PSA. Pimp you Nintendo Switch. The big hand, big screen edition

Right, so I have done some pimping.

Puchased this
    Separate Charging Grip for Nintendo Switch
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	separate-charging-grip-for-nintendo-switch-521651.4.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	220752 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	separate-charging-grip-for-nintendo-switch-521651.8.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	220753
    This is a 3 piece. 2 large grips and the central charging unit, as shown in the first pc. Includes micro usb cable for charging.
    This the the most versatile, and even using the joy con detached they feel fantastic.
    Downside. 2 player using the joycons is not ideal when using long ways even though the joy con straps connect perfectly. The additional girth makes Mariokarting 2 player not great.
    The separate grips are slightly larger in the hand than those in the case below and super light. I think in the hand they are slightly better, but dont feel as sturdy. They're also a pain to remove if you want to use the joy cons separately for 2 player mode with the rail 'shoulder' buttons.

and this
    Grip Case for Nintendo Switch by Skull & Co.

Both are fantastic! I use the grip case more as it has a fantastic carry case that everything fits in nicely. The grip case is more robust, but obviously locks you into that form factor if you want the chunky grips.
    The bonus for buying both is that when using the grip case the joy con charging unit fits in the grip case carry case so I can use it if I want to have a "controller" with table top mode.

Been using this too.
    Mcbazel Mayflash MAGIC-NS Wireless Adapter for Nintendo Switch
    Its super cheap, and I have attached my dual shock 4, and XBox One S controller via bluetooth to my switch no problems. My Xbox One Elite controller works via USB. So it does exactly what it says. Seems any bluetooth controller works perfectly with it, and any wired controller will work just by plugging in.
    Highly recommended.

Lastly, after much delay this arrived
    Marseille Inc. mCable Gaming Edition HDMI with Anti Aliasing chip.

It works. Noticeably less jaggies, and smoother over all, no lag, or latency.
    It is worth the price? Well, probably not. The non sale price in NZD incl shipping is $185. Thankfully I got it on sale for around $95. Still a hard sell, but I was curious. So if you have the disposible funds and a big enough screen it does improve things.

IMO these all solve the biggest issues I have with the device, and any large handed, or already own too many controller folk out there can happily move forward and buy one of these awesome devices. The Anti Aliasing HDMi cable is an unnecessary luxury, but I have no regrets buying it.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 5th February 2018 at 10:56 pm.

2. Post
    "dock friendly"

3. Post
    Kog wrote:
    "dock friendly"

Works fine on mine, no issues at all. No scraping the screen at all.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 6th February 2018 at 11:11 am.

4. Post
    I'd get a tempered glass screen protector too. They're cheap and work miracles for phones so I'd imagine it'd be no different here.

5. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    What if you have all your systems pass-through a AV receiver or a HDMI switch? The AA effects would be applied to all your other devices too. I necessarily wouldn't want to use external AA when real-time generated software solutions used by PC games and PS4 Pro would probably be superior.

6. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    What if you have all your systems pass-through a AV receiver or a HDMI switch? The AA effects would be applied to all your other devices too. I necessarily wouldn't want to use external AA when real-time generated software solutions used by PC games and PS4 Pro would probably be superior.
    That would only if you used the AA cable between receiver and TV. You could just use it between Nintendo and receiver/switch.

7. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Seems like a strange thing to do, and a strange complaint, you still need to connect to the receiver. So use the cable for that and not from the receiver to the TV. I assume it would still work fine.

8. Post
    The problem with FXAA type solutions (AA the pixels) is that it blurs everything which isn't ideal for gameplay text or HUD elements.

9. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    The problem with FXAA type solutions (AA the pixels) is that it blurs everything which isn't ideal for gameplay text or HUD elements.
    Its a good thing the cable doesn't do FXAA then huh. Its closer to SMAA. Its still a post-process AA solution so will never match rendering solutions, but its a lot better than FXAA.

10. Post
    That's an expensive but intruiging cable, I wonder how it'd work on retro consoles like the snes classic?...

11. Post
    Feliz wrote:
    That's an expensive but intruiging cable, I wonder how it'd work on retro consoles like the snes classic?...
    Not so great. The algorithm apparently does not play well with super low res 2D. Similar to most of the scalers in Dosbox that over-smooth and blend large pixels together.

12. Post
    darn, that's exactly what I was hoping it would be better at, especially for playing PS1 games on it, those don't look so great without the natural smoothing of a CRT

13. Post
    The grip case looks great. Seriously considering buying. I had something similar for my Vita and it was a huge improvement!

A couple of things tho, while googling around I've found a few comments where people are actually trimming it a little as there is a possible conflict between the power + volume down buttons:

"I used Michelle Lee's idea and cut those bumpers. I also took just a FRACTION off the underside of the extended power button area. Now, I have to push a bit harder for power cycle - but VOL DOWN no longer shuts the Switch off when I'm playing."

Infact there are quite a few more comments similar here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...2743#/comments

I think I'd unclip mine for docked play. That tight fit makes me a little uneasy - I'm sure it's fine but I do wonder if it generates more heat. I recall a few instances where peoples Switches were bending, possibly due to heat. Not sure if this was debunct or what .. regardless, 90% of my play time is hand held.

