1. Post
    labcat wrote:
    I don't think you can blame Bruce, he had a decent strike rate. Kitchen was terrible though, his slow batting put too much pressure on the rest of the order, especially for a guy that is supposed to be able to "hit from ball one".
    That was such a silly label to slap on him, that he can do that. He barely looked like getting any away.

labcat wrote:
    I don't think you can blame Bruce, he had a decent strike rate. Kitchen was terrible though, his slow batting put too much pressure on the rest of the order, especially for a guy that is supposed to be able to "hit from ball one".
    How long can we keep saying this though? That's his role, he's yet to play his defining innings and he's played a lot now. He gets some 20's but then gets out.

Try someone new.

2. Post
    Can't remember if I posted the Super Smash stats between Chapman and Kitchen

Chapman: 9 innings, 307 runs, Avg: 34, SR: 172, 100: 1, 50: 2

Kitchen: 6 innings, 71 runs, Avg: 11, SR: 126, 100: 0, 50: 0

Larsen: "Chapman needs to work on his bowling".
    **** off...

3. Post
    oddjob wrote:

**** off...
    I think Larsen is more punchable than Sarfraz right now tbh. Form obviously doesn't matter, maybe it's a race thing. That's all I can think of. They wanted a maori over a hong konger, or at the very least someone currently playing for Otago.

Devcich or Chapman would be so far ahead of Kitchen. Look at Aussie's squad, all the form guys of the BBL are in there. None of our guys played in super smash...

4. Post
    oddjob wrote:

**** off...
    It's like the IPL philosophy of discounting the best bowlers if they can't hold a bat

5. Post
    Form 11 for the Tri Series?

Munro
    Guptill
    Chapman
    Williamson
    De Grandhomme
    Devcich
    Seifert
    Santner
    Wheeler
    Sodhi
    Rance/Tickner

Not ideal for Devvy and Seifert to be down the order though.

6. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    Form 11 for the Tri Series?

Munro
    Guptill
    Chapman
    Williamson
    De Grandhomme
    Devcich
    Seifert
    Santner
    Wheeler
    Sodhi
    Rance/Tickner

Not ideal for Devvy and Seifert to be down the order though.
    I'd be going with something like that. One bad game and Rance is gone? He's still our better yorker bowler. Wheeler needs to play too.

Ah, I'd be putting Taylor in there and telling him to play like he did tonight. Totally free.

Devcich or Taylor really, Devy's darty bowling is a lot better than Kitchen's though. I'd love to see Tickner get a game too, Southee and Boult mehhh, they just don't bowl enough yorkers. Kane 3 and Chapman four. Let's see if they have the balls to do this, zero chance but man we need to start building and this isn't the squad to build with.

If they name an unchanged squad, I'll barely care if we lose. Pick the guys at the top of runs/wicket charts, that's what Aussie do. We're way too concerned with playing the same guys in all forms.

7. Post
    We were in top form & leading them 1 zip out of best of 3 & lose the series, what a cluster****

Our fielding was poor, dropped at least 3 catches we should've taken, the bowling was crap, what with all that short pitch bowling in the 20/20 format ??? that's just dumb-arse stuff, very risky to bowl a lot of it in this format, too easy for them to get under the ball & smash it away, our bowling coach much be bloody useless, clearly he's not getting them to hardly ever practice executing much fuller length balls.

I suppose you can understand them using Williamson to open with Munro missing, but wouldn't play him there again, he's a worker of the ball, we need two aggressive players to open, have to look for another aggressive opener that can cover that spot if either Guppy or Munro get injured, at least one good thing has come from the match, Guppy is getting some form back.

8. Post
    signman wrote:
    We were in top form & leading them 1 zip out of best of 3 & lose the series, what a cluster****

Our fielding was poor, dropped at least 3 catches we should've taken, the bowling was crap, what with all that short pitch bowling in the 20/20 format ??? that's just dumb-arse stuff, very risky to bowl a lot of it in this format, too easy for them to get under the ball & smash it away, our bowling coach much be bloody useless, clearly he's not getting them to hardly ever practice executing much fuller length balls.

I suppose you can understand them using Williamson to open with Munro missing, but wouldn't play him there again, he's a worker of the ball, we need two aggressive players to open, have to look for another aggressive opener that can cover that spot if either Guppy or Munro get injured, at least one good thing has come from the match, Guppy is getting some form back.
    How on earth does the word 'cluster****' apply here? We were one up because he bowled first in Wellington and it was zipping about. Pakistan made changes from game one but they showed signs with the ball they could compete.

The changes they made worked, we like to bat first too and they batted first twice. Missing Munro is a big loss, he loves the bay oval. We were in great ODI form, who exactly have we beaten in T20's? Windies? That was Munro and not many others, our batting is pants when tested.

Pakistan simply bowled and fielded much better than us, if we got to face our attack I reckon we'd score plenty too. Amir was rightfully the man of the series, very tough to get away.

