Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

1. Post
    Anyone on Stuff fibre boost able to get anywhere near the 950mbps speeds? In chch Speed tests get 400-500mbps at best with real world tests giving me 30MB/s

2. Post
    I was consistently getting around that with Slingshot until about 6-8 weeks ago on their Christchurch Speedtest server. Now I can't even get it to hit 700Mbps most of the time (no matter what time of the day I run it) - I've been meaning ring them to see if they can downgrade the plan to the 200Mbps we can get here - seeing as how they obviously can't offer the minimum acceptable speed for this plan (which is 700Mbps). I've been doing the tests the whole time with linetest.nz, so the results have been sent to them, so they can't argue it.

Even with Steam, Origin and Blizzards downloaders all going at once, the highest it would pull lately is 500-600Mps (and that was off-peak).

3. Post
    Ive given them 3 speed results from 3 of there chosen speed servers (fast.com,speedtest.com windows app and nperf.com) and they have responded with we dont have a minimum speed and your speed is acceptable. Gg.

4. Post
    Yeah, **** that. Slingshot advertise theirs as 700 - 900Mbps, and when I asked one of their tech support people just after I was hooked up, they said the minimum was 700 - so I am going to hold them to that.

I notice Stuff have this:
    In most areas of the country you’ll see speeds of 700 - 950 Mbps.
    *Actual speeds vary by household and area
    You're getting well below that, so I'd tell them if they can't provide it, you want to leave or downgrade.

5. Post
    The issue with gigabit fibre is the server on the other side
    You get 950mbps on a speedtest, congratulations

But what’s the fastest you’ve downloaded a game from steam or psn or Xbox store etc
    Not to mention that outside pcs most electronics still only have 2.4ghz and 100mbps network connections

6. Post
    We're talking about speedtests to a local server on wired gigabit network connections, and not even getting the speeds on that. When I was regularly hitting over 930Mbps on the speedtest, the average download speed I was seeing in real world terms was also much higher. I've done multi-threaded downloads hitting over 90MB/s.

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The issue with gigabit fibre is the server on the other side
    You get 950mbps on a speedtest, congratulations

But what’s the fastest you’ve downloaded a game from steam or psn or Xbox store etc
    Not to mention that outside pcs most electronics still only have 2.4ghz and 100mbps network connections
    I get 300-400Mbps down from services like steam. We have multiple gaming PCs in the household, multiple steaming media (freeview, netflix, and other services).

Most electronics have 5Ghz and 802.11n/a/ac, and 1Gbps on PCs.

Our typical household usage is about 2Tb per month and climbing.

8. Post
    I've seen my steam peak at about 250Mbps, and then 95% time it's down to 100Mbps - my region is set to New Zealand
    Still get 950Mbps on a speedtest - occasionally the speedtest will show 980Mbps, but never anywhere near that in reality
    I have some of my electronics on 5ghz - but like my nintendo switch and ps4, both connect to 5ghz wifi but neither actually supports more than 100Mbps anyway lol

I've seen youtube pull some ridiculous numbers where it preloads several minutes of a 4k video in a second or two but that's about it

But I suppose it's actually a good thing, 100Mbps is more than enough for any one device and never running out of bandwidth is a large house is fantastic

Now just waiting for Chorus to do the 10Gbps update so I can have even more unused bandwidth just for e-peen

My router has 6 ethernet ports, 2 of them can aggregate to 2Gbps - are there 10Gbps consumer routers on the market yet? Using only cat6a cables, but I guess my router, isp modem, ONT on the wall and PC's mobo all need replacing to use 10Gbps

9. Post
    No 10Gbps consumer stuff I've seen. But 10Gbps is getting much much cheaper. You don't really need to move your PCs to 10Gbps yet, unless they're storage servers.

My network has 4 gaming PCs, 3 laptops, 5 media players, 2 consoles, and 6 phones - all consuming bandwidth for 6 active users. (not mentioning all the servers and other crap I have).

We are consuming about 2Tb per month now (2.5Tb over Dec). A lot of that is youtube, netflex, and now freeview.

10. Post
    Kidona wrote:
    I purchased 2 x Gigabit Fibre Connections for home. 1 is dedicated to backing up my clients Synology servers back to my place so those monthly backup charges to clients basically pays for both my Fibre connections and my Synology server. Backup speeds are really good for national traffic.
    That's pretty onto it