Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    I had no idea they planned to film here in the first place. I figured since Peter Jackson wasnt involved they would go elsewhere.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...VVhPv4aVNmR4r4

The Government has held a crisis meeting with Amazon TV executives as the network threatens to pull plans to film the Lord of the Rings series in New Zealand.

At US$1 billion (NZ$1.49 billion), it is touted as the most expensive television series in history – and accordingly, the most lucrative for the country where it is filmed.

Earlier this year, production company boss Jennifer Salke confirmed New Zealand was being considered as the location – but now, that's in jeopardy.

Amazon executives met this week with Economic Development Minister David Parker to express their concerns about a lack of studio capacity in Auckland.

Both parties were tight-lipped about the high stakes negotiations, when contacted this weekend.

The company has warned the studio capacity shortage is a problem, but it is understood there is still a great deal of optimism they can announce a successful resolution next month.

Kiwi director of the Lord of the Rings film franchise, Sir Peter Jackson, has said he will look over some scripts for the TV reboot. "I wish them all the best and if we can help them we certainly will try. It's a big task," he told Britain's Metro newspaper this month.

The hardball negotiations between Amazon and the Government will spark memories of those between Warner Bros and John Key's Government, in which Warner threatened to pull the filming of Jackson's The Hobbit from New Zealand if the Government did not meet certain terms.

Warner got its way: in 2010, the Government made an urgent change to employment law to prevent independent contractors from claiming entitlements as employees, as well as increasing the tax concession for big screen productions.

A spokesman for Parker confirmed the Minister met representatives of Amazon in his office this week to discuss possible productions in New Zealand. He declined to comment further.

Amazon refused to comment.

Former South Pacific Pictures boss John Barnett said he had been unaware Amazon representatives were in New Zealand. The availability of studio space would depend on when Amazon planned to start filming.

"I guess they'd be looking at a couple of places and it's a very big production and those productions are always good to get. It provides a lot of jobs for a lot of people for a lot of time – that's great, we're all looking to employee more people."

In September, Auckland Council paid for a 20-page magazine to be distributed with the Hollywood Reporter, boasting of the city's capacity to host big screen productions. "Auckland is the natural home for brilliantly realised film and televions," the headline read.

But Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (Ateed) refused to confirm whether it attended this week's meeting at Parliament. Economic development general manager Pam Ford said: "As the screen attraction agency for our region, ATEED is constantly in discussion with numerous screen production companies about them potentially locating projects in Auckland."

2. Post

3. Post
    Apparently this will be set during the "Second Age".

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/stat...56946509344768

4. Post
    Wow. That's kinda surprising. The Second Age strikes me as kinda messy compared to the "young Aragorn" setting which seemed to be the track they were on before. The end of the Second Age makes the most sense, but who knows. Maybe they will give us the Akallabeth.

5. Post
    well there is gonna be a lot of very good looking people as it is all about the Elves vs Sauron in that age.

Numenor is the Atlantis which rises , challenges the gods cos Sauron and gets rekt.

6. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    well there is gonna be a lot of very good looking people as it is all about the Elves vs Sauron in that age.
    If the Second age is "all about" anything, surely it's Numinor.

ed. I do agree that they are likely to focus more on the Elves / Sauron for the show because it's a point of familiarity, and will allow them to continue with characters over massive stretches of time. I can see the jumping off points being the end of the Second Age (leading up to The War of the Last Alliance) or around the time of Sauron (and Celebrimbor) forging the rings.
    Last edited by WillAY; 13th March 2019 at 11:57 am.

7. Post
    Lots of source material but not much in the way of a juicy LOTR plot to be found.

I've read the silmarillion a number of times and while I love it, I feel lots of creative license will be needed to create fully fledged plots.

Chris has done a good job of fleshing out some of the major stories and re-releasing as stand alones.

Galadrial has a pretty good plot . Flight of the elves would be cool. Creation of the dwarves. Numenorean men and the origin of Sauron. All cool things that I'm sure people would enjoy watching.

8. Post
    Having read the opinions of people who know far more than myself, it seems pretty clear that they have obtained the rights to Unfinished Tales (which is also where we get the Galadriel story). As you allude to, the Second age is fairly sparse in The Silmarillion (and appendices).

9. Post
    Looks they'll be filming at least some of it here.

A large part of Amazon's proposed Lord of The Rings TV series is to be produced in New Zealand.

According to sources who have spoken to NZ Herald, Kumeu and Auckland film studios will be involved.

Sources also claimed that the studios have been preparing for more than a year now, building locations.

Previously, it was claimed that Scotland had won rights to film the show, wresting away the production from New Zealand, the spiritual home of the series.

An anonymous industry insider claimed that confidentiality agreements had been signed with Amazon and the New Zealand Government, and that American crews were already here, NZ Herald said.

"I'm just not sure what the extent is to, whether they're doing all the filming. But I can assure you, it is happening in Auckland.

"And all I can tell you is that it's huge. You can more or less say they're here," NZ Herald reported.

The Amazon Studios show is set to be the most expensive TV show ever, costing more than $1.5 billion.

It is also thought that Queenstown could figure in the shooting of the show.

