ludez wrote:
    $500usd on a base console? Heck no
    Name:  K1GQClhYMPfmMz9V-w1f-8FqzsHQJYCltxRAmTHeDT4.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  150.0 KB

2. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Pretty sure the PS2 and PS3 were around this if not more
    Yeah they were but as we know in this day and age the masses will buy something if it's reasonably prices liked the ps4. At 500usd that puts it out of range for a lot of people.

3. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Yeah they were but as we know in this day and age the masses will buy something if it's reasonably prices liked the ps4. At 500usd that puts it out of range for a lot of people.
    Market forces also dictate it, PS4 and XBOX ONE launched just after a global recession when people were trying to find their feet and would not stand for expensive electronics.

The world has moved on and in 2018 people are flush with cash - we have $3k iphones, $1.5k android phones, $2.5k graphics cards, $700 smart watches and the list goes on, just about everything is going up in price because the market can stomach it (and these items are actually selling). If you were planning to launch a $500usd console, now is the right time to do so, before the next recession hits

4. Post
    Oh for sure but launch prices rarely stick around for long. You know as well as I do that Sony/MS etc barely make any money on hardware so it's simply reflective of manufacturing costs. Strategically, 500 USD might be a bad idea but I'm not an early console adopter so I'm personally not too worried. If games came down in price to PC game prices, I think people would have less of an issue. With digital distribution probably going to take over brick and mortar sales, I think cheaper games is likely.

5. Post
    id rather they charge more upfront with some decent specs than be in the same situation the xbox one was at and be behind in specs at launch. No one is saying you have to buy it at launch. It will get cheaper as the manufacturing process improves.

6. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Oh for sure but launch prices rarely stick around for long. You know as well as I do that Sony/MS etc barely make any money on hardware so it's simply reflective of manufacturing costs. Strategically, 500 USD might be a bad idea but I'm not an early console adopter so I'm personally not too worried. If games came down in price to PC game prices, I think people would have less of an issue. With digital distribution probably going to take over brick and mortar sales, I think cheaper games is likely.
    It does come down to the hardware chosen - PS4 and XBOX ONE launched with very weak hardware, in order to produce a cheap machine that would sell given the market conditions. The PS5 on the other hand is using more expensive hardware relative to the hardware market - e.g PS4 had a old laptop CPU the day it launched, PS5 looks like it has a desktop 8 core Ryzen, which is similar to what you'd put in your gaming PC in 2018, PS4 had a outdated mid range GPU the day it launched, PS5 looks to be using Navi GPU which doesn't even exist until next year and is brand new tech. All this point to higher hardware costs to deliver the experience that gamers want - that includes higher resolution VR and 60FPS

7. Post
    $500USD for a machine that can play every game at 4K 60FPS native is pretty fair. Better off having one machine that will be good enough to last a whole generation than having another PRO/One X situation.

8. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    $500USD for a machine that can play every game at 4K 60FPS native is pretty fair. Better off having one machine that will be good enough to last a whole generation than having another PRO/One X situation.
    Idk I still think well see a PS5 Pro. The Pro sold really well.

9. Post
    Yep the pro and one x has sold well, consumers are willing to pay $500usd

As for more specifics on the specs

They can’t be too wild, it will be a lower end Ryzen and mid range gpu to keep tdp down, it’s not just price but consoles struggle to dissipate heat so there is only so much power draw you work with - current consoles max out at around 150w safely

For my best guess I reckon we’ll see this

* AMD custom SOC comprising of an equivalent 7nm AMD Ryzen 2500u CPU (8 core, 8 thread) clocked at 3ghz.

* Also on the SOC is a 7nm AMD Navi GPU that is the equivalent of the RX670 (roughly Vega 56 performance)

* Combined with 16GB of GDDR6 Memory shared across the system with bandwidth of around 600 Gigabytes per second

* Also in the console is a 1TB SSHD or SSD (depending on market price at the time of production)

* Total system TDP I belive will be 150w again given that AMD says it can improve TDP by 50% on 7nm so we should get skinny consoles again and not huge beasts

* Total performance figure I belive is somewhere around 12 to 14 Teraflops - for quick comparison, the PS4 PRO is 4.2 Teraflops and the Xbox One X is 6 Teraflops - so it's a significant improvement!

I believe with mostly medium and some high settings this console will manage a stable 4K 60fps output
    Pushing the graphics up will results in 4K with a lower framerate, it’s up to devs what to do with the power
    The point is 60fps will be doable in most games and devs should give gamers the option to choose
    Last edited by SirGrim; 22nd November 2018 at 9:31 am.

