1. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    Has anybody placed a market order during a closed market?
    Wondering if the order generally ends up being the open price (prev. closed) or more like what the market dropped or rose to after-hours.
    Market doesn't change after hours.

It's the price "as fast as their servers can process" the moment the market opens. Taking into account all of the faster servers and prioritising limit buys and sells first and queue of other people who have put a market buy in.

So if close was $100. And limit buys are highest $300, and limit sells are lowest $250. Then you'll get in a queue that starts at $300, a queue that faster servers can cut.

If limit sells are lowest $450 (with limit buys stopping at $300), then market buys are the "how fast is your server" queue starting at $450.

2. Post
    Thanks.

"Important: Your order will be placed when the US markets open at the opening share price"

So I guess if the price is missed due to slow servers you would just have a pending order left there.

3. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    Thanks.

"Important: Your order will be placed when the US markets open at the opening share price"

So I guess if the price is missed due to slow servers you would just have a pending order left there.
    Oh, I see what you mean.

Open price isn't close price. Open price is the first trade price, or the final trade price of all overlapping limit orders prior to open.

Open price is only ever close price out of sheer (common) coincidence.

So it's possible that a share never opens if they have no volume.

EG.
    Previous close 0.9
    Market opens 10am
    They got good news after close.

6am
    Buy
    1.1 5
    1.0 5
    0.9 5
    0.8 5

Sell
    1.0 7
    1.1 5
    1.2 5
    1.3 5

Open = 1.0

8am - 1.0 seller wakes up. Changes his sell to 1.3 because he thinks the price is going to go up.
    Sell
    1.1 5
    1.2 5
    1.3 12
    1.4 2

If nothing changes, new open will be 1.1

9am 1.0 buyer sees he'll miss out, moves his up to 1.2
    Buy
    1.2 5
    1.1 5
    0.9 5
    0.8 5

New open = 1.2 (assuming nothing changes til 10am)

Say nothing changes, and you've got a market order in of 5 then you'll get them at 1.3. Because the 1.2s and 1.1s both filled and cancelled each other out.

4. Post
    Cool, makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Looks like AMZN making an afterhours jump today on good earnings. I ditched my AMD and split between FB and AMZN a couple of days ago. Will probably come away even :|.

Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) +9.8% reports Q4 results that beat revenue estimates by $1.35B and EPS by $2.51. For Q1, the tech giant expects $69-73B in net sales (consensus: $71.63B) and $3-4.2B in operating income (consensus: $4.04).
    ---

Don't buy shares at 7am in bed.

0.00162001 shares @ $308.64 USD
    A $3.00 USD fee has been deducted from your Hatch account

Tried to buy half a share. 0.5
    Last edited by MoNk; 4th February 2020 at 9:45 am.

5. Post
    Tesla crew!

6. Post
    Yeah buying that ath @$580 not looking like such a punt anymore

7. Post
    Austin 3:16

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200205-072449_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	228150

8. Post
    I bought and sold (~700 up to 920). This feels too much like bitcoin.
    I agree now that it will be worth more in the future, but that growth is not realistic. Meme stonk.

9. Post
    I'm watching the Tesla stock like

10. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    I bought and sold (~700 up to 920). This feels too much like bitcoin.
    I agree now that it will be worth more in the future, but that growth is not realistic. Meme stonk.
    Yeah its probably 90% priced on future expectations now. I might sell some more if it reaches $1k but probably will just hold on.

There is a case for a massive upside still (autonomous driving, their AI tech, mass market adoption of their cars, smashing the pickup truck market, battery tech, and self driving trucks)

Probably just hold. But it damn sure looks like a bubble lol

11. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    Yeah its probably 90% priced on future expectations now. I might sell some more if it reaches $1k but probably will just hold on.

There is a case for a massive upside still (autonomous driving, their AI tech, mass market adoption of their cars, smashing the pickup truck market, battery tech, and self driving trucks)

Probably just hold. But it damn sure looks like a bubble lol
    They could never meet their future potential. Competitors aren't going to just roll over and cede all of their markets. Their future potential is based on a market cap of 170 billion on a REVENUE of 25 billion with a 4 billion gross profit and a 1 billion loss.

Amazon turned a 115 billion gross PROFIT on 280 billion in revenue and a 14.5 billion net profit. According to share price/market cap. Amazon is only 5 times larger than Tesla.

Amazon, who is actually turning a huge profit with almost 50% margin, is 4 times the size of its revenue. Tesla is twice that on just under 25% profit. I don't believe that Tesla has more potential than Amazon.

Amazon is literally headed by Dr Evil, which means Number 2 is pulling the legitimate organisation strings in the background.

Name:	104598581-Bezos.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	228151

Last edited by suntoucher; 5th February 2020 at 10:36 am.

12. Post
    Auto invest is live today.
    I would have rather had stop-loss or a fees reduction, but at least it's an improvement.

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	228152

13. Post
    I sold @$953. Will look to rebuy tomorrow depending on the situation

14. Post
    what you gonna buy at?

15. Post
    Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) announces Dan Houser, Vice President, Creative at Rockstar Games, will be leaving.

It only just started going up for me. Down we go.

16. Post
    Kog wrote:
    what you gonna buy at?
    Will depend on what happens at opening in the morning, might have to get up at 3:30 to see haha

17. Post
    Rebought a bit early @ $790 but **** it was 3:30am and I wanted to go back to sleep

18. Post
    I wonder if we'll see another TSLA rally on Monday after this

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51366123

19. Post
    After hours prices don't seem to care about it.
    I bet there are so many bag holders over 800 wanting to get rid of it. It'll be hard to break through initially.

20. Post
    TSLA been getting spicy again this week

21. Post
    All this gain everywhere is making me nervous.
    $NVDA +25% over just a few weeks for me.
    $AMD +18% in 1 week.

I sunk some more $ into $AAPL on the dip.

I registered for Stake last week. So nice so not pay ridiculous Hatch fees. Can even pay by credit card (yikes). I might move my money over there.
    If anybody needs instructions to register let me know.

22. Post
    Stake.com.au?

23. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Stake.com.au?
    Yes. No trading fees. Great customer service. iOS/Android app.

24. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    All this gain everywhere is making me nervous.
    If you're into things that have solid foundations for the long term then it's better to ignore spikes.

I read something today that reckons markets will normally boost off the back of a viral outbreak so maybe that's a driving force.

25. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    If anybody needs instructions to register let me know.
    I'm on their NZ waitlist, how'd you sign up?