I've never used Kickstarter or anything similar - did you just use the www.indiegogo.com site? I see it on kickstarter but there's no option to 'back' or purchase or whatever it is :P
    Last edited by Crow#Zero; 7th February 2018 at 11:40 am.

14. Post
    That Skull & Co grip case looks brilliant. Will wait until it becomes available locally. Cable also looks intriguing, but too pricey for me to want to invest in it.

Thanks for the heads up, Chris

15. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    The grip case looks great. Seriously considering buying. I had something similar for my Vita and it was a huge improvement!

A couple of things tho, while googling around I've found a few comments where people are actually trimming it a little as there is a possible conflict between the power + volume down buttons:

"I used Michelle Lee's idea and cut those bumpers. I also took just a FRACTION off the underside of the extended power button area. Now, I have to push a bit harder for power cycle - but VOL DOWN no longer shuts the Switch off when I'm playing."

Infact there are quite a few more comments similar here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...2743#/comments

I think I'd unclip mine for docked play. That tight fit makes me a little uneasy - I'm sure it's fine but I do wonder if it generates more heat. I recall a few instances where peoples Switches were bending, possibly due to heat. Not sure if this was debunct or what .. regardless, 90% of my play time is hand held.

I've never used Kickstarter or anything similar - did you just use the www.indiegogo.com site? I see it on kickstarter but there's no option to 'back' or purchase or whatever it is :P
    I dont use it docked in the case, not because it doesn't fit, but because the grips dont let me use the USB ports on the side, and I am using one of them for the controller adapter.
    I understand there was a minor variance in one of the production runs where some parts required minor trimming. I've not experienced it though. Case work perfectly, docks perfectly, and feels good in the hand.

As for ordering. Just use the Indiegogo page. You are direct ordering as the project is complete. They send out batch shipments every week or so. So the wait is maybe 2 weeks or there abouts.

16. Post
    Thanks. Currently comparing a whole bunch of them. This one by MEO seems pretty similar: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swit...1&keywords=meo

I'm looking to buy 2 and since the gripcase comes with a separate carry case then I'll probably go with that.

17. Post

18. Post
    lol, the Aliexpress one stole the promo art from the rip off it ripped off. Oh China you so cray!

19. Post
    Been using this too.
    Mcbazel Mayflash MAGIC-NS Wireless Adapter for Nintendo Switch
    Its super cheap, and I have attached my dual shock 4, and XBox One S controller via bluetooth to my switch no problems. My Xbox One Elite controller works via USB. So it does exactly what it says. Seems any bluetooth controller works perfectly with it, and any wired controller will work just by plugging in.
    Highly recommended.
    Does this work with bluetooth headphones? Or am I stuck with using my 10m extension cord that I keep tripping over

20. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Does this work with bluetooth headphones? Or am I stuck with using my 10m extension cord that I keep tripping over
    I doubt it. Seems to be designed specifically for controllers.

21. Post
    Ok just ordered the gripcase x 2 ($85 USD), one for me and one for my son. I was considering the cheaper alternatives but this also comes with the case for each one and shipping was free so works out pretty well. Still scary reading some of the minor defects but seeing more positive than negative feedback so fingers crossed.

How long did yours take to arrive?

22. Post
    Almost 2 weeks, but that was just after new years. I think there is a shipment every week or so.

The carry case is great with a lot of storage. In mine I have:
    Console in the grip case obviously
    1 charge cable (Type C)
    Joycon charger/grip (see the 1st post)
    1 charge cable (microusb)
    2x joy con straps/rails
    1x usb power adapter
    1x portable dock
    1x HDMI cable.
    1x earbuds.
    small bag of thumb grips
    And has storage for 10 game cards.

Name:	20180207_153525.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	220765

Name:	20180207_153600.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	220766

Name:	20180207_153715.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	220767

Name:	20180207_153620.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	220768

Name:	20180207_153649.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	220769

There is a compartment under the console due to the case needing to accommodate the large grips, as well as the top compartment.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 7th February 2018 at 4:44 pm.

23. Post
    Sweet thanks. Yeah I had to make a quick decision coz a ) i was spending too much time in the office comparing them while work piled up and b ) they stop shipping tomorrow for Chinese New Year.

24. Post
    Anyone found a source of thumb-stick covers by themselves? I can only find them as part of other things and I'm worried about them wearing out given how poorly the ones on the PS4 controllers lasted.

This Gripcase looks good, and the case looks a lot less tacky than the Zelda one I have currently. I've got the Nyko red/blue case on my Switch currently which is quite good but the bigger grips would be a bonus for my massive mitts. Will give this a crack, thanks.

And as others have said, get a tempered glass screen protector, they're very cheap, easy to apply and will save the screen.
    Last edited by KnightNZ; 8th February 2018 at 10:40 am.

25. Post
    KnightNZ wrote:
    Anyone found a source of thumb-stick covers by themselves? I can only find them as part of other things and I'm worried about them wearing out given how poorly the ones on the PS4 controllers lasted..
    There are heaps. Quick search on Amazon and Ebay
    https://www.amazon.com/QuickShot-Pla...ch+thumb+grips
    https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swit...ch+thumb+grips
    https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Sili...b%2Bgrips&th=1
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Silicone-...ftSFsMevhNZM7Q
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Silicon...oAAOSwfpBaXbgg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Lot-Re...hWaDxwd5GCYCKw