Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post

Quotes and estimates

Markuchi wrote:
    Have you had a quote for a regular build of comparative quality and size?
    No, not a quote but we did get a rough estimate from another company which provides similar kitsets (Eurowood). Their figure was considerably more than Fraemohs, which is a shame as I slightly prefer the Eurowood homes.

No quotes for a complete build of a solid timber home. For a relocatable home sites like BiltSMART and Lattitude Home do provide full build prices and they seem very good value.

I'm really just concerned about some of the Fraemohs contract conditions and can't find much about their after sales service.

2. Post
    EzyE wrote:
    That's not the first time I've heard negative things about Frameohs, though when I last looked reviews of them of any kind were a bit thin on the ground.
    Yeah, independent reviews are hard to find (I tend not to give too much weight to testimonials on a company's own site) but are generally positive; I've only seen one bad piece of feedback and a couple of negative things here, but none that have much detail.

3. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    The other part of it was that there were better systems for the money such as SIPS panels that give superior insulation.
    I haven't really found any companies that use SIPs, I've only seen them used in bespoke situations. Do you know of any? I don't think metrapanels, used by BuiltSMART and Panelwood, are SIPs but do seem to provide good strength.
    one_red_god wrote:
    Built Smart do a decent affordable unit, they are part of PLB who are based in Huntly. Only 'downside' is it does look a little like an affordable house. But do you care?
    That doesn't really bother me. I've always liked the solid wood homes but would definitely consider a good quality "affordable" house. However, I'm getting very close to the stage of needing make a decision.

4. Post
    SIPS are a great product, but typically they are just that, a product. So you do need your own designer / engineer etc.

Medium density panels (metra, et all) are ok, my preference would be only to use if built in a factory as they aren't the best if left out too long in weather (not a reflection on the panels, purely a construction programming thing)

The other thing would be the financing - will your bank lend on a house that doesn't exist until it's finished?

5. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    SIPS are a great product, but typically they are just that, a product. So you do need your own designer / engineer etc.

Medium density panels (metra, et all) are ok, my preference would be only to use if built in a factory as they aren't the best if left out too long in weather (not a reflection on the panels, purely a construction programming thing)

The other thing would be the financing - will your bank lend on a house that doesn't exist until it's finished?
    Thanks.

Well, I've decided to put the Fraemohs contract by a legal expert. If that is OK, then I'll go with them. If not, then SIPs and Metrapanels will come into play again.

Financing isn't a problem (just), unless we have a blow out!

6. Post
    Keeley, double brick vs timber with hardie siding?

7. Post
    Use FB bro!!

Ideally the heavy material option due to thermal mass (works all seasons). Brick has a superior lifespan and is by far one of the cheapest cladding options in NZ.

8. Post
    MikeRoberts wrote:
    Sorry, a bit late to this thread. But I'm considering both a Fraemohs kitset and a BuiltSMART home. Actually, near to signing a contract with Fraemohs so was wondering why you wouldn't touch them? I've only found one bad review for Fraemohs though there weren't many reviews I could find at all, so not sure what to make of it. Got some issues with the Fraemohs contract - I may be the first person to actually read the contract!
    Hi did you go for fraemohs in the end? I am looking at them got quote already but it would be great to have first hand opinions, getting in touch would be great ! Thank you

9. Post
    lenek wrote:
    Hi did you go for fraemohs in the end? I am looking at them got quote already but it would be great to have first hand opinions, getting in touch would be great ! Thank you
    Hi Lenek, we are building a Fraemohs home. Would not recommend tbh. We've had nothing but trouble. Bits missing or faulty. Slow and frustrating support. Lack of proper instruction. I love the aesthetic, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

10. Post
    Anyone have any knowledge/experience of cross laminated timber?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=UYzlbdtL_qo

It's just beginning to appear here in NZ but seems to been used in Europe for a lot longer.

11. Post
    I've been on large projects using CLT. I also considered building my extension with CLT walls and roof. Too expensive for general domestic purposes, fine if that is the material you want and you want to pay the difference.

Commercially its hard to stack up due to many factors that favour steel and concrete structure (fire, clear space, vibration, acoustics etc).

Its been readily available in NZ since late 2000s, scale is never going to be kind to NZ construction.

Source: I'm a Registered Quantity Surveyor

12. Post
    It's 'all the rage' and being used on many new projects coming up. It's only expensive if you use xlam as it's a non competitive market in NZ.

It's 50% cheaper to bring in CLT from europe, even after shipping.

re Fire and Acoustics, it's fine. Complies, local testing is underway.

However, would agree it's not worthwhile for your average single dwelling owner builder.

It will become more and more popular due to the environmentally superior carbon footprint.

13. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    ... bring in CLT from europe, even after shipping.

... environmentally superior carbon footprint.
    Not until the former is fixed will the latter be true.

14. Post
    They aren't the same statement :P

You're right, can't have both, till next year, when local supply comes on line. But then it'll be a good option

15. Post
    Hi GPers I am in the process of getting into home ownership and would like all the help I can get. The idea I have in mind is getting a small plot of land in Pokeno and putting a nice house on it.

I have nailed down what I like to the following.

Signature Homes
    Keith Hay Homes
    Lockwood Homes

Would love all the information i can get with people that have dealt with them.

16. Post
    They're all long standing house builders so I would expect them to do a fair job with a reasonable level of professionalism and efficiency. Some of your experience is going to be dependent on the competency of the foreman and nominated subcontractors.

Don't go cheap on fittings (i.e. kitchen, bath, hinges etc).

You may not get the best bang for buck as a first time buyer opting for new, but it'll obviously give you less maintenance and renovation to contend with.

Good luck with it.

17. Post
    Don't forget landscaping, driveway and footpath costs. The amount of new builds I see around that 6 months after completion still have no lawn and a clay garden because they forgot/couldn't afford the landscaping is quite staggering.

18. Post
    You've got them in the prefered order, and probably the cost order too

Signature will builder you the nicest house. But you'll pay.

19. Post
    Jewjew wrote:
    Don't forget landscaping, driveway and footpath costs. The amount of new builds I see around that 6 months after completion still have no lawn and a clay garden because they forgot/couldn't afford the landscaping is quite staggering.
    Took me over a year to do all of my landscaping. Price up paying someone to fully landscape your property vs DIY and you'll see why many people DIY. It's not even just a lack of funds, not many people want to pay 50k to have someone do their garden / lawn / deck. Probably did all my landscaping for what it would have cost to have someone build just my deck. DIY takes longer as you don't always feel like digging holes lol and you're at work earning cash monies.