England Tour New Zealand 2018

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Grass Smass - half the basin reserve is grass and it fills up first.
    One day is fine. 4 days in a row on it with no shelter from the weather is another. Besides which I personally wouldn't watch an entire test match even on TV.

2. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    One day is fine. 4 days in a row on it with no shelter from the weather is another. Besides which I personally wouldn't watch an entire test match even on TV.
    4 days is excessive anyway for anyone. My record is 3 days and that happened because I went with a different friend each day and caught up with their life and family news over 7 hours and then met a different mate the next day. As you may have gathered from my frequent posts I can talk about cricket quite easily so I thoroughly enjoy spending a day talking about and watching cricket. I hope you go to a single day then. you won't regret it and it is good to support the team in all aspects of that word.

3. Post
    Test doesn't start until the 22nd March ? ...both teams must have gone on holiday

4. Post
    Oh I didn't even think of buying a single day. I could do that on Sat or Sun depending on how the match goes.

5. Post
    signman wrote:
    Test doesn't start until the 22nd March ? ...both teams must have gone on holiday
    Lucky they rested so many players throughout the season then! The rest has done Kane wonders

6. Post
    signman wrote:
    Nah. Few tour games between the odis and the tests

7. Post
    BLACKCAPS Test squad

Kane Williamson (c)
    Todd Astle
    Trent Boult
    Colin de Grandhomme
    Matt Henry
    Tom Latham
    Henry Nicholls
    Jeet Raval
    Tim Southee
    Ross Taylor
    Neil Wagner
    BJ Watling (wk)

8. Post
    Santner out for 9 months

Also can't believe they'd take Astle over Sodhi...

9. Post
    Eden Park is gonna be fullish I think, Pink ball will sell it for them.

10. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Also can't believe they'd take Astle over Sodhi...
    You have to wonder wtf they are thinking.

11. Post
    I wanna get an opinion from the Cricket nut jobs.

Rabadas sentence to harsh? and De Kock and Warner's to soft? or just right?

12. Post
    It's a fairly complex issue but I think Faf summed it up well:

"The charge against KG is a level 2 with three demerit points, and the charge against Davey is a level two with three demerit points. For me, if you look at those incidents, one is brushing of the shirt, the other is a lot more aggressive. My question was: why are both these incidents labeled the same?"
    Not sure the actual offences are being penalised correctly. However Rabada has built up 8 demerit points over the last 2 years so he has to accept the suspension even if this particular incident didn't really warrant 3 demerit points imo.

13. Post
    Raval and Latham out early http://www.nzc.nz/live-streaming

Now Guptill. 13-3 LuL

CdG in at 5, dear oh dear.

14. Post
    30-5 with four of our test top 6 out cheaply. No Kane and Ross to save them today.

15. Post
    Can't believe Astle was selected.

Rather Kane bowled and we played an extra batsman or something.

16. Post
    Only guys getting runs aren't in the test squad, lol. Very impressive from Blundell, coming in at 4-15 and scoring a ton.

Jamieson's previous highest FC score was 40*, currently 47* off 55

oddjob wrote:
    Can't believe Astle was selected.

Rather Kane bowled and we played an extra batsman or something.
    Kane will never bowl enough, he has too much burden already. I'd rather Astle, I'm more worried about CdG, Nicholls and Latham. Little form there and nothing today to give us confidence.

Astle is the best like-for-like replacement for Santner. Don't want to stack the batting more, we have Watling at 6, CdG at 7, Astle at 8
    Last edited by <N>; 14th March 2018 at 7:23 pm.

17. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Only guys getting runs aren't in the test squad, lol. Very impressive from Blundell, coming in at 4-15 and scoring a ton.

Jamieson's previous highest FC score was 40*, currently 47* off 55

Kane will never bowl enough, he has too much burden already. I'd rather Astle, I'm more worried about CdG, Nicholls and Latham. Little form there and nothing today to give us confidence.

Astle is the best like-for-like replacement for Santner. Don't want to stack the batting more, we have Watling at 6, CdG at 7, Astle at 8
    I guess Astle was picked because he can bat better than Sodhi. I would have gone with the long tail.

18. Post
    I assumed Sodhi was already in the side and Astle came in as cover for Mitch...can not for the life of me work out how Astle is picked ahead of Sodhi. Even ****en Root was struggling to pick Sodhi... and Sodhi is in the form of his life! People would go to watch test cricket, just to watch Sodhi bowl as he actually looks like getting wickets with every ball he bowls

19. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    I assumed Sodhi was already in the side and Astle came in as cover for Mitch...can not for the life of me work out how Astle is picked ahead of Sodhi. Even ****en Root was struggling to pick Sodhi... and Sodhi is in the form of his life! People would go to watch test cricket, just to watch Sodhi bowl as he actually looks like getting wickets with every ball he bowls
    Glass ceiling for Sodhi due to the fact he is ethnic? Who knows...no that is cynical and Raval is already in the team. I would say it is something misguided like they don't want the tail starting at number 8.

20. Post
    I'd say it's his perceived batting ability which is stupid really.

Sodhi's FC average is 22 after 90 innings, but that includes 19 innings at Test level.
    Astle's FC average is 26 from 179 innings and only 3 Tests.

Hardly a difference there at all.

Although I wouldn't even pick Southee, it's been noticeable that he's obviously worked on his batting. Pretty much stopped stepping away to leg now, and is playing it along the ground a lot more.

If Southee's sorted himself out I'd have no issues with Sodhi at 8 and Southee at 9.

21. Post
    oddjob wrote:

Sodhi's FC average is 22 after 90 innings, but that includes 19 innings at Test level.
    Astle's FC average is 26 from 179 innings and only 3 Tests.

Hardly a difference there at all.

Although I wouldn't even pick Southee, it's been noticeable that he's obviously worked on his batting. Pretty much stopped stepping away to leg now, and is playing it along the ground a lot more.

If Southee's sorted himself out I'd have no issues with Sodhi at 8 and Southee at 9.
    Excellent post and analysis you should share your thoughts even more often.
    I think the word perceived is key in your post. Sodhi averages something horrendous like 1.5 or 2.2 or something very low in ODIs

I agree with your analysis 22 vs 26 isnít much of a difference and to boot I will add that Astle is a space cadet. By that I mean he should really be averaging about 32 or33 in fc. When he was young he was an opening batsman then he converted to leg spin. He manages to get himself out in bizarre clueless ways. Mark my words as I guarantee one of his dismissals in the tests will be daft thinking.

22. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    Came here to post that Jamieson will get a call up now - a bowler that can bat!!

23. Post
    I'd actually be quite keen for Jamieson to be fast tracked.

Very different bowler to what we have now. That height would be useful.

24. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    I'd actually be quite keen for Jamieson to be fast tracked.

Very different bowler to what we have now. That height would be useful.
    Like the variation that he would add to the attack... haven't seen him, take it he's 2 metres plus tall ? how fast is the bloke ? even if he bowls around mid 130's, with that height is going to get steep bounce & be very awkward to play if those deliveries are directed in line with batsmen.

25. Post
    If Southee could score more run consistently (or even the top order) they would probably see someone like Sodhi as a viable option.

Astle is averaging 37 over the last 2 first class seasons with a highest score of 195
    While Sodhi isn't too bad at 25.8 with a highest score of 48 (he does benefit from 5 not outs if you went by average per innings it is 17.2)

Good to see Blundell putting some pressure on Watling