1. Post
    450 equates to quite conveniently at todays current exchange rate the price I believe Sony will sell here in NZ
    $699

2. Post
    I could see there being a short supply at launch due to the Coronavirus. If you want one at launch I'd pre order as soon as you can I'm probably gonna stick with the ps4 pro a while longer maybe I'll get series-x if it's priced right. If they announce some more exclusives like Hellblade 2 at e3 I'm in. All tho I'm pretty happy with my one-x atm.

3. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    450 equates to quite conveniently at todays current exchange rate the price I believe Sony will sell here in NZ
    $699
    $450usd is the bill of materials. Even sold with no margin, you still have to add shipping cost, supplier and retail store margins and GST. It would not be $699nzd, more like $850 to $900

4. Post
    What would happen if the series-x ends up being the cheaper and more powerful console? Would you guys still go PS5? Get series-x first then ps5 later when the exclusives drop?

5. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    What would happen if the series-x ends up being the cheaper and more powerful console? Would you guys still go PS5? Get series-x first then ps5 later when the exclusives drop?
    Yeah, I don't think it really matters what the more powerful console is ( I mean look at the One X) it's always about the software, and most, if not all Microsoft games are also on PC

6. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Yeah, I don't think it really matters what the more powerful console is ( I mean look at the One X) it's always about the software, and most, if not all Microsoft games are also on PC
    Sure I get that. But will the casual gamers see it that way? Its been proven time and time again that the casual gamers will go with whats cheaper. Most gamers dont have any brand loyalty. Its why PS4 crushed it this gen at $399. But if PS5 ends up at $500 and series-x is $399-450. I think Series-x comes out on top. And PS5 will have a slow start out of the gate as people stick with their PS4's and wait for the PS5 exclusives to start coming in before jumping in.

7. Post
    Yeah, casual gamers probably won't, but playstation does have the bigger install base right now.

Microsoft haven't shown me anything that would make me switch, but I'm too heavily invested in playstation haha

8. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Sure I get that. But will the casual gamers see it that way? Its been proven time and time again that the casual gamers will go with whats cheaper. Most gamers dont have any brand loyalty. Its why PS4 crushed it this gen at $399. But if PS5 ends up at $500 and series-x is $399-450. I think Series-x comes out on top. And PS5 will have a slow start out of the gate as people stick with their PS4's and wait for the PS5 exclusives to start coming in before jumping in.
    Considering the rumours saying the Series X is slightly more powerful than the PS5, Microsofts BOM will be even higher than $450. I can't see a situation where the PS5 would be priced higher, unless Sony got cocky and wanted to make good margins. Also the last time we heard from Phil Spencer, he implied that Microsoft has no issue being priced higher than Sony, as long as they can deliver the best performance which is their goal going forward.

MS has enjoyed strong sales numbers with the One X which I think has renewed their belief that if you make it, they will buy it. Being able to deliver an incredible multi plat 4k 60fps experience at a fraction of the cost to build a PC is what may give them good sales with the Series X. I dont think Playstation gamers will switch, its more likely PC gamers will buy the Series X instead of upgrading their PC.

9. Post
    If you make it they will buy it - I wonder how that's working out with the digital-only Xbox? Not casting shade SirGrim, I genuinely don't know and am interested. I realise it's a niche product, released late in the life-cycle, but would be interested to see how it is working out for them.

10. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I dont think Playstation gamers will switch, its more likely PC gamers will buy the Series X instead of upgrading their PC.
    I don't see many long time PC gamers switching to consoles at this point. I can see console gamers who switched to PC during the 8th gen going back to consoles though.

Frederick James wrote:
    If you make it they will buy it - I wonder how that's working out with the digital-only Xbox? Not casting shade SirGrim, I genuinely don't know and am interested. I realise it's a niche product, released late in the life-cycle, but would be interested to see how it is working out for them.
    It think it took Black Friday discounts to get Xbone SAD Editions to move numbers. (This is just based on anecdotes I heard on the console centric podcasts I listen to, they very well could be wrong.)

11. Post
    I can't see price or performance between the consoles being a determining factor in most peoples purchasing decision for next gen, unless one is insanely underpowered or overpriced. This generation we've seen a huge shift from physical to digital game sales , we've seen the games as service model being injected into nearly every game of every genre, we've had game subscription services for the entire generation that give us "free" monthly games, and it means that more than ever before if you change platforms you're probably going to lose a hell of a lot more than what you'll gain. You might save $100 or $150 on the console but you'll lose access to your library of digital games, you'll lose access to playing with your friends, you'll lose access to DLC you've purchased and cosmetic items you've unlocked in games that don't support cross save.

I can see most people sticking with their current platform of choice, we're a bit different on here because we're all gaming nerds talking about videogames on a gaming site so most of us have a couple of consoles or a console and gaming pc or whatever, but for Mr Joe Average who lives in a one console home they'll stick with the platform where their friends and huge library of digital games already are.