10. Post
    To be honest, I think I'm ready for a PS5.

Games need that next push for 60fps at least, let's do it.

Well used PS4 Pro to hit trademe soon as it drops

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

11. Post
    IST wrote:
    To be honest, I think I'm ready for a PS5.

Games need that next push for 60fps at least, let's do it.

Well used PS4 Pro to hit trademe soon as it drops

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    if they can get 1080p 60fps locked with no drops at all that would be fine with me. couldn't care less about 4k.

12. Post
    Drakarth wrote:
    if they can get 1080p 60fps locked with no drops at all that would be fine with me. couldn't care less about 4k.
    It will be downscaled from 4k, 1080p 60fps will be piss easy for this machine. Even for a PS4 PRO 60fps would be easy if it had a better CPU

13. Post
    http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/...n_the_new_year

I think they're building up to an announcement sometime early next year.

PlayStation chief Shawn Layden briefly appeared during The Game Awards 2018 last night to open the show alongside Nintendo boss Reggie Fils-Aime and Xbox overlord Phil Spencer – but while the latter two appeared later in the stream to chat about their respective platforms, Layden stayed out of the limelight.

This disappointed some fans, but Layden was quick to reassure everyone on Twitter: “See you in the new year,” he wrote in response to one streamer who lamented the executive’s limited presence. It’s going to be fascinating to see how 2019 unfolds, because with the Japanese giant skipping E3, it means we can expect something entirely new from the organisation.

14. Post
    Apparently some people on twitter think the holiday theme might be teasing PS5. They reckon Its written Play5tation Instead Of PlayStation lol.

15. Post
    It's not that lol

PS4 launched in 2013, it's now 2018 - it's the PS4's 5th birthday

16. Post
    A few tidbits from a reset era insider.

PS5 dev kits are out there and I've heard positive things about it. But I wouldn't expect any information in the immediate future.

Lineup for the first half of the year is set but second half is still in flux. Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now.

Overall there is a push to further invest in PSN and focus on expanding the services ecosystem around the PlayStation brand. I'm not sure if much of it will be realised this year, but there is definitely a lot in the pipeline for next gen.

17. Post
    Sony files new patent in Japan

The patent enables “a game console” to emulate and upscale to 4K every single ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 game

Whether it makes it into the ps5 or whether Sony is just trying to patent the tech for something else is unknown

https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/we...38A470480304CE

18. Post
    Spoiler:

Well if the PS5 does have a 3.2ghz processor, 8 cores it could go with one core acting as the PPE & the other 7 acting as SPE's.

19. Post
    Sony stock down 9% investors not happy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-ma...on-11549022877

20. Post
    Valeyard wrote:

Is that site the equivalent of The Onion? PSN sales alone generated more sales than all of Nintendo last year.

21. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Is that site the equivalent of The Onion? PSN sales alone generated more sales than all of Nintendo last year.
    Its the WSJ so their pretty serious.

22. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Nintendo & MS combined* PSNow earns more than Xbox Game Pass. Best selling console of 2018, Nintendo will beat it easily this year. It's closing in on the end of the gen so Sony may need a new console soon not because of investors, but because PS4 is old...

23. Post
    Valeyard wrote:

The fundamental financials loook solid for the PlayStation division

It’s a record year for revenue and profit for the PlayStation division, ps4s are flying out the door and PSN has grown massively and continues to take revenue away from brick and mortar stores

The stock price drop is because other divisions are not doing as well
    Such as phones, cameras audio and whatever else Sony sells. I belive TVs are doing well though but other thanks TVs and ps4 and psn the rest is not doing that well

The reason for some of these divisions failing is innovation or lack there of - cameras and phones used to be massive for Sony but have fallen massively over the years

24. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    It’s a record year for revenue and profit for the PlayStation division, ps4s are flying out the door
    The sub-heading of the article in question: "Sales of the PS4 slowed despite discounted prices during the holiday season".

25. Post
    This doing the rounds.....

PS5 dev kits in the wild and i've some good news for you
    System will be revealed close to E3 2019 in Sony's Special event with some mind-blowing tech demos and a few megatons and a release date for Q1-Q2 2020! The Last of Us Part 2's motion matching in 4K 60fps is a joy to watch!
    Specifications:
    CPU: 8Core/16Threads at 3.2Ghz (boost) Zen2 (this is the biggest improvement we've ever seen CPU-wise, even bigger than PS2 to PS3)
    GPU: Fully NAVI-Based GPU with some AMD's next generation arch features at 12.6tf to 14.2tf (GPU clock still undecided)
    Memory: 24GB - 20GB GDDR6 at 880Gb/s - 4GB DDR4 reserved for OS
    2tb HDD