1. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Good luck with that. The PS4 thread has been titled "Next gen PlayStation" for 6ish years now. \_(ツ)_/
    lol, good point

2. Post
    The gods are watching

3. Post
    Well damn haha!

4. Post

ProGamingShop may have also leaked the launch price apparently they have it listed for 500 euros. Which would translate to $500 or $550 USD.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/10...-5-price-cost/

5. Post
    1) There is no way Sony has set the price. They are still making changes to the hardware and just recently delivered new dual shock controllers to developers. As the bill of materials is still changing, a final sale price cannot be set. The retailer is just putting up a price to get website clicks, it happens with every single product launch in existence.

2) The PS5 won't look like that, that is a Devkit.

Here is the PS4 devkit

And here is the PS4

6. Post
    Yeah, thats 100% a devkit, and has already been proven.

7. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    The gods are watching
    Always

8. Post
    Man PS4 was a sexy machine

9. Post
    jords wrote:
    Man PS4 was a sexy machine
    Is!

I remember the meme; Playstation 4...... Xbox One......

10. Post
    https://out.reddit.com/t3_dk4zx6?url...ame=reddit.com

Digital Foundry got ASUS to put together a pc with the equivalent ps5 specs that is known as of today.
    Then compared it to current consoles - and their numbers should be good, Richard has always been great at being able to predict new console performance using PC hardware and he was spot on with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X so I believe his numbers as long as the leaked specs are correct (1.8ghz Navi Gpu and 3ghz 16 thread Zen 2 cpu)

The CPU is a nearly 7 times improvement compared to the base PS4 and the GPU also massive.

In terms of raw performance - games run 200% faster on ps5 hardware compared to the PS4 pro and 350% faster than the base PS4.

Keep in mind it's just raw performance using a port/backwards compatibility of existing generation games.
    Next gen games are going to be something new - all that cpu power means new physics and AI opportunities and the GPU makes 1080p a non starter - too much cpu bottlenecking.

Next gen consoles are more likely to run games at 1440p/120 or 4K/60. In addition the lower level SSD will give developers new opportunities like being able to fast stream in assets off the drive in real time - like star citizen does on PC - for PC gamers: essentially we can expect games from 2021 onwards will need to run off Nvme SSDs or you'll encounter lots of stuttering and lag.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 20th October 2019 at 7:49 am.

11. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Next gen consoles are more likely to run games at 1440p/120 or 4K/60.
    You really think so? Most AAA developers will keep targeting high resolution + 30fps (for genuine new gen titles, not cross-gen and/or remastered ports), calling it now. Prettier graphics are a lot easier to sell to tech illiterate casuals than framerates.

12. Post
    That option is always there - they could target 4K 30fps and use that extra 50% gpu headroom to push better graphics.
    I just hope Sony mandates that developers give us options to choose the way we want to play

13. Post
    Digital Foundry seems to say they have confirmation that the CPU powering the PS5 is a Zen 2 Ryzen CPU with 8 cores and 16 threads clocked at 3.2ghz

Last edited by SirGrim; 22nd October 2019 at 12:34 pm.

14. Post
    Jeez thats a heck of a upgrade. That basically brings it in-line with desktop level cpu's. Would be awesome if they brought back OtherOs and let you install windows. It would probably make a great nifty little steam machine.

15. Post
    Hopefully with next gen consoles getting proper CPU's we can move towards more advanced weather in games.

Just look at this amazing demo of what weather in next gen games could look like

16. Post
    That's really awesome, imagine standing amongst that in VR with full surround sound

17. Post
    PS5 audio update.

Sony recently launched it's Reality 360 audio service: https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers...w-does-it-work

I've had a play with it on my WH-1000XM3 headphones and I must say it's pretty damn awesome.

This is Sony's own surround sound format and acts as an alternative to Dolby Atmos.

The reason I'm posting this here is so you can try it for yourself - because this is the PS5's audio system! The PS5 will be using the Reality 360 audio engine for it's surround sound and it runs on headphones and speakers.

I'm sure the PS5 will still keep support for old formats like Dolby Digital 5.1, but for further surround sound effects you will be using the Reality 360 audio engine output.

18. Post
    Guerilla games indirectly confirms new horizon game.

They posted a job listing for a vegetation artist and in the description mention the role is part of 4 teams working on A Horizon game.

It seems the game must be quite early in its development cycle judging by the number of people at Guerilla working on it - it's probably a while away and not a ps5 launch title.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.g...n-zero-dawn-2/

19. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Guerilla games indirectly confirms new horizon game.

They posted a job listing for a vegetation artist and in the description mention the role is part of 4 teams working on A Horizon game.

It seems the game must be quite early in its development cycle judging by the number of people at Guerilla working on it - it's probably a while away and not a ps5 launch title.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.g...n-zero-dawn-2/
    Will be keen on that, whenever it comes!

20. Post
    Weirdly Horizon was the 1st ps4 exclusive I just couldnt get into. It came out at a time for me when every developer and their dog was doing open world games and the genre kinda peaked me for me in 2017. Didnt help that ubisoft especially oversaturated the open world market that year with a new far cry, watchdogs and AC.
    Last edited by Valeyard; 5th November 2019 at 5:59 pm.

21. Post
    We had to get some disappointing news at some point right?

Sony recently filed a patent for custom solid state storage "catridges" that could plug into a gaming machine.

https://wccftech.com/ps5-ssd-memory-cartridge/

It would appear that the PS5 may be using a custom designed storage "catridge". The good news is it means the storage device can be replaced e.g. swapping it out with a higher memory size one. The bad news is because it's a custom solution, you have to buy the SSD cartridges from Sony and that means you have to spend more $$$ than if you could buy a normal SSD from a PC store.

here is what Sony's SSD cartridges look like based on the filed patents:

22. Post
    Remember how well proprietary storage worked on the Vita? Surely they've learned their lesson from that.

23. Post
    Didn't own a Vita, what happened?

24. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Didn't own a Vita, what happened?
    You had to buy expensive proprietary memory cards for it.

25. Post
    The problem was the card size wasn't big enough or it didn't come with one, so it was an added cost to the Vita. The PS5 will have one out of the box at 500GB minimum.