The City of Sails had been looked at, rather than Middle Earth's traditional home of Wellington, because the capital will be playing host to James Cameron's Avatar sequels for a good portion of 2019

Back in February this year, fan site The One Ring.net was convinced that New Zealand would be the location for the show.

Young Aragorn is tipped to be the focus of Amazon's billion dollar series, with fans predicting a storyline to follow young Aragorn - the Ranger of the North, heir of Isildur and claimant to the thrones of Arnor and Gondor.

Aragorn was originally played by Viggo Mortensen in Sir Peter Jackson's trilogy.

However it is unlikely he would return to the role, given the age of the character.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...gs-production?

10. Post
    Lol. For some reason the mention of an US Auckland based production makes me think of quality shows like Hercules, Xena, Power Rangers, and the like (but not Ash vs Evil Dead. That was awesome )

11. Post
    ... and now we're apparently back on the "young Aragorn" story. Odd. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

12. Post
    Lots like a solid team.

Amazon’s big-budget Lord of the Rings TV series has revealed the creative team that will make up its writers room and beyond, which includes not only producers from series like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones but also the costume designer from Suicide Squad, a Tolkien scholar, and the production designer from Stars Wars: The Last Jedi.

The series, which Amazon said will “explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring,” will be overseen by showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay while Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom direct J.A. Bayona directs the pilot. Here are the additional names announced today at the Television Critics Association Press Tour:

Executive Producers: Lindsey Weber (10 Cloverfield Lane), Gene Kelly (Boardwalk Empire), Bruce Richmond (Game of Thrones), and Sharon Tal Yguado, former head of genre at Amazon Studios.

Writer/EPs: Gennifer Hutchison (Breaking Bad), Jason Cahill (The Sopranos), and Justin Doble (Stranger Things)

Consulting Producers: Bryan Cogman (Game of Thrones) and Stephany Folson (Toy Story 4)

Producer: Ron Ames (The Aviator)

Writer/Producer: Helen Shang (Hannibal)

Writing Consultant: Glenise Mullins (Terminator Genysis)

Costume Designer: Kate Hawley (Suicide Squad)

Production Designer: Rick Heinrichs (The Last Jedi)

Visual Effects Supervisor: Jason Smith (Bumblebee)

Tolkien Scholar: Tom Shippey (“J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century”)

Concept Artist: John Howe (Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy)

“This team is our Fellowship,” McKay and Payne said in a statement, “assembled from around the world, all walking the road together to try and accomplish something far greater than any of us could on our own. We feel humbled and extremely lucky to be surrounded by such inspiring and talented women and men,”
    https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/stat...2047420080129?
    http://collider.com/lord-of-the-ring...ers-producers/

13. Post
    honestly unless it's like crazy shit from the silmarillion it's probably going to bore me.

14. Post
    i think that socially we are still in the phase of deconstruction of tolkien fantasy tropes, but at the same time rejecting grimdark GoT fantasy. Which is why maybe Avatar The Last Airbender is probably a more favourable option comparatively, as opposed to this and The Witcher. ButThe Witcher at least will be innovative to a new audience, whereas i think people have tolkien fatigue, especially for any character in the original trilogy that have already had their character arcs successfully resolved.

15. Post
    Thought this was interesting.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/09/...lkien-history/

Amazon's upcoming Lord of the Rings show will stick closely to the canon and history established by Tolkien, a consultant working on the project has revealed.

"The Tolkien estate will insist that the main shape of the Second Age is not altered," Tolkien scholar and series supervisor Tom Shippey told the German Tolkien Society. During this period, Sauron tries to reform Middle-earth for the better but falls into evil, becoming a powerful and oppressive ruler. "Sauron invades Eriador, is forced back by a Númenorean expedition, returns to Númenor. There he corrupts the Númenoreans and seduces them to break the ban of the Valar. All this, the course of history, must remain the same."

Shippey points out that although the broad strokes of the history of the Second Age are established, there are plenty of unanswered questions about the events of the period, such as what Sauron did after the fall of Morgoth. Amazon can take creative license to create its own story within this history, as long as it doesn't contradict Tolkien's writings.

The Tolkien estate maintains power of veto over any content in the show, Shippey says, and is willing to nix anything that doesn't fit with Tolkien's vision. The First Age and the Third Age of Middle-earth (in which the books are set) are both "off-limits" to the TV show, so don't expect to see hobbits, Gondorians or many familiar faces in the new adaptation.

Shippey also reports that Amazon hopes to premiere the series in 2021, but it is still early in the production cycle so this date could be pushed back.

16. Post
    good. that makes me more inclined to watch it, because third age shit is boring.

17. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Tom Shippey
    Sold. Tom Shippey is legit.

kierbear wrote:
    good. that makes me more inclined to watch it, because third age shit is boring.
    What's "boring" about it?

18. Post
    Amazon Studios will begin filming its Lord of the Rings television show in Auckland.

The announcement was made on Wednesday by Amazon Studios.

Amazon Studios said filming would begin in the coming months at a range of sites around the Auckland region, but said the exact sites were still under discussion.

The series is expected to premiere in 2021.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...g-in-auckland?

19. Post
    Would love to try and be an extra.

20. Post
    Would have been good in uni days