluded too.

24. Post
    great interview, thank you for sharing the video clip