1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    opening it up to pirate software and online cheats.
    Mr Glass half empty here! Also: Homebrew, source ports, additional functionality like basic backups that are still missing a year after release. Although the other stuff is unfortunately bound to happen, ideally I'd love an "otherOS" setup where you could boot to either (since the vulnerability is in the Tegra bootrom rather than Nintendo's OS) a SD card linux sandbox, keeping the onboard NAND otherwise untouched for playing online.

3. Post
    I might get one with my tax refund now. PSP with the homebrew and emulators was amazing.

4. Post
    Now I can watch Netflix on the thing.

5. Post
    Even better, you one day may be able to back up your game saves!

6. Post
    orifice wrote:
    Even better, you one day may be able to back up your game saves!
    lol, Nintendo really has no idea how online should work for a gaming system

7. Post
    Sony is a Japanese company too. They can't use the "ohhh, they're so steeped in Japanese culture" excuse to be so backward in regards to current technological trends and consumer practices.

8. Post
    This is a good thing isn't it?

I never understood why they prevented the Switch from having the standard functionality of a tablet.

9. Post
    Hopefully this forces some new functionality out of Nintendo to meet demand. Personally I'm never too far from a laptop / mobile / tablet so I don't need to watch movies, youtube or whatever on the switch. Same goes for web browsing. The touch keyboard on the switch has always felt... yuck to me.. dunno why, maybe the 'keys' are too small coz i keep smooshing the wrong button (insert homer 'please mash the pad now')

cloud saves is an absolute must though. I'd hate to lose all my progress in Zelda, Disgaea, Xenoblade etc. like many people have due to corrupted data, stolen switch or sending it in for fixing and nintendo wiping the memory.

10. Post
    Feliz wrote:
    Mr Glass half empty here!
    Fair

The lack of cloud saves on the Switch is insane, and Nintendo's general uselessness/stinginess regarding Virtual Console and its back catalogue makes it hard for me to feel sorry for it re: emulation. If it provided a better, fairer service there, people wouldn't care about emulators.

That other stuff you describe will delight a small segment of the community, too, which is great!

What concerns me is: I get the feeling that many indies are doing well on Switch, and I don't want to see rampant piracy turn them away from the platform. Maybe that is too cynical, I'm not sure.

11. Post
    Pickle Rick wrote:
    What concerns me is: I get the feeling that many indies are doing well on Switch, and I don't want to see rampant piracy turn them away from the platform. Maybe that is too cynical, I'm not sure.
    Didn't stop them on the Wii U.

12. Post
    The new Nintendo president is only 46 so there's a chance he could push the company to get with modern times in regards to their services and consumer practices.

13. Post
    Grifty wrote:
    Didn't stop them on the Wii U.
    I don't think that's a great comparison. The Switch is being much more widely supported than the Wii U ever was - there are already 300+ more games available for it than there were released for Wii U over its lifetime, and the Switch has only been out a year.

I'm sure a lot of that is due to install base differential but regardless, it seems clear indies are much more psyched about Switch than they were about Wii U. You never heard about indies selling well on Wii U, but some are selling better on Switch than they are on PC.

I have no idea whether piracy will significantly affect these sales - hopefully not.