The Outer Worlds

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    Gun play feel is always going to be an issue when you combine RPG attribute systems with real time twitch gun play. Its a fine balance. I think the time dilation system (which feels very Fallout 4 meets Mass Effect to me) is a good compromise. Plenty of time to refine and improve before release next year.

2. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Gun play feel is always going to be an issue when you combine RPG attribute systems with real time twitch gun play. Its a fine balance. I think the time dilation system (which feels very Fallout 4 meets Mass Effect to me) is a good compromise. Plenty of time to refine and improve before release next year.
    Yeah bro, for sure on the balance side of things: I guess it depends a lot on the emphasis put on the time dilation, and which skills affect gunplay as well.

Heaps of time for them to tutu around and make it feel nice: I trust them here, they know if they hit it out of the park...it's a potential goldmine both critically and financially, so they no doubt are aware that feel is mucho important

3. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    I haven't looked at all the screens but I saw this one or one like it early on and yeah that was me sold.

I really missed that in FO4.
    You mean you won't miss the "Yes", "Yes, but sarcastic" and "No" answers of Fallout 4?

4. Post
    It looks extremely promising but it was honestly boring to watch in terms of what was going on with story and characters. I trust Obsidian to deliver a quality story though.

5. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    You mean you won't miss the "Yes", "Yes, but sarcastic" and "No" answers of Fallout 4?
    Yes *sarcastically*

6. Post
    everyones favorite games journalist has a new article out

Don't Expect The Outer Worlds To Be As Gigantic As Fallout: New Vegas

There are two planets in the game, Obsidian says, although they’re not open worlds—they’re compartmentalized. Each of them contains several areas to explore, and Obsidian says there will be plenty to do, but the scale will be very different than New Vegas. “While we aren’t discussing the exact amount of areas, a good bit of context for the approach is to think of what we did in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area,” Dowling said in an e-mail.
    I'm not geologist but I'm pretty sure two planets are larger than the mojave

more poking around led me to this resetera post which has quite a good chunk of info

https://www.resetera.com/threads/abs...-worlds.85796/

Flaw System
    When fighting a certain type of enemy many times, you are given the choice to take on a Flaw
    Flaws negatively impact you and your companion's stats
    You can choose to accept or reject them
    If you choose to accept the Flaw, you are immediately granted 1 perk point
    If you reject the Flaw, the game continues as before
    Flaws are permanent
    Can only have 3 flaws in normal difficulty, can have 5 on a hard difficulty
    Flaw examples include Robophobia, a fear of heights, a fear of the dark, a fear of fire, etc.
    defo a fan of this sort of system with tradeoffs

7. Post
    Good! Not all games have to open world, ME Trilogies hubs and corridors are far better then MEA open world.

8. Post
    The idea that a non-open world game is inherently inferior or "less" than an open-world game is problematic. A focused game can help to dictate pace which can make for a better and more reactive experience.

9. Post
    To be honest I almost never finish my open world titles regardless of how good they are. I get fatigued and want to play something else.

10. Post
    jords wrote:
    Good! Not all games have to open world, ME Trilogies hubs and corridors are far better then MEA open world.
    THIS x All the Internets.

11. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    The idea that a non-open world game is inherently inferior or "less" than an open-world game is problematic. A focused game can help to dictate pace which can make for a better and more reactive experience.
    Yeah, entirely depends on the genre and story I guess. I love open world games (RPG's and Multiplayer FPS) but also like the fast pace and more linear play of games like Doom 2016. Open world single player FPS like Far Cry don't really do it for me. Maybe Far Cry 1 because it was such a breath of fresh air and appeared out of nowhere at the time. If I'm trudging around an open FPS world I want that anticipation of coming across another player to kill (or befriend, LOL, nah)

12. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    To be honest I almost never finish my open world titles regardless of how good they are. I get fatigued and want to play something else.
    I finished Witcher 3 with a couple of different endings and then did my best to explore the entire world and do all quests. I got burnt out by it much like you did.