When have Munro and Guptill both fired together? Rarely if ever, one goes, usually Colin. Gup doesn't do anything other than dab with him. Two aggressive isn't always the answer, but Devcich should have come in, and still should come in for Kane. Aussie aren't playing Smith, England aren't playing Root.

9. Post
    <N> wrote:
    How on earth does the word 'cluster****' apply here? We were one up because he bowled first in Wellington and it was zipping about. Pakistan made changes from game one but they showed signs with the ball they could compete.

The changes they made worked, we like to bat first too and they batted first twice. Missing Munro is a big loss, he loves the bay oval. We were in great ODI form, who exactly have we beaten in T20's? Windies? That was Munro and not many others, our batting is pants when tested.

Pakistan simply bowled and fielded much better than us, if we got to face our attack I reckon we'd score plenty too. Amir was rightfully the man of the series, very tough to get away.

When have Munro and Guptill both fired together? Rarely if ever, one goes, usually Colin. Gup doesn't do anything other than dab with him. Two aggressive isn't always the answer, but Devcich should have come in, and still should come in for Kane. Aussie aren't playing Smith, England aren't playing Root.
    It was definitely a cluster****, sport has a hell of a lot to do with confidence, we've been all over them confidence wise the whole tour from the tests, ODIs to the Ist 20/20... no doubt about it Pakistan did improve, but you're not taking into account that our standards also dropped, we're probably the best fielding side in the world, last night we were bloody awful in the field & the girls cricket team would've smashed our bowling around last night seriously though how thick was it by us to bowl a ton of short stuff in 20/20 ?

Guppy was out injured for a while & was down on a bit of confidence & form, he showed good signs in the 3rd 20/0 that he's coming back to his best, both Guppy & Munro don't need to fire at the same time, both as we know can murder any attack & it's about controlled aggression not stupid shot selections.

Agreed, the openers should've been the Guppy/Devcish combo, would have Taylor at 3 & Williamson at 4 in 20/20, we need a better balanced batting order, the top 6 we had in the last match was a bit of a shambles, much more thought needs to be put into our bowling strategy too

10. Post
    signman wrote:
    It was definitely a cluster****, sport has a hell of a lot to do with confidence, we've been all over them confidence wise the whole tour from the tests, ODIs to the Ist 20/20... no doubt about it Pakistan did improve, but you're not taking into account that our standards also dropped, we're probably the best fielding side in the world, last night we were bloody awful in the field & the girls cricket team would've smashed our bowling around last night seriously though how thick was it by us to bowl a ton of short stuff in 20/20 ?

Guppy was out injured for a while & was down on a bit of confidence & form, he showed good signs in the 3rd 20/0 that he's coming back to his best, both Guppy & Munro don't need to fire at the same time, both as we know can murder any attack & it's about controlled aggression not stupid shot selections.

Agreed, the openers should've been the Guppy/Devcish combo, would have Taylor at 3 & Williamson at 4 in 20/20, we need a better balanced batting order, the top 6 we had in the last match was a bit of a shambles, much more thought needs to be put into our bowling strategy too
    Can't recall playing any tests against Pakistan?

Again - I'm not seeing us doing much different. We rely heavily on Munro in T20's and will continue to. We dominated the ODI series - yes, different team and format that suits us much more. First T20 was obviously a bad indication, Pakistan are known for their quick turnarounds in form and they were hitting and catching most things in the 2nd and 3rd match. Our bowling was rubbish as it has been in some time in T20's, even Sodhi was well off his best yesterday. I think the IPL auction affected him.

I didn't see much hope given the team we picked, it's a selection of guys out of form and left-wing nutter picks. Waiting to see what they'll come up with for the tri-series.
    Last edited by <N>; 29th January 2018 at 11:32 am.

11. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Can't recall playing any tests against Pakistan?

Again - I'm not seeing us doing much different. We rely heavily on Munro in T20's and will continue to. We dominated the ODI series - yes, different team and format that suits us much more. First T20 was obviously a bad indication, Pakistan are known for their quick turnarounds in form and they were hitting and catching most things in the 2nd and 3rd match. Our bowling was rubbish as it has been in some time in T20's, even Sodhi was well off his best yesterday. I think the IPL auction affected him.

I didn't see much hope given the team we picked, it's a selection of guys out of form and left-wing nutter picks. Waiting to see what they'll come up with for the tri-series.
    Yeah, my mistake, it's just that we've been winning that much lately thought I'd throw in a test series against Pakistan as well

Munro is in red hot form at the moment, that won't last for ever though, as said Guppy's coming back into form & he's shown many a time before how consistently dangerous he is, so we clearly don't just have to rely on Munro at the top, it's the rest of the top order where we have to get the balance right.

True, reckon that the team they selected no one would've agreed with.

Yeah, Pakistan are known for their quick turnarounds... but to be honest losing that series was bloody disappointing, we had everything in our favour, we were number 1, playing in our own backyard, were 1 up out of best of 3, form was really good, in the last two the bloody wheels fell off, certainly not good enough.

