Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Gigabit Internet worth it?

Who here has Gigabit internet? I'm thinking of switching. Even on Fibre 100 it will still take a couple of hours to download FFXV on steam on Gigabit it will take like 10 minutes. Seems worth it to me.

2. Post
    I'm pretty happy with 100mb fibre, download times are fine never gets frustrating

3. Post
    "Gigabit Internet"

"100mb fibre"

Get a better plan

4. Post
    Have been on 100/20 plan for a couple years now, have never felt the need for it given the price increase. A couple hours isn't long to wait once. My vote is for not worth it.

5. Post
    a couple of minutes is too long to wait tbh

it's not even that much more these days - definitely worth it.

6. Post
    try 200mb if you aren't sure..

you're unlikely to get anywhere near peak on a gb connection from most services

7. Post
    I was on 950/450 for a month. Was amazing. And not worth the $. Could max it out downloading from MS/Steam/Origin. But who cares. Just wait another 10 minutes everynow and then and save 500 a year

8. Post
    You can get gigabit from some providers for 99.95, I would go for it. It doesn't cost much at all.

9. Post
    i am only on it because Stuff fibre gave me the 100mb fibre unlimited for $39.95, so for an extra $30 i got the Gig plan , still cheaper than most normal plans.

10. Post
    You should probably mention that pricing is for 6 months, then rolls over to standard pricing $120. If Bigpipe offered if for $100 i'd consider it, but they want $129, so $50/month more, shifting ISP not an option I want to bother with.

11. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    You should probably mention that pricing is for 6 months, then rolls over to standard pricing.
    yeah but then i will probably go off it.

12. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    a couple of minutes is too long to wait tbh

it's not even that much more these days - definitely worth it.
    Fully agree. Was on 200/200, and gigabit became available for no extra $$$’s, so went for it - good feeling when you see the time left on a big download only being a few minutes.

13. Post
    I went from 100/20 to 900/500 three or four months ago.

I didn't need it at all, but didn't want to wait longer than I had to for large downloads. The fastest I've observed is downloading World of Tanks updates at 103.7 MB/sec, it's like a hollywood download bar

Its for the impatient, and those who have many devices using the connection.

If you do get it, make sure you're either on 802.11ac wireless with a really good signal or, ideally, that you're using gigabit ethernet with proper cabling.

14. Post
    Have 900/400 with spark, but have basically never achieved full speeds in real use, only during speedtests. Will still keep it for novelty value. Amazing how far we've come, remember jetstream?

15. Post
    I remember 14.4k. Was excited to get 33.6

16. Post
    My first was 300bps, then I went to 1200/75.

17. Post
    Wasnt worth it at $140 a month, but with SS its $99 a month, totally worth it. I have a plex server so the extra upstream definitely helps that too

18. Post
    Using most things over WIFI, mind you its on Cable/HFC/FibreX. Tablets etc. 200/20 is fine. If I went to fibre itd be to MyRepublic.
    Last edited by Eclectic Gamester; 11th April 2018 at 10:35 am.

19. Post
    200/20 plans are gone now aren't they? Who offers 200/20? To me that was the sweet spot. Gigabit is overkill.(for my needs)

20. Post
    Bigpipe do 200/20 for 99.

21. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    200/20 plans are gone now aren't they? Who offers 200/20? To me that was the sweet spot. Gigabit is overkill.(for my needs)
    Yea slingshot don't offer a 200 plan it's ether 100 or gigantic.

22. Post
    Definately worth getting the fibre giga connection .
    I just had mine connected yesterday and Ive gone from having 50mbps up and 50mbps down on spark vdsl to having 940mbps down and 422mbps upload.

Its absolutley crazy speeds
    Last edited by blackstarninja; 11th April 2018 at 7:44 pm.

23. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Markuchi wrote:
    Bigpipe do 200/20 for 99.
    Trustpower do as well.

24. Post
    Yeah im sure theres a few , spark does it as well
    Fibre 200/20

25. Post
    I purchased 2 x Gigabit Fibre Connections for home. 1 is dedicated to backing up my clients Synology servers back to my place so those monthly backup charges to clients basically pays for both my Fibre connections and my Synology server. Backup speeds are really good for national traffic.