Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Denis Villeneuve to adapt Dune

At least two films, which I guess would cover the first book. After Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, I am hyped.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/den...ms-1201937538/

2. Post
    Don't know much about Dune.

As a sci fi nut should I be excited?

3. Post
    It's Villeneuve, that's reason enough to be excite

4. Post
    jords wrote:
    Don't know much about Dune.

As a sci fi nut should I be excited?
    Those two statements are incompatible.

5. Post
    I liked Dune. Not really sure they can make it better than the original.

6. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    Villeneuve, nuff said.

7. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    Lynch's adaptation is amazing in some ways, but utterly tragic in others.

I'd like to see Patrick Stewart reprise his role in this one though; he looks exactly the same.

8. Post
    There's so much internal dialogue and imperceptible body language in the books though. Might be hard to convey all of that on screen.
    Would love to see a proper screen version of it though.
    One of my favourite books growing up.
    Deep Forest music would work well for the freeman folk music.

9. Post
    he sure does beautiful vistas , shots and visuals. Well deserving of his awards.

10. Post
    Bladerunner 2049 won a Oscar for that very reason correct?

11. Post
    I'm surprised someone hasn't had a real crack at a tv series with the Dune prequels and sequels (and Dune smack dab in the middle). Some of the stories like the Butlerian Jihad are quite cool.

12. Post
    It might have been a bit of a mess story wise but the cinematography and overall look of Lynch's Dune was impressive especially given the age of the film...

13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I'm surprised someone hasn't had a real crack at a tv series with the Dune prequels and sequels (and Dune smack dab in the middle). Some of the stories like the Butlerian Jihad are quite cool.
    You could say that about a lot of sci/fi, but I do agree that something as popular as Dune would have a bit more coverage.

Cautiously optimistic - I enjoyed Arrival but thought Blade Runner was a bit meh.

14. Post
    Dave Bautista has been cast as Rabban.
    Dis gon be gud.

15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    well, they could not even really agree on which version of the Jihad they wanted, the one with the Titans ( then 2nd one ) or the more interesting one the with with Sarah Butler.

16. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    So much yes!

I do really like Lynch's version, though I know it's flawed in ways. It just really hit me as a kid, and formed the basis of my love of sci-fi along with a few other movies. And I'm excited Villenueve is doing it, I thought he did stunning work with 2049 and Arrival.

17. Post
    As much as I liked the original movie the I much prefer the mini-series, will be interesting to see how this pans out.

18. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    Dis gon be gud.
    Perfect casting, I'm keen for more Dune.

19. Post
    Interesting, The Alternative Edition Redux of Dune:
    First 8 Min is a history, then the whole movie redux.

20. Post
    Stellan Skarsgard cast to play Baron Harkonnen.

21. Post
    Oscar Isaac in talks to play Duke Leto Atriedes

22. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    Oscar Isaac in talks to play Duke Leto Atriedes
    Err... is it a spoiler to mention what usually happens to Isaac's characters?

23. Post
    brand wrote:
    Err... is it a spoiler to mention what usually happens to Isaac's characters?
    I was about to point out that the book came out in 1965, but I guess there might be a couple of people who haven't read it.

::edit::

****, it's aged well.

24. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    You mean that trash written by Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert? Yuck.

I am all for a prequel series from someone else though. There is too much backstory in Dune that is explained in only a line or two in the novel, but would be hard to express in a film without being awful exposition dumps. Actually showing the events that lead to Mentats and the Bene Gesserit would be great.

25. Post
    Mentats came about from the ban on thinking machines , Bene Gesserit came after the Butlerian Jihad , possibly from the combination of the consolidation on need to reproduce as before the Jihad most children were being born from artificial wombs and raised in large semi automated children creches.