13. Post
    I prefer story driven games in a linear format. Games like GTA are fun in open world format, on the other hand.

14. Post
    The creators of The Outer Worlds on learning to make better RPGs
    Really interesting read.

I love this part. This is the type of thing I want to see in my RPGs
    Tim Cain wrote:
    you always have to be able to fight your way, talk your way, or sneak your way through.
    I wanted to explore the things a player can do with his companions that still felt like the player's the hero, but make the companions much more integral to his path through the game. And that's what that fourth path came up, the leader idea.

15. Post

16. Post
    I love how open these 2 are, it is kind of odd to me that they've seemingly cut stuff due to resources and time...as a fan, I would 100% understand if they wanted to expand on ideas with the new resources, MS$, available, and delay till 2020.

I know it seems to be in the final stages now, but it still seems odd as to me, surely MS would want it to rock sales if for nothing else than to strengthen their new acquisition's brand....weird to me.

I'm fine and stoked it even exists tho tbh...so maybe the sequel will be able to expand on the ideas like romance/zero grav and such they cant do for this one due to the multiple repeated lack of resources and time, time though I personally would happily sacrifice for this to go from AA to AAA levels (2020 would of been no worries for me).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

17. Post
    You're mixing a few things here.
    Outer Worlds has nothing at all to do with MS. They cannot use MS money for this. TOW was funded and contracts all completed well before MS purchased the company. So those contracts hold and cannot be changed. I do not know how profit sharing will go, but I expect once again MS will not see much if any. The original partners will back when Obsidian was privately owned with their original publisher and backer.

Lastly your desire for "more" is contrary to the design of this game as conceived. It is not AAA. I think people are forgetting that. And I hope expectations are tempered in that regard.

Any project after TOW will be MS and that would likely include TOW2 should it become a thing.

18. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    You're mixing a few things here.
    Outer Worlds has nothing at all to do with MS. They cannot use MS money for this. TOW was funded and contracts all completed well before MS purchased the company. So those contracts hold and cannot be changed. I do not know how profit sharing will go, but I expect once again MS will not see much if any. The original partners will back when Obsidian was privately owned with their original publisher and backer.

Lastly your desire for "more" is contrary to the design of this game as conceived. It is not AAA. I think people are forgetting that. And I hope expectations are tempered in that regard.

Any project after TOW will be MS and that would likely include TOW2 should it become a thing.
    I fully get that it's more a thing that was a locked in thing pre-MS, no doubt those features will make an appearance (people love those things, hence why they are addressing it: easy way to grab Bethesda/BioWare's former fandom) if/when a sequel gets done up.

I've def tempered my expectations a bit for this, the more I hear, the more it seems it may be a bit lighter in content compared with say, a full AAA New Vegas, but what will be there will hopefully be amazing and sell well enough to get a sequel green light quick so they can get on it, it's got all the makings of a Firefly-esque series ongoing.

The way it's presented, if you didn't know the industry etc, you would assume it's a full blown AAA though (the trailer is amazing), so I hope that doesn't hurt it with mislayed expectations: I hope reddit/forums/reviewers don't focus on what isn't there, but what is for this first one at least.

also....

HOW ****ING COOL IS IT WE ARE DEF PLAYING THIS IN 2019!!!!

19. Post
    IST wrote:
    the more it seems it may be a bit lighter in content compared with say, a full AAA New Vegas
    That was known from the start not sure why you're only coming to see that now.
    They've been very open about the game's scope and limitations.
    It is not AAA. It never was. Their budget is much smaller.

20. Post
    As someone with severely limited time, that's great news :-)

21. Post
    This looks like fallout76 done right

22. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    This looks like fallout76 done right
    Quoted because it's the dumbest post I've read on this forum so far.

23. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    Quoted because it's the dumbest post I've read on this forum so far.
    You really need to read more of Grim's posts because that's not even close to his usual level of dumb.

24. Post
    New gameplay footage.