Page 12 of 12 First ... 29101112

1. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    We had to get some disappointing news at some point right?

Sony recently filed a patent for custom solid state storage "catridges" that could plug into a gaming machine.

https://wccftech.com/ps5-ssd-memory-cartridge/

It would appear that the PS5 may be using a custom designed storage "catridge". The good news is it means the storage device can be replaced e.g. swapping it out with a higher memory size one. The bad news is because it's a custom solution, you have to buy the SSD cartridges from Sony and that means you have to spend more $$$ than if you could buy a normal SSD from a PC store.

here is what Sony's SSD cartridges look like based on the filed patents:

The patent this render is based on doesn't actually say what the cartridge is for, so this is just speculation for the moment.

2. Post
    Colinnola wrote:
    The patent this render is based on doesn't actually say what the cartridge is for, so this is just speculation for the moment.
    Sony's CEO already said about a month ago that PS5 games will use 100gb Blu-ray discs. That means these memory cartridges are not for games, that leaves only the Harddrive.

3. Post
    Hard problem to solve as they need to guarantee read / write speed for games.

Maybe have 3rd party licenced cartridges also which have been verified as good enough by sony?

or maybe a benchmark test for any external ssd you plug in? haha

Also patents be patents.

4. Post
    Some more info on the controller....

PS5 controller ditches light bar, according to new Sony patents.

A patent from Sony Interactive Entertainment reveals what may be the next PlayStation 5 controller.
    Images of the new controller published on the Japanese patent office today show a number of design changes that subtly set it apart from the DualShock 4 – namely, bigger triggers, slightly smaller sticks, a USB port, and no light bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4-768x753-600x588.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	227744

SIE’s new patent matches a recent description of the PS5’s prototype controller by tech outlet Wired – who went hands-on with a version of the PS5 controller last month.

Wired describes the new controller prototype as being “an awful lot like the PS4’s DualShock 4” – but there’s some interesting differences in the functionality of the controller. The major new addition are what are referred to as “Adaptive Triggers” – a new version of the familiar L2 and R2 inputs that will supposedly offer greater feedback through the triggers themselves.

Wired, who spoke to lead PS4 architect Mark Cerny and held the prototype PS5 controller in their session, give the example of the triggers acting differently in order to simulate the increase in tension as an on-screen character draws back a bow and arrow ready to fire, or to showcase the in-hand difference between machine gun fire and a shotgun blast.

5. Post
    The shape is more ergonomically curved around the grips. Basically that patent makes the DS5 look closer to the Xbox One Controller - which is totally a good thing. The new controller also look thicker so is probably heavier. That extra space and weight would be to house the new tech inside and a bigger battery one hopes.

Unfortunately it doesn't have paddles, very disappointing if that is the final version.

6. Post
    How will VR work with no light bar?

7. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    PS4 controller would be my guess for PS4 VR games. I'm expecting most/all PS4 hardware to just be plug and play into the ps5.

As for PS5 VR games - PSVR2 will use different tech, so probably doesn't need a controller lightbar.

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    PS4 controller would be my guess for PS4 VR games. I'm expecting most/all PS4 hardware to just be plug and play into the ps5.

As for PS5 VR games - PSVR2 will use different tech, so probably doesn't need a controller lightbar.
    Yeah, I'm hoping that previous controllers will work, Ps3 ones don't work on ps4 though for instance.

9. Post
    Here's another one for you, Sir Grim.
    https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/sta...91483457040384

10. Post
    If the memory cart thing is true then with the price of SSDs dropping every day I wonder if it would be an option to have the games you play regularly stored on the internal and then have your other games on an external SSD so you can transfer them quickly to the internal when you want to play them?

It'll be cheaper than buying Sony proprietary storage solutions, they're nearly always insanely overpriced.

11. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    VR headsets now have multiple cameras on the head unit looking outwards rather than one camera looking at towards your headset. (no need for an external camera)

so it makes sense to drop the lightbar if your PSVR2 headset cant see it. I imagine there would be a bunch of 'under the skin' infrared lights for it to track like the Oculus, Vive etc etc do.

Regarding backwards compatibility, just use existing peripherals.

12. Post
    But how will I remember what colour my lightsaber is in Fallen Order if there's no annoying light bar reflecting off my screen?

13. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    But how will I remember what colour my lightsaber is in Fallen Order if there's no annoying light bar reflecting off my screen?
    Haha yeah that's a pretty bad problem with current controller, black masking tape

14. Post
    3dfx_ownd_joo wrote:
    Haha yeah that's a pretty bad problem with current controller, black masking tape
    But if you use black masking tape then you can't have this

Name:	pc-and-video-games-accessories-ps4-ps4-controllers-light-speed-star-wars-lightbar-decal-sticker-.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	227756

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Sony's CEO already said about a month ago that PS5 games will use 100gb Blu-ray discs. That means these memory cartridges are not for games, that leaves only the Harddrive.
    They're not for the Playstation brand at all, just for an unrelated Sony toy line, nothing to see here https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68903...oys/index.html

16. Post
    Samsung launches it's 6th gen PCI-E 4 v-nand SSD's https://translate.google.com/transla...2F1219741.html

During the presentation that talked about next gen game consoles and said they would be using "optimized NVME SSD drives", indicating that Samsung may be supplying NVME SSD storages drives for both next gen consoles.

And once again just like we heard from Sony earlier this year - Samsung is indicating these NVME SSD drives will be "optimized" which allows the next gen consoles to boot games faster than a PC can.

Name:	DSC05371.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	227794

17. Post
    Another look at the Devkit. I'm not 100% but those look like Dual Shock 4's plugged into the devkit. I hope that means controllers and peripherals will be backwards / forwards compatible.

18. Post
    Wow someone is very brave taking that photo

19. Post
    3dfx_ownd_joo wrote:
    Wow someone is very brave taking that photo
    They pics have been floating around for ages

20. Post
    Those dev kits are YUGE!!!

21. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Those dev kits are YUGE!!!
    Usually devkits contain either higher power draw parts than the actual for sale console or are higher overclocked.
    So devkits draw considerably more power and therefore needs good cooling that's why they are always very big.

But

What is interesting is look closely at the picture - in the top right is a PS4 devkit!
    And if you compare you'll see the ps5 devkit is considerably bigger than the PS4 devkit.

So if we assume (and are probably right) that there is a relationship between the devkit size and console size - the for sale PS5 is going to be bigger than the PS4.

And that's fine, because we know they wanted to target higher relative performance next generation and that means more heat and power draw.

22. Post
    Hard to believe we are a year out from PS5. And probably just a few months away from the official reveal.