12. Post
    Wow...no Hot Spot because Sky & NZC wanted to save a few bucks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11983981

13. Post
    labcat wrote:
    Is that you Tom?

14. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Wow...no Hot Spot because Sky & NZC wanted to save a few bucks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11983981
    That's crap. It should be mandated by the ICC.

15. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    That's crap. It should be mandated by the ICC.
    If that kept Ross out there last night, it could've helped win the series and maintain the #1 ranking

16. Post
    New Zealand squad: Kane Williamson (c), Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Tom Bruce, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Anaru Kitchen, Colin Munro, Seth Rance, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Ben Wheeler.

how the **** are Bruce and Kitchen still there?

17. Post
    I know Azam has a good T20 average and all but top ranked T20 batsman? C'mon... http://www.cricket.com.au/news/icc-r...ins/2018-01-29

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...g;view=innings

Lots of not outs for a #3, apart from his recent 50 and world XI scores he's done bugger all. S/R of 122... I feel like strikerate should factor in far more than average.

18. Post
    turning_point wrote:
    New Zealand squad: Kane Williamson (c), Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Tom Bruce, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Anaru Kitchen, Colin Munro, Seth Rance, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Ben Wheeler.

how the **** are Bruce and Kitchen still there?
    May as well kiss any hope of winning the try series goodbye.

I feel that the recent winning streak we were on has hid how boneheaded some of these selections are. Larsen and Hesson need to have a good hard look at why they continue to select these guys, I mean ffs Kitchen is at the tail end of his career and has never even really done anything of note domestically. But yeah, let's unleash him against two of the powerhouses of world cricket.

Devcich offers so much more with bat & ball than Kitchen or Bruce, and Chapman is easily the best batsman out of the lot of them. Annoys me to no end that NZ cricket has been continuously plagued by these hair brain selections for as long as I can remember.

19. Post
    ErAd wrote:
    May as well kiss any hope of winning the try series goodbye.

I feel that the recent winning streak we were on has hid how boneheaded some of these selections are. Larsen and Hesson need to have a good hard look at why they continue to select these guys, I mean ffs Kitchen is at the tail end of his career and has never even really done anything of note domestically. But yeah, let's unleash him against two of the powerhouses of world cricket.

Devcich offers so much more with bat & ball than Kitchen or Bruce, and Chapman is easily the best batsman out of the lot of them. Annoys me to no end that NZ cricket has been continuously plagued by these hair brain selections for as long as I can remember.
    It's not ideal but It's T20, to say we don't have a chance isn't right. This is a very new Aussie team, no one knows how they'll go. Raw talent - yes.

If Munro and Gup fire we can beat anyone, same with Sodhi and Santner, CdG... plenty of match-winners in this side, especially on what could be a spinners wicket in Sydney. Then back to Wellington which suited us.

Our team is hardly bad just because we lost a couple of chases, we won't be seeing Kitchen batting 3 again I can assure you that. We're definitely a bat-first side, so are Pakistan. Wellington was the only wicket that did something. Runs on the board pressure is huge in T20's.

I'd recall Wheeler, Rance and Munro for Saturday... if we lose we may see changes to the squad given it's 10 days before our 2nd match.

The problem with picking absolute newbies like Kitchen, Chapman is that they may not play their natural games and instead bat for their spot in the side, it's costly. Bruce has done it for a while now. I don't think Devcich would do that, he'd play his natural game given he's been there before.

20. Post
    <N> wrote:

The problem with picking absolute newbies like Kitchen, Chapman is that they may not play their natural games and instead bat for their spot in the side, it's costly. Bruce has done it for a while now. I don't think Devcich would do that, he'd play his natural game given he's been there before.
    Whether a newbie or someone that's played for us before need to play their natural game, because they're very comfortable playing that way you'll get the best out of them.

21. Post
    This post could go in any thread really but I will make it here.

I want to post my current thoughts on Henry Nicholls.

I have the unshakeable feeling I am watching an Australian batsman when I watch Nicholls. He is "busy" at the crease and seems good for 30 runs every time he walks out to bat.

New Zealand batsman by contrast are usually less reliable and will score a 70 one inning and a blob the next. They also strike more boundaries than Australian batsman and rely less on running between the wickets.

Nicholls is compact and has a tight technique. Again this reminds me of an Australian.

The only thing he really does that reminds me of a Kiwi is that he is a fighter. And when the chips are down and the wickets are tumbling sometimes he will come out and score a 50. I find that aspect of his batting to the best as you can't teach someone to be a fighter. You either are one you aren't.

His work ons are numerous. E.g. scoring quickly in ODIs, hitting out at the death (although he has done this in one inning), and others.

But he seems to be doing "ok".

22. Post
    That post is funnier given Nicholls got a blob today.

He's batting 3 for Canterbury which seems a tad high given his role for NZ. Nicholls seems to be able to get runs in pressure situations, but when there is less pressure like hitting at the end, he can walk in and back in an instant.