Philips Hue Vs Yeelight

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 2 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    I like the Hue’s myself, and I’m happy to pay more for stuff that just works, and takes next to no time to set up.

2. Post
    If you just want smart bulbs that is fine, though personally I'd buy LIFX over them, as they are brighter and don't require a hub.

3. Post
    I spoke to my mate who is a electrician, in terms of insurance, they usually need to have a document to say they are fine to use here (layman's way of putting it). He suggested I phone worksafe and have them confirm if lamps do need this. If so, then I doubt Xiaomi has something saying they are completely fine for NZ specifically therefore you run the risk of not being covered Should something happen

I'm going to phone my insurance company and run it by them also.

Would be good to go with the Yeelights given everything is half the price as the hues plus no hub needed.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dre; 3rd May 2018 at 1:03 pm.

4. Post
    Anywhere that sells the prong (non-edison) type hue starter kit?

5. Post
    you mean bayonet?

I can't find any bayonet starter kits

6. Post
    Noel leeming sells the bayonet bulbs. You could just buy the hub seperately from somewhere?

7. Post
    Dre wrote:
    Noel leeming sells the bayonet bulbs. You could just buy the hub seperately from somewhere?

Yeah, I guess that'd be the way to go.

8. Post
    I've recently purchased 3 Yeelights (Latest version, with B22>E27 Adapters), Along with the Gateway, Motion/Light Sensors, Wireless Switch and Air/Temp/Humidity Sensor.

I was looking at the Hues/LifX coloured equivalent but they're a lot more expensive.

Also bought Anker SoundCore Mini & Broadlink Mini that'll be used with my Intel Nuc which is just sitting around running Pi Hole. I'll put Google Assistant on it and i'll have a portable Google Assistant along with my phone to control any of my compatible hardware.

9. Post
    Don't try and buy hues cheap in USA etc they are not 120/240v :P friend found this out

10. Post
    For those interested I rang and spoke to my insurer who said it was okay for me to change lightbulbs "for ones I'm buying for China" without voiding my insurance if something happened.

11. Post
    Did you state they aren't tested to meet NZ standards? Can't trust insurance companies, unless it's written down by them, I wouldn't put any value on that phone call. That's just me though. I just can't see why they would cover if for example, a bulb was found to be the ignition source of a fire.

12. Post
    Are you sure they don't meet NZ standards? They are rated 220v-50hz? Is that not enough?

And yeah I felt like they were quick to say yes but I did speak with an underwriter.

13. Post
    I'd say it'd be a very easy way to decline an insurance claim if they determined e.g. a fire was caused by a globe not tested to the relevant Standard i.e. AS/NZS 60598.1 - Luminaires

14. Post
    ALthough this is aimed at things sold here, location won't matter, all electrical stuff will have the same standards to meet.
    https://worksafe.govt.nz/topic-and-i...ety-standards/

All i'm saying is be careful. They are being vague, and i'm not really sure why they are saying what they are. But they are probably leaving out the part where anything you source from China is expected to have been approved for use here and thus complies. They'll point out that last bit at the least helpful time I bet.

15. Post
    Yeah, I'm surprised they even gave a black and white answer. I work in life insurance and any specific questions we get asked around claim never met with an outright 'yes'

16. Post
    She was more concerned with any wiring/work carried out by a professional. I just reiterated that they are bulbs only, and from China.

As a side question, should we be worried about buying anything electrical online from another country? Seems crazy we'd have to be so cautious about everything with a plug.

17. Post
    Dre wrote:
    For those interested I rang and spoke to my insurer who said it was okay for me to change lightbulbs "for ones I'm buying for China" without voiding my insurance if something happened.

I think you got lucky there, make sure you take note of who you spoke to so you can use it against them if they deny your claim because of the Chinese lights

If you changed your question to: what happens if I install Un-Certified lights and they cause a fire will you provide coverage

Dre wrote:
    She was more concerned with any wiring/work carried out by a professional. I just reiterated that they are bulbs only, and from China.

As a side question, should we be worried about buying anything electrical online from another country? Seems crazy we'd have to be so cautious about everything with a plug.

I've got some Chinese friends that on occasion bring some novelty electronic goods back as gifts - I never use them if I'm not looking at it for fear of a fire being caused and not being covered by insurance

18. Post
    Dre wrote:
    Are you sure they don't meet NZ standards? They are rated 220v-50hz? Is that not enough?
    230v-50hz is the New Zealand standard power. Appliances have to be rated at 230v to be sold here, not 220, 240 ect.
    a range is okay like 100-240. just has to include 230.

I don't have any access to the standard which cover lamps themselves. just the fixings.

also. LAMP. bulbs grow in the garden

19. Post
    Decided I will go with hue just to avoid issues.

I did ask Yeelight if they were fine with NZ, they just say yes lol. Would be good if they just rated it 220-240v if they were so confident.

20. Post
    Voltage isn't really the problem, it's what quality fittings are used in general. That is what is checked I'd say when certifying products.

21. Post

22. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Voltage isn't really the problem, it's what quality fittings are used in general. That is what is checked I'd say when certifying products.
    Are you referring to the SDoC?

Edit - nevermind actually

Last edited by Dre; 9th May 2018 at 11:17 am.

23. Post
    I guess so? I just mean that anyone can make something to run on any voltage, so that is only a small part of the make up of a product.

24. Post
    Anyone looking to get the Hue range should take a look at pulling the trigger now.

Bunnings just dropped the price on their color bulbs and starter kit on their website. The color starter pack (3 bulbs + bridge) is $207 - mitre10 will then beat this by 15%, so you get it for $176 instead of usual $299. They'll beat them on 15% on everything else still also.

All in all I got 3 Color bulbs, 1 white bulb, bridge, switch for $232.

While Color is probably a novelty really, at this price you basically pay the same as the white ambiance if you're getting the starter kits and switch so why not.

25. Post
    ^ Keen, but no bayonet LED bulbs.