1. Post

Ping, gaming and Spark

Hi I am with Spark and playing a FPS, (Star Wars Battlefront 2). I am with Spark Fibre, and use wired LAN, and my ping to ISP is 1 ms, and nothing else happens at home - no streaming, no downloading etc.
    Is there any way to improve gaming performance? Any specific thing I can do with my ISP?
    I lag quite badly, and if the opponent shoots me after I shoot them, i get killed!

Thanks

2. Post
    Don't play on North American and European servers. Stick to Oceania and South-East Asia servers.

3. Post
    also use a better router than the default POS one spark gives ya.

4. Post
    OP is not providing enough information, let's get some more info like tracert and ping tests, what server are they connecting to etc

5. Post
    Is it just BF2? Haven't had the best performance with BF2, constant lagging etc and everyone on the server is from Aus/NZ and say the same too.

6. Post
    I thought he plays Battlefront 2, not Battlefield2?

7. Post
    Thanks, i don't know what servers the game connects to. I can see a few regional servers in the options menu, but I don't think I can select any, or if it guarantees it will connect to those. I don't see options for specific servers.

Regions are Australia 44 ms, South Korea 110 ms. The rest are much higher.

Router Asus AC3200
    Last edited by joker97; 16th January 2018 at 2:35 pm.

8. Post
    Do any other games lag similarly? You might be trying to solve a problem that isn't yours.

Upgrade the router to the latest firmware too, if you haven't already.

9. Post
    I think being in NZ I'm going to be lagging just because of my location, but I thought there might magic bullets like ISP profiles or something, but maybe not.

Router is using latest firmware. We are not internet heavy household, I'm the only one using most of the bandwidth.

10. Post
    44ms is fine and should be no lag for BF2

11. Post
    44ms to AU is quite good tbh.

12. Post
    Ok thanks that's good to know. I choose that server but sometimes I play with guys who
    - shoots and kills me through walls
    - kills me when i shoot first
    - i die when on the screen the are killed by me!

So I asked what server am I on and they replied south korea (I checked just now and south korea is 188ms ping)

Thought I'd ask if there are magic switches etc and if the ping to AU looks ok or not.

So everything is working as intended.
    There have been many complaints about SWBF2 server lag, so maybe it's in the EA side of things.

13. Post
    Maybe they're cheating?

14. Post
    Or don't play on the god tier of multiplayer gaming that is south korea lol

15. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    also use a better router than the default POS one spark gives ya.
    They only do 10mb download right? What a waste on fiber that can reach 100mb.

16. Post
    CoolShady wrote:
    Maybe they're cheating?
    Possible, but more likely lag, when you add all of the above.
    When the lag is bad, there is noticable rubber banding too.

17. Post
    Pubcrawl wrote:
    Or don't play on the god tier of multiplayer gaming that is south korea lol
    Yup when I saw I was on the SK server I knew I wouldn't stand a chance, but the rubber banding made it a waste of time lol. But had no control over the server, I chose Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

Britneys Spear wrote:
    No my UFB goes to 950Mbps and the supplied router does 1000Mbps

18. Post
    I remember in BF1 it would put me in random NA or Asian servers sometimes and it would be really noticeable, they did not allow you to pick a region and just matched you to the best at the time which apparently meant instead of waiting for an open spot on AU they'd plonk you wherever. It is the reason I quit playing BF1.

19. Post
    Britneys Spear wrote:
    I dunno but my huawei router blew up on me and I couldn't be ****ed asking spark for a new one lol and the speed tests were pretty bad when it was working. Now I've got a Nighthawk AC2300. Steadier speed overall

20. Post
    joker97 wrote:
    Ok thanks that's good to know. I choose that server but sometimes I play with guys who
    - shoots and kills me through walls
    - kills me when i shoot first
    - i die when on the screen the are killed by me!

So I asked what server am I on and they replied south korea (I checked just now and south korea is 188ms ping)

Thought I'd ask if there are magic switches etc and if the ping to AU looks ok or not.

So everything is working as intended.
    There have been many complaints about SWBF2 server lag, so maybe it's in the EA side of things.
    Sounds like you're a n00b

21. Post
    Rebound wrote:
    Sounds like you're a n00b
    Yep. 1PARA would never complain.

22. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Yep. 1PARA would never complain.
    > Hacker