Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Kitset House

Anyone had any experience with kitset houses? Just looking to buy a kitset outright, the builders etc are already sorted.

2. Post
    I've heard it doesn't really save much unless you are doing it yourself in case it will take your own time/money. If you are working another job and cant dedicate time to it I would argue its not worth it.

Better to work with a building company who have ready made plans to do it if you are going to contract out the building to another company anyways. I can foresee lots of issues with purchasing a kitset and getting someone else to do it.

Usually larger building companies will have the house up in about 3-4 months from the foundation being done and this is them being a well oiled machine with good project management.

3. Post
    Cheers, Markuchi. It's all being built by qualified family, just nobody has really had any experience with buying the kitset, or living in one, which is where you might find issues with the actual set.

4. Post
    Which kitset?

5. Post
    Who's doing BC and RC ? What type of foundation? Who's designing that and giving you a PS3? LBP in the family? Does the company doing the kit work out bracing elements etc?
    I assume these things are sorted?

6. Post
    Markuchi wrote:
    I've heard it doesn't really save much unless you are doing it yourself in case it will take your own time/money. If you are working another job and cant dedicate time to it I would argue its not worth it.

Better to work with a building company who have ready made plans to do it if you are going to contract out the building to another company anyways. I can foresee lots of issues with purchasing a kitset and getting someone else to do it.

Usually larger building companies will have the house up in about 3-4 months from the foundation being done and this is them being a well oiled machine with good project management.
    I'd have to agree with this. Unless your relative is gifting their time to you, this is not an economically sound approach.

7. Post
    Thanks for all the advice. The time is all free. Everything is sorted, just looking for a kitset.

8. Post
    My partner and I looked into kitset homes. We got close on this one http://imaginekithomes.com.au/plan/bleuscape/

The kit is $63,500.

Nice home, but with shipping and extras (they don’t include kitchen, laundry or bathroom, or double glazing or insulation in the build kit) it was out of our price range, considering we would have been paying a builder as well. Might have been a candidate otherwise.

KIT MATERIALS

* 5 sets of architectural plans and specifications for council.

* Additional set of detail plans for construction including an accessories schedule.

* Engineers certification for all structural aspects of the building and if required an engineered floor system design.

* Standard concrete slab plan including detailed set out for tie down requirements.

* All fixings and detailed set out plans.

* Prefabricated Steel wall frames supplied with assembly details for ease of construction.

* High tensile tie down bolts for fixing all wall framing.

* Prefabricated steel roof trusses and associated roof members.

* 40mm steel roof battens and 22mm steel ceiling battens.

* Colorbond roof sheets, ridge capping, valleys, barge capping and all fixings.

* Colorbond fascia and quad gutters with all clips, fixings, brackets and outlets.

* Aluminium sliding windows and sliding doors.

* Hardiflex, Hardi Plank or Blue Board cladding for building exterior (other claddings available at additional cost).

* All fixings, flashings and timber battens for external cladding

* 50mm Anti Con roof blanket to main roof area.

* Double sided wall insulation to exterior walls and gable ends.

* 10mm plasterboard internal linings to ceiling and walls including all fixings, paper joining tape, setting compound and external metal corners.

* 6mm villaboard internal linings to all wet areas.

* 90mm cove cornice and adhesive.

* Gainsborough G2 series contemporary internal angular levers with 65mm round rosettes to all internal swing doors with privacy sets to bathroom, ensuite, wc.

* Front entry – 2040mmx820mm corinthian pmad104 with translucent glazing & standard 140mm timber single timber entry frame (no sidelights) included. Gainsborough contemporary series single cylinder angular trilock included.

* Internal doors are redicoat hollow core doors including door jambs.

* Architraves – 42x12mm skirtings.

* Skirting -68x12mm skirting bullnose.

* Eaves moulding – 19x19mm bullnose.

* Robes as per plans.

* Robe and linen cupboard supports – 42x19mm.

* Robe and linen cupboard shelving – 16mm white melamine.

* Chrome hanging rails and supports in all robes.

9. Post
    Jizah wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice. The time is all free. Everything is sorted, just looking for a kitset.
    In that case I'd say Lockwood, purely given their longevity. Most kit suppliers are a bit fly by night.

10. Post
    If i could pay to not have my family build it, that's what i'd do, even if qualified. The politics and potential issues are so not worth it!

Also there's a lot of stuff not accounted for, and if there's mistakes, there's no contract with the builder ..

11. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    If i could pay to not have my family build it, that's what i'd do, even if qualified. The politics and potential issues are so not worth it!

Also there's a lot of stuff not accounted for, and if there's mistakes, there's no contract with the builder ..
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. These are the types of things that cause fractures in relationships.

12. Post
    If only it was as simple as clicking on an SCV and going "build house there"

I looked into a kitset house a few years ago. Wasn't economical if I'm not building it myself.

13. Post
    There's prebuilt homes by this company in Huntly of all places: https://www.builtsmart.co.nz/

We've also looked at wooden Fraemohs homes - apparently the walls just slot together like lego, but you'd still have to do the foundation/roof by someone who knows what they are doing - https://fraemohs.co.nz/

14. Post
    prefabs where it's at yo.

firstlight and makers of architecture -b

15. Post
    Wouldn't touch frameohs myself. prebuilt stuff at builtsmart (PLB it was once called) is ok. It's cheap, but thats the idea i guess

Prefab is mixed bag, everyones super keen on it, but what is being built is still not high quality, NZ has a lot of learning to do on prefab before it's where it needs to be

16. Post
    Prefab is a bit dumb, because people presume it saves cost. Most prefab places are replacing quality materials with shit materials, and that's what makes it cheap. All you're really saving on is the cost for a draught-person to draw plans, and a QS to price them. The rest is bollocks.

I mean, who can supply materials cheaper, some random kitset builder selling 50 houses a year, or Bunnings, who supply materials to make thousands of houses a year.

17. Post
    Depends.. concision can definitely do it cheaper by building in volume, you save on labour, build time, site time, you can control quality in the factory. it has amazing potential. the problem is we number 8 wire it and half ass the outcomes, by rushing to the end goal without factoring in actual constructed quality

18. Post
    True dat. A local school added 3 prefab classrooms, ended up costing the same as if they were built on site, and the buildings are a bit of a compromise.

There's some pretty mediocre project management all over the show.

19. Post
    Jizah wrote:
    I have a contact who can provide you more information, different Kitset options and sell you a Kitset. PM me your email address and I will pass it on to them. Also let me know what you are after / how many rooms etc. When I can afford it and have some land, I hope to buy one from him myself.

20. Post
    In my 14 years of construction industry experience (6 as carpenter) (8 as a QS) volume built or kitsit houses are minimum spec and best suit people that just want a functioning shelter.

I spend a lot on my architectural design home which essentially is as high spec as you would go for its footprint (106m2). The quality and functional uses of the limited space could not be achieved within a spec or kitset house, but that is the difference between a $1,800-2,200/m2 house vs $4,000+/m2 house. You can clearly say that I've over capitalised the site, however I could not buy a similar quality house/property for less than the $700k+ club in chch.

In short, you pay for what you get.

21. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    Wouldn't touch frameohs myself. prebuilt stuff at builtsmart (PLB it was once called) is ok.
    Sorry, a bit late to this thread. But I'm considering both a Fraemohs kitset and a BuiltSMART home. Actually, near to signing a contract with Fraemohs so was wondering why you wouldn't touch them? I've only found one bad review for Fraemohs though there weren't many reviews I could find at all, so not sure what to make of it. Got some issues with the Fraemohs contract - I may be the first person to actually read the contract!

22. Post
    That's not the first time I've heard negative things about Frameohs, though when I last looked reviews of them of any kind were a bit thin on the ground.

23. Post
    Have you had a quote for a regular build of comparative quality and size?

24. Post
    MikeRoberts wrote:
    Sorry, a bit late to this thread. But I'm considering both a Fraemohs kitset and a BuiltSMART home. Actually, near to signing a contract with Fraemohs so was wondering why you wouldn't touch them? I've only found one bad review for Fraemohs though there weren't many reviews I could find at all, so not sure what to make of it. Got some issues with the Fraemohs contract - I may be the first person to actually read the contract!
    There's not anything 'wrong' with them per se.

To me though they didn't have the third party validation available that would get them through council without question, though that can be worked around.

The other part of it was that there were better systems for the money such as SIPS panels that give superior insulation.

Built Smart do a decent affordable unit, they are part of PLB who are based in Huntly. Only 'downside' is it does look a little like an affordable house. But do you care?

25. Post
    No idea about NZ but overseas, Uk for instance, there is a massive choice, way cheaper and some rather lovely houses. If we get that sort of thing, then I'm a fan.