Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Awards are meaningless. If you need validation from others for things that you like then you're a sad person with no identity of your own.
    Who is talking about validation here?
    You know what is sad? Sniping and belittling people. How many times do you need to be told that its not ok?

2. Post
    I have only played two games on that entire huge list. Been a lean gaming year for me.

On the upside I just finished Original Sin 2 and that was an amazing game.

After spending 98 hours on a hardcore rpg though, am thinking of something a bit lighter. Maybe AC Origins or Prey.

3. Post
    Bobs, out of curiousity. Has DOSII broken into your top GOAT list?
    It has mine. Currently sitting at the very top alongside Planescape - Torment

4. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Troll much? Best year for games in a very long time.

I have to disagree. As good as it is, it is miles below Divinity Original Sin 2. Its not even close. GOTY for me. And in the top 5 reviewed games of 2017

What a load of absolute cobblers mate. And I think you know it. I am all about being jaded, but this year really doesn't let you. Opinions are opinions, but I think you really need to strain to say this year was disappointing, or flat.
    Also note, that most of these games are not graphical powerhouses as you seem to think this year was all about.

Games I really liked this year.

Divinity Original Sin 2 (GOTY and RPGOTY)
    XCOM 2 (Strategy GOTY)
    Nioh (Action GOTY)
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Paradigm (Indie GOTY)
    Horizon Zero Dawn (Adventure GOTY)
    Wolfenstein II (FPS of the Year)
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Nier Automata
    TLoZ - BoTW
    Persona 5
    Assassins Creed Origins (I know, I was shocked too)
    Dishonered Death of the Outsider
    Prey
    Cuphead
    Yakuza 0
    Wipeout Omega Collection
    Hob
    Pyre
    Rock of Ages 2
    Destiny 2
    Hellblade
    Mario Rabbids
    Little Nightmares
    Battle Chasers
    Only played two of those. ACO is brilliant.
    Zelda was good too. For a Nintendo game that is

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk

5. Post
    ludez wrote:
    heh, you say that like it's the special Olympics. Sad that DOS2 wasn't listed as a GOTY contender. I went to vote HZD but then was asked for a FB login. Nope.

6. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Bobs, out of curiousity. Has DOSII broken into your top GOAT list?
    It has mine. Currently sitting at the very top alongside Planescape - Torment
    Very much so. Enjoyed the companions, enjoyed the combat, and even liked the story which is not always a larian strong point. Enjoyable loot system, good sense of progression.....lots to like about the game. 10/10 from me.

7. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Only played two of those. ACO is brilliant.

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk
    So is AC:O more "rpg" like now? As in, you get to build your character the way you want?

I've always liked the idea behind the AC games. Open world city, set in different time periods etc. I just felt they were not really executed in a way that appealed to me (AC 2 wasn't bad though)

8. Post
    Games I really liked this year.

Divinity Original Sin 2 (GOTY and RPGOTY)
    XCOM 2 (Strategy GOTY)
    Nioh (Action GOTY)
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Paradigm (Indie GOTY)
    Horizon Zero Dawn (Adventure GOTY)
    Wolfenstein II (FPS of the Year)
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Nier Automata
    TLoZ - BoTW
    Persona 5
    Assassins Creed Origins (I know, I was shocked too)
    Dishonered Death of the Outsider
    Prey
    Cuphead
    Yakuza 0
    Wipeout Omega Collection
    Hob
    Pyre
    Rock of Ages 2
    Destiny 2
    Hellblade
    Mario Rabbids
    Little Nightmares
    Battle Chasers
    I envy your wide tastes in games ChrisB. Maybe if I had such a wide taste in games I wouldn't be getting so easily bored of gaming these days.

I'm really keen to play Divinity OS2 next even though old school style RPG's aren't usually my thing. I played a 3rd of the way through the first one but lost interest like most other old school RPG's I try & play.

9. Post
    Bought a Switch for Zelda/Mario, no ragrets.

10. Post
    I concur, this year's been bonkers full of good games. Pity I haven't had time to play even half of them.

And it's not over yet, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Seven.

11. Post
    I've played just a slither of the games listed there. I'd say most of my votes would go to Zelda BotW, but Indie, Art and Music / Score would have to go to Cuphead, even though I haven't actually played it.

12. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    So is AC:O more "rpg" like now? As in, you get to build your character the way you want?

I've always liked the idea behind the AC games. Open world city, set in different time periods etc. I just felt they were not really executed in a way that appealed to me (AC 2 wasn't bad though)
    Its ultra RPG-lite. There is more progression, and some build variety, but its only temporary until you fill out the trees. Its still very much AC is every aspect with some additional superficial RPG mechanics on top. The actual game, quests, and open-world stuff is really no different.
    Black Flag is still the best imo. It feels and plays differently, and ship/piratey stuff is actually more RPG'y than Origins.

13. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:

I'm really keen to play Divinity OS2 next even though old school style RPG's aren't usually my thing. I played a 3rd of the way through the first one but lost interest like most other old school RPG's I try & play.
    Same. I've gotta be in a mood to play those, turn the 2nd screen off and get fully engaged in them.

14. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    What a load of absolute cobblers mate. And I think you know it. I am all about being jaded, but this year really doesn't let you. Opinions are opinions, but I think you really need to strain to say this year was disappointing, or flat.
    Also note, that most of these games are not graphical powerhouses as you seem to think this year was all about.
    You can think whatever the hell you want about what I think. Just... don't be surprised when you're wrong and I end up thinking differently. I said I wasn't disappointed. I just saw nothing special in any of it beyond Divinity: Original Sin 2. And Spider-Man... but that's just because I'm a massive Spider-Man fan, not because I think the game is anything special.

It was all flat. No highs, no lows. You can have your "GOTY" choices, but really... game of the year from a year that has basically been a yawnfest isn't really an achievement. So this year, "GOTY" amounts to "least meh game from the meh pile".

I have no problem with you putting D : OS2 as your game of the year. Seriously the only contender there. No argument from me.
    But the rest?
    Spoiler:

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong about any of them. You just accused me of being overly jaded and implied I was lying. I'm responding. There wasn't anything particularly exciting this year gaming wise. Movie wise? Shit, I loved this year. It's been great. I'm not just being jaded.

It's weird how people can't say anything these days without being labeled something (usually negative). As if just holding an opinion that differs is something that must be torn down. That's not a good thing.

It takes all kinds. The more ideas that are out there, the better for everyone. This year was meh, for me, gaming wise. It's not "absolute cobblers". Calling it that is just shitty. Don't be shitty.

15. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I have to disagree. As good as it is, it is miles below Divinity Original Sin 2. Its not even close. GOTY for me. And in the top 5 reviewed games of 2017
    I would most likely love that to Chris but I haven't got around to playing it yet (sorry). Definitely best game PG has done.

Just looking at your top 5 only game out of that I have actually played is HZD and I did enjoy it but thought it was abit predictable tbh. (might still make my top 5 tho)

16. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    Words..
    Well you seem about as enthusiastic and easy to please as my ex-wife!

17. Post
    Learnt about Hellblade from this list and damn am I interested, looks great

18. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    You can think whatever the hell you want about what I think. Just... don't be surprised when you're wrong and I end up thinking differently. I said I wasn't disappointed. I just saw nothing special in any of it beyond Divinity: Original Sin 2. And Spider-Man... but that's just because I'm a massive Spider-Man fan, not because I think the game is anything special.

It was all flat. No highs, no lows. You can have your "GOTY" choices, but really... game of the year from a year that has basically been a yawnfest isn't really an achievement. So this year, "GOTY" amounts to "least meh game from the meh pile".

I have no problem with you putting D : OS2 as your game of the year. Seriously the only contender there. No argument from me.
    But the rest?
    Spoiler:

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong about any of them. You just accused me of being overly jaded and implied I was lying. I'm responding. There wasn't anything particularly exciting this year gaming wise. Movie wise? Shit, I loved this year. It's been great. I'm not just being jaded.

It's weird how people can't say anything these days without being labeled something (usually negative). As if just holding an opinion that differs is something that must be torn down. That's not a good thing.

It takes all kinds. The more ideas that are out there, the better for everyone. This year was meh, for me, gaming wise. It's not "absolute cobblers". Calling it that is just shitty. Don't be shitty.
    Perhaps you're just burned out from games? I get that quite often these days.

Last night for example I went through my entire steam list (about 250 games) and origin etc for a game to play and couldn't find anything. Watched Rick and Morty instead. I find a game has to be really good for it to hold my interest these days.

19. Post
    It's entirely possible Bobs.

I have gone back to Nethack and Rimworld in the last few months just for something to keep me entertained.

20. Post
    SmashTheTV wrote:
    All the people complaining the year was 'meh' don't own a Switch. Or like Ins0mn1ac said. Expand your horizons a bit.
    Oh, you mean platform with mostly overpriced ports of old games with the worst quality? Doom dropping to 21fps, sub-HD resolution of less than 600p, missing content, lower than PC's low graphical preset, missing map editor/SnapMap.

Switch will probably come into its own in 2018/2019, in 2017 it was a hardware-wise a WINZ PS4 with that console's game library circa the year 2014, i.e. propped up by ports of $4 Steam indies. 2017 was the year that the PS4 library finally started to shine and Japanese publishers finally showed that they have a good grasp at understanding the PC market (for the most part).

21. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    PUBG should get GOTY and it's not even really close, it's been the most impactful and influential game in quite a while..
    There are FAR FAR better games that could get GOTY. There is no progression in it, and why the game is intense and exiting to play, it is not actually that fun. The there is the Micros and lootboxes in it. And don't give me the rubbish 'Its only cosmetic' shit. PUG especially has an element of hiding to it, and what you have on greatly increases or decreases your chances of being spotted, so there is no way in hell you can say they do not effect gamepaly.

I kind think any game with loot boxes and MTs should be excluded from any kind of awards (unless its F2P) just to push the punt home that we do not want them. Unless its the award for worst game of the year, in witch case that would be BF2 and the loot box crap that they pulled out, ONLY because Disney told them too, and you do not want to be on the bad side of Disney. They can be spiteful pricks. And even then, they want to put them back in at some point. Its like there mobile attempt at Dungeon Keeper all over again.
    Last edited by Jagji56; 20th November 2017 at 8:15 pm.

22. Post
    So there's no progression but then you have an issue with lootboxes giving advantages... they don't give advantages by the way.

It's intense and exciting but not fun? That's cool. I did say impactful and influential though.