Philips Hue Vs Yeelight

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 7 of 8 First ... 45678 Last

1. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    I have a Harmony 880, I liked it so much I bought another one when the first one wore out after many years of use and abuse. I really don't like the design of their new stuff, it is less ergonomic and the 880 is also more intuitively laid out.

I also like the tactile feedback to just pick the thing up and press a button without looking at it and the fact it also has the backlit buttons for when you need to and a screen for the less used functions.
    Yea other than the shape and smartphone controls the elite is quite similar to the 880

2. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    My $40 IR/RF transmitter does the job, can use the app if you want to control things via a remote. I've integrated everything through it with my Google Home devices and just do it by voice, which is way more convenient.

I bought a WIFI dongle for my LED strip lighting and can control that via its app and by voice through Google also.
    I really just want to be able to use Alexa to control the TV, not worried too much about the actual remote itself. Tell me more about this IR/RF transmitter please?

3. Post
    I have the Broadlink RM Pro. I'll let this video answer that question for you

4. Post
    ^ Cheers man! $67 on TardMe - think ima get one!

5. Post
    No worries, there is an updated version called the Broadlink RM PRO+. There is also the RM Mini3 that just doesn't have RF and is cheaper and a different form factor- you can get the Mini3 for ~28 from Alliexpress.

You can control it from outside your home WIFI from your phone as well without having to set anything else up. I can use it for example to let someone in through my electric driveway gates when I am not home, which is handy when I don't want to give someone the pin code to the gate opener keypad.

6. Post
    Actually, i think this will be a better option;
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Broa...f-db0a407605da

7. Post
    Buying both of what I listed above? Sure if you have TV's in more than one room you want to control and still have RF capability from the RMPRO+.

8. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Buying both of what I listed above? Sure if you have TV's in more than one room you want to control and still have RF capability from the RMPRO+.
    Yeah, TV in an open plan living area, plus bedroom TV and Mancave TV, so will probably be living area and bedroom. The Mancave TV automatically comes on when I switch on the PS4 anyway, which is predominantly what it’s used for.

9. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Finally ordered these from the Broadlink store - pricing much the same as everyone else, but direct from them seems to have much better shipping.

They an easy set up?

In other news, our power bill has gone down quite a bit since installing the Hue LED downlights. Seems to be a combo of less power use than conventional bulbs, and because they're closed units, less heat escaping from them into the ceiling cavity. Pretty happy with it really.

10. Post
    They can be a little bit of a faff at first. Not sure if that has improved with plus model. With the RMPRO that I have, it (like a lot of Chinese smart tech) doesn't like 5GHz at all, as in you may even have to disable it on your router first before starting the setup process as it takes offense to it even being there - weird, but it is what it is.

The IHC software is passable, not great, but is also a lot better than it use to be. Once you make an account with it as part of the setup, your config will be saved to the cloud, so if you get a new phone etc you won't have to go through setting up all your gear again.

For setting up TV's and things you can search for models and it should give you a base list of the buttons you have on your remote (just like Harmony does, but it isn't as comprehensive as theirs). I just did a custom setup and manually recorded each function off my remotes that I wanted - takes a while, but once it is done, you don't have to do it again.

I recorded each channel on the remote for example 10 (Prime). I then went into the scene creating function in IHC and made a scene called 'Prime' that enters 1 and then 0 on the remote to change to that on my Freeview Plus box. I then went into Google Home and created a routine that runs that scene (once you tell Google Home to sync with Broadlink it can do this). So now I can just say "Ok Google, Prime" and the Google Home will activate the RMPRO to change the station.

This works anywhere as long as your WIFI is on in your house. So for example when I am coming home at night I have a scene that opens my driveway gates, turns my outside and inside lights on and turns the TV on plus my HT amp and Freeview Plus box and puts them all on the correct settings. So I just say "Ok Google" whilst driving (as my phone is linked via Bluetooth to my car stereo) "I'm home" and then it executes that scene.

When creating the scene it is good idea to put at least half a second between each command you want it to execute, so the transmitter sends the signals out correctly - especially when turn on a bunch of AV gear where you have it changing inputs and channels.

You should have better control over it than I do, as the Alexa integration is currently better than Google Home with it. I think you can control the remote functions directly without the need for scenes more easily with it.

11. Post
    ^ Legend - thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Sounds like it's going to be fun!

12. Post
    These arrived today and I got both set up - piece of piss really, all went rather smoothly. Alexa integration sounds about the same as Google to be honest.

Have 2 TV's to control, so have to say "Alexa, change bedroom TV to Prime" for the bedroom TV, and "Alexa, change TV to Prime" for the main TV. So just set up scenes that enable me to say "Alexa, bedroom Prime" and "Alexa Prime".

Will spend a bit more time over the weekend messing about with it. Need to move the Mini closer to the bedroom TV too. Quite impressive so far, cheers for the recommendation.

13. Post
    No worries. Glad it went smoothly. It is definitely a lot easier to setup with IHC than it was with their previous software - still has its quirks for getting non-Broadlink RF devices and even their own RF light switches to work with it mind you.

