1. Post
    esoj wrote:
    I bought smash ultimate and the ridley amiibo for my birthday today. What are some good characters to try out for basically a beginner to smash and is it a good idea to just play through the adventure mode before going online?
    Jumping back into smash for the first time in a while I found the default link really good, even if managing his bombs (down b to draw, down b to throw) was a little bit tricky at first.

Since creating a Mii that I love I can't go back to other characters. I get smoked in adventure mode coz he's not unlocked yet. Had to feed one of my primary spirits up to 99, then they 'evolved', raised to 99 again, now I'm actually standing a chance.

Had some absolutely amazing moments online. I totally suck at the game but am still having a blast. Will try spend a lot more time online / grinding 'spectacle'

2. Post
    esoj wrote:
    I bought smash ultimate and the ridley amiibo for my birthday today. What are some good characters to try out for basically a beginner to smash and is it a good idea to just play through the adventure mode before going online?
    The only characters available at the start are the OG Smash ones, so the best is probably Link for a mix of power/ease of use. Definitely play through the adventure mode so you get used to the mechanics and to unlock a bunch of characters for online.

3. Post
    1.2 update has launched

challenging opponents (new characters) difficulty adjusted.. AFTER I SPENT AN HOUR FIGHTING INCINEROAR
    if you have replays you wish to save, don't update - convert them to video, else they'll be wiped for good

4. Post
    Game is great But I have a real Problem.

Paired Joy cons in the grip randomly disconnect in the middle of fights.

Anyone else getting this? it could be fine or an hour or it could happen 3 times in just one fight, and can get frustrating as hell.

5. Post
    Just picked it up. Should be a fun game

6. Post
    GOTY for me so far. Loving it.

7. Post
    Man I'm getting my arse handed to me by bayonetta (well in the adventure mode at least) Man my thumbs hurt after playing this for hours on end. I wish I could change the Smash button to one of the face buttons instead of the R analog stick.
    Last edited by WarZoner; 15th December 2018 at 6:24 pm.

8. Post
    Digital Foundry analysis vs Wii U https://youtu.be/LEZLvZOqA

9. Post
    I can see why some people aren't that impressed with the adventure mode. Story wise there isn't anything much apart from just different characters fighting and different conditions for the stage. I think I might start on the classic mode after playing adventure mode for a while. It's pretty darned impressive they jammed this much stuff in the game.

10. Post
    Classic is great! Loved Ryu's one. Link also had a cool boss.

11. Post
    It's probably been posted at some point on this forum but for anyone looking to get involved in the NZ Smash community for tournaments and get-togethers feel free to join the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/nzsmashbros/

If FB isn't your thing, here's a link to the Discord https://discord.gg/DktFRNC

12. Post
    Shadowcat101 wrote:
    Game is great But I have a real Problem.

Paired Joy cons in the grip randomly disconnect in the middle of fights.

Anyone else getting this? it could be fine or an hour or it could happen 3 times in just one fight, and can get frustrating as hell.
    looks like you're not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi..._ssb_ultimate/

never had the problem myself though I either play handheld or with a pro controller. And I actually prefer hand held over the pro - movements on the stick feel to broad for dashing or quick turns.

13. Post
    Tried updating the controllers? No issues with joycons disconnecting here.

14. Post
    So after 8 or so hours of adventure mode. Princess peach is my go to fighter. Handy for those moments when you keep on jumping around and suddenly missing the stage.

15. Post
    so finally caved in and got smash, am definitely keen to play some gp boys

16. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    So after 8 or so hours of adventure mode. Princess peach is my go to fighter. Handy for those moments when you keep on jumping around and suddenly missing the stage.
    Mine is Bowser, just to try and end fights early..

17. Post
    Bought it today. Pretty damn hard haha. Figured out some spam moves on Kirby to unlock a few fighters in about 30mins. Looking forward to putting in some solid time.

18. Post
    Came up with a pretty fun pvp mode last night: Pokemon battles.

You go into training, set the CPU to control so 2 players can play. Spawn in 2 random Masterballs, both characters pick them up and throw them on the count of 3. Neither player is allow to touch the controller once the ball is thrown, and it's a contest to see who gets's KO'd first. Some pokemon don't do much, more of a status effect, but some knock you right out.

We tried with the original Pokeballs as well but from what we could see, there wasn't much KO'ing going on.

Next we'll try with general assists I guess.

19. Post
    I'm feeling a bit burnt out with this game. ( Probably just way to much content) What's with the classic mode platforming stage repeating itself with every fighter. Would've thought they'd mix it up a tad instead of reusing the same stage over and over.

20. Post
    What's the story on official Nintendo Switch Gamecube Controller Adapters?

Humming and hawing over buying a Switch on Boxing Day. Noticed that the official Nintendo-brand adapters are sold out.

I've read that input-lag is higher than other consoles/smash-games, so I'm a bit wary of grabbing a 3rd party one. Does anybody know what the wait will be for an official one?

EDIT: I just grabbed a couple Nyko single-port adapters from MightyApe. May grab an official one later when there's stock.
    Last edited by d0ped0g; 27th December 2018 at 11:35 am.

21. Post
    Waiting for the courier, any recommended guides?

22. Post
    The online lag is horrendous

23. Post
    Had a few more games last night. Actually pretty fun apart from the lag.

Managed to win a few games with Meta Knight. Loving how hectic it all is.

24. Post
    I wonder if we could get an NZ Smash Discord together or something and book in some regular nights? Watching streamers, lag seems like a uniquely outsized problem in NZ.

25. Post