1. Post
    Got upgraded to Gigabit for an extra $10 per month with Orcon. Struggle to even hit 50% usage on Steam and Origin, but for an extra $10 a month it's chump change.

2. Post
    Chump. Change.

3. Post
    Kidona wrote:
    I purchased 2 x Gigabit Fibre Connections for home. 1 is dedicated to backing up my clients Synology servers back to my place so those monthly backup charges to clients basically pays for both my Fibre connections and my Synology server. Backup speeds are really good for national traffic.
    what happens if you try maxing both of those at once? your neighbours must not like you if they have fibre

4. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    what happens if you try maxing both of those at once? your neighbours must not like you if they have fibre
    Haven't tried maxing out both at the same time. Backup connection will only max out early hours of the morning. The offsite backups are scheduled to run between 1am - 5am even if it does max out it's changed data only so only a small bit of data per day other then that connection not used for the rest of the day. Only time a full backup is done is the initial first backup.

Home connection used for daily internet, gaming and downloading media.

I figured Fibre would provide enough capacity and not impact speeds on other Fibre connections in the area? Especially with national traffic? No expert here but would be good to know.

Chorus installer did say they usually run another spare fibre cable to homes in case tenant wanted to add another ONT.

5. Post
    Kidona wrote:
    I purchased 2 x Gigabit Fibre Connections for home. 1 is dedicated to backing up my clients Synology servers back to my place so those monthly backup charges to clients basically pays for both my Fibre connections and my Synology server. Backup speeds are really good for national traffic.
    What type of redundancies does your home have in terms of backing up the backup? What if power goes out? is it a necessary importance to have data up or just back up for the sake of backup? Curious about this as I've thought of doing the same to help contribute towards rent

6. Post
    Kidona wrote:
    I figured Fibre would provide enough capacity and not impact speeds on other Fibre connections in the area? Especially with national traffic? No expert here but would be good to know.
    Chorus hook up to 24 ONTs onto a single port on the OLT. Each one of those ports does 2.4Gb down/1.2Gb up. So if you and two other neighbours max out a gigabit plan, it will certainly affect the other neighbours on the same port.

7. Post
    ^ this but the split isn't usually quite so brutal, i've seen it split between 8 properties in newer builds.

in either case both of your connections eat up 80+% of your neighbourhood bandwidth !

8. Post
    You have to question why chorus even offer 1 gbit if that is the case.

9. Post
    Undefineed wrote:
    What type of redundancies does your home have in terms of backing up the backup? What if power goes out? is it a necessary importance to have data up or just back up for the sake of backup? Curious about this as I've thought of doing the same to help contribute towards rent
    It's just an offsite backup for the client. I don't backup the backup at my end. Client has 2 onsite backups to fall back on and accessing the offsite would be 3rd option.

I have a UPS attached so if power goes down Synology goes in to safe mode.

You should look in to it the Synology's are awesome and easy to setup for site to site replication.

10. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    You have to question why chorus even offer 1 gbit if that is the case.
    1) not everyone takes up UFB - i think the uptake is still under 50% in places where it's available
    2) people that sign up to anything faster than 100M are a minority
    3) with 'normal' use (ie not running a commercial backup solution from your house) there's enough bandwidth so that the fact it's shared is not noticeable

all 3 of these reasons will most likely become invalid within 5 years and we will start seeing more congestion, but that's why Chorus is already looking at UFB2

11. Post
    What's the story with ufb2? Haven't been following it. Greater bandwidth i presume, anything else of interest?

12. Post
    UFB2 is an extension to the network coverage
    https://www.chorus.co.nz/ufb2

13. Post
    woops i meant UFB version 2, don't think it has a catchy name yet. it's going to be based on NG-PON2 from what I've seen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NG-PON2

tldr: more bandwidth, multiplexing, backward compatibility with GPON

14. Post
    Have Gigabit because the upgrade is at no extra cost in Dunedin.

it's a little overkill for one user, but if you're in a flat or have a few people at home who whore up the internet it'll be worth it.

15. Post
    antil33t wrote:
    Have Gigabit because the upgrade is at no extra cost in Dunedin.

it's a little overkill for one user, but if you're in a flat or have a few people at home who whore up the internet it'll be worth it.
    No extra charge? Wow you guys are lucky.... is that because of the whole winning the gigatown thing?

16. Post
    famousdex wrote:
    No extra charge? Wow you guys are lucky.... is that because of the whole winning the gigatown thing?
    Yep.

17. Post
    I caved and initiated my upgrade today. More speed!

18. Post
    I just signed up for Gigabit with Slingshot. It was half price for 6 months, and they are already have the cheapest price, so I thought why not.

Over the course of the 1 year contract, it works out to $4 less per month than my current pathetic ADSL as well - going to be a hell of an upgrade!

19. Post
    More Pawa!

Try it out for a month and see how you feel about it. (if that option is available to you).

20. Post
    Once you get a few people on netflix/youtube at night (including 4k streams) it starts to make a difference.

21. Post
    How long do plan upgrades on Fibre normally take?

22. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    How long do plan upgrades on Fibre normally take?
    4 business hours if you're on Chorus.

23. Post
    Massacre wrote:
    Got upgraded to Gigabit for an extra $10 per month with Orcon. Struggle to even hit 50% usage on Steam and Origin, but for an extra $10 a month it's chump change.
    Do they give you a new router if you update? Their base router is a piece of shit.

24. Post
    nightshadow wrote:
    4 business hours if you're on Chorus.
    I put the upgrade through yesterday so hopefully I receive the confirmation text today. Do you need to restart the ONT or router?

25. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Do they give you a new router if you update? Their base router is a piece of shit.
    Who uses telco provided routers?