14. Post
    From what I understand these light bulbs need to switch to be permanently turned on for them to work? Does this not complicate the WAF? I.e. once someone turns the lights off at the switch all the automation bells and whistles stop?

So to really benefit from HUE or equivalent i need everyone to start using their phone to control lighting?

15. Post
    ^ Yes, that's correct. You can also use devices like Google Home and Amazon Echo to control them via voice, which is what Hell Knight, me and others are doing. It's cool to be able to say "Alexa, lights on" and your lights come on. You can have it control multiple devices like heat pumps and aircon - I say "Alexa set the temperature at 22 degrees" and our heat pump comes on at 22 degs.

Heh, I kept going "Alexa lights on", and it wouldn't work because someone had turned them off at the mains switch (only me and wifey, and could have been me - it's a hard habit to break!). So I've put a piece on white tape over each of the switches now until we break the habit.

Oh and you can get physical switches that you can program to control the lights. I'm gonna get a few and see if I can put them over the top of the existing mains switches. This kind of thing;
    https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

16. Post
    I just changed the light switches themselves out with nice backlit tempered crystal glass touchscreen smart switches, so that I could just use any 'dumb' bulb. They aren't certified for use here mind you, but they have passed all the necessary certs for other big countries, so I didn't mind taking the risk - besides which they have electronic overload protection and are probably safer then the standard old switches.

So with these you can turn them on and off at the main switch as well, as it doesn't stop you from controlling them via app or voice.

17. Post
    ^ They sound excellent! Link?

18. Post
    Here you go. Just remember if you do buy any of these, as above you will technically void your insurance because they haven't bothered to get them certified for our tiny country and a local sparky probably wouldn't install them because of that - I did it myself (piece of piss really).

I'm also looking at another model at the moment that has a built in dimmer that can be app and voice controlled also.

19. Post
    There a couple of options out of AU that keep tempting me. Plus the Shelly 1 looks quite good too.

Unfortunately none are certified for NZ, and I keep coming back to the thought that if my house burns down i'd regeret not spending the extra few dollars for the Aeotec ones.

20. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Here you go. Just remember if you do buy any of these, as above you will technically void your insurance because they haven't bothered to get them certified for our tiny country and a local sparky probably wouldn't install them because of that - I did it myself (piece of piss really).

I'm also looking at another model at the moment that has a built in dimmer that can be app and voice controlled also.
    Thanks man. I don't think I'd be willing to take the risk eh. They look really slick, I have to admit, but I'm kinda with Panic on this one. $700,000 investment gone because you liked the cool back-lighting!

The one Philips switch we have is great, so thinking about grabbing a couple more. These seem to be the cheapest at $32.50, everyone else is about $50;
    https://www.mobilefun.co.nz/official...hoCGC4QAvD_BwE

But I've never heard of or bought from this website; anyone used them? Will ask in OD as well.

21. Post
    I am only using two of the Broadlink switches (outside lights and dinning room). I think if they had an issue it would just stop the switch from working with how they are wired. My lighting in my living area is an LED strip controlled by a WIFI dongle and a floor lamp controlled by one of their smart plugs.

I don't need the smart switches in utility areas (hallway, toliet, laundry) as I just used motion sensing LED bulbs, which are more convenient.

22. Post
    Motion sensing LED bulbs sound good. Where'd you get them from? Sorry for all the questions, it's just good to get advice from someone who knows the product and can vouch for it. Appreciate it!

Bought a couple more Philips Hue switches today. Mobilefun.co.nz would have been $36.50 delivered and up to 3 weeks shipping (they're in the UK). JB had them for $49.00, Mitre 10 for $49.80. So "price promised" them at Mitre 10 and got them for $41.65 each. Nickel and diming, for sure, but it's the system, and $15 is $15, lol.

Had them set up literally within a minute. Sometimes I just don't wanna be yelling "Alexa kitchen on!" when the wife is fast asleep

23. Post
    Just used Aliexpress for the motion bulbs as well. Only had one die after a couple of years use, they are cheap enough that it was hardly a big deal.

Only thing with these is you can't have a light fixture that covers the sensor part of the bulb - you can also get fancy replacement ceiling lights with the sensor built in if you want to spend a load more money.

I am thinking about getting one of these Xiaomi smart celing lights for my lounge. They had it on special for $175 at Easter, should have grabbed it then.
    Last edited by HELL KNIGHT; 6th May 2019 at 12:55 am. Reason: typo

24. Post
    As always, thanks man!

We have conventional downlights, so I've just ordered one of the 18w ones to try. It's 12cm long, so should stick out enough for the sensor to be all good. Will order some more if it's good.

That Xiaomi one looks very cool. I guess you'd need a sparky for that? I'd like one of those Philips Go portable lights. Would be good for outside on the patio during the summer, etc.

This is cool too. We'll be re-doing our ensuite soon, so might get one for over the mirror when we do;
    https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...BoC5x8QAvD_BwE

25. Post
    No worries. My place has old bayonet light fittings, so I can just unscrew that from the ceiling and plug the wires from it into the Xiaomi one.