I'll be going Series X first and then PS5 probably the following holiday season or the one after that. I enjoy the Sony exclusives way more than I do MS ones but they're nearly always single player games that you don't need to play on day one unless you suffer from a terminal case of fomo, and Xbox has Gamepass and Gamepass is easily the best thing in console gaming at the moment. The only thing that could change my mind would be if Sony announced a direct competitor to Gamepass, but I get the impression they know they don't need to to keep their customer base so they won't, if they were concerned about Microsoft then I guess they'd still be giving us 6 monthly PS+ games each month instead of cutting it down to 2.

12. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    $450usd is the bill of materials. Even sold with no margin, you still have to add shipping cost, supplier and retail store margins and GST. It would not be $699nzd, more like $850 to $900
    Not sure why you think that, the PS4 was sold at a loss initially, as was the PS3.

They quickly recoup in PSN subscriptions and other shit.

Retailer margin on consoles is **** all.

The PS3 they were losing over $300 on each console sold initially. They didn't make profit on the consoles for 4 years.

13. Post
    Price will be interesting, you've got to think that both Sony and MS look at the mobile phone market and realize that consumers are a bit more used to paying premium prices for products than they have been in previous years. I look at Apple phones and the iPhone 3 was cheaper to buy by $100usd than a PS3 was, the top model 64Gb iPhone 5 retailed for the same price as a PS4 and now look, the cheapest new Apple phone is at least twice the price of a PS Pro to buy with their high end models more than 3 or 4 times the price. It's only speculation on my part but both companies must be looking at Samsung and Apple and other phone manufacturers and wondering if they to can get away with selling their new products for a premium price like those companies do.

I think they can, I don't think the new consoles will be PS2 kind of money at launch, but I reckon they'll be close.

14. Post
    No console will exceed $500 USD, that's the max that most enthusiast gamers are willing to pay for a console. The sweet spot is $400 for the casuals to all jump aboard.

The final nail in the coffin for Xbone was launching $100 USD more than PS4.

If the Xbox Series S model (codename Lockhart) is $350-450 then that'll potentially win over a lot of casuals in the USA, especially if it comes bundled with a few months sub of Game Pass. Soyny has Europe on lock, Japan will continue to favour Switch because their market is portable centric.

15. Post
    Can't they just announce the price to get Microsoft to announce theirs and then just reevaluate and drop it even cheaper than MS or is that taboo?

16. Post
    Chaosfollowsme wrote:
    Can't they just announce the price to get Microsoft to announce theirs and then just reevaluate and drop it even cheaper than MS or is that taboo?

I think doing that could be perceived as a them having a lack of confidence in their product and that's not really the message you want to send to people before a products launch. You want to name your price, this is what our product is worth, then if sales aren't as expected you come up with some bs reason for a price cut the first holiday weekend after the Xmas holidays, say that manufacturing methods have been streamlined or something.

It could also make consumers question if they're getting the best deal. I was a salesperson for many years and one of the worst things a salesperson can do is immediately offer a product for a lower price than what's on the ticket, it undermines the value of the product and makes your customer question if you are willing to drop the price so easily then how much more can you drop it. It lowers the customers trust in you and that's why good salespeople won't offer a lower price until all other avenues have been exhausted. Sony are essentially a giant salesperson selling this thing to us, if they drop their pants before it even launches then people will question how much lower can they go.

But who knows, I'm only guessing because it's fun to speculate about stuff. Maybe they can name a price then drop it, I'm sure they have a floor of number crunchers at Sony HQ who understand the ins and outs a helluva lot more than I ever will.

17. Post
    Grab Turismo developer says they are targeting 4K 120fps for the next Gran Turismo on PS5 and even 1080p at 240fps May be possible

18. Post
    Where's the real - tangible news about next gen, this speculation is getting tiresome now. Either release it at $1000 like they did with PS2, or be done with it, take it on the chin and make up the rest with software sales

19. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Well that pretty much confirms I wont be getting one at launch. We could be looking at close to 1k here in NZ if they do go $500. Ps3 all over again.
    Should note that the PS3's $1200NZD price tag was largely due to Sony Oceania dicking us over in pricing. Dollar was at ~70c at that stage and they doubled the RRP from the USA price. Meanwhile, the AU RRP of the PS3 was $829 while the AUD/USD was at around ~80c.

Compare that to the PS4's launch RRP of $650NZD/$549AUD/$399USD and it seems they've learned their lesson.

20. Post
    We will get a heads up if Sony drops the RRP for the Pro in the next six months. Considering that is $640, they won’t be having that compete with the PS5 space if the price is anywhere in that range. Obviously you can find the PRO in retail right now cheaper but setting the price down to that under the current RRP will give everyone some clues.

21. Post
    Gothic Remake announced.

Coming to PC, Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X.

Not coming to Playstation 4 and Xbox One - this is a next gen exclusive title

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/goth...en-consoles-pc

22. Post
    Can't wait for this new gen

23. Post
    Piranha Bytes aren't making it, odd. (That being said, they've consistently made glorified, reskinned remakes of Gothic 2 for many years now.)

24. Post
    jords wrote:
    Can't wait for this new gen
    I kinda can, still got a huge PS4 backlog lol

25. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Grab Turismo developer says they are targeting 4K 120fps for the next Gran Turismo on PS5 and even 1080p at 240fps May be possible
    What tv could even make use of 120fps?Arent 99% of tvs 60hz