Philips Hue Vs Yeelight

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Philips Hue Vs Yeelight

Thoughts?

Are the yeelights of AliExpress even compatible in NZ?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

2. Post
    I use a whole house worth of yeelight.

They're great but not as bright as the hue. At a quarter of the price though it's not really an issue.

I have the v1 RGB not the newly released V2.

My only issue is not having a physical button and having to get my girlfriend comfortable with using my google homes or her phone to control the lighting.

I am working on a solution at the moment that would allow physical buttons and voice control as at this time it's sadly one or the other.

Overall they are a great product and I could only highly recommend.

Happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

3. Post

4. Post
    restecp wrote:
    I use a whole house worth of yeelight.

They're great but not as bright as the hue. At a quarter of the price though it's not really an issue.

I have the v1 RGB not the newly released V2.

My only issue is not having a physical button and having to get my girlfriend comfortable with using my google homes or her phone to control the lighting.

I am working on a solution at the moment that would allow physical buttons and voice control as at this time it's sadly one or the other.

Overall they are a great product and I could only highly recommend.

Happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Awesome thanks. When you say you don't have a switch do you not even have the original switches in the walls? Or do you mean you wish you had something similar to the smartswitch that the hue has? I like the option of the smartswitch as well especially with two others living here + visitors.

Can the Yee work with Echo and Google home? Voice commands would be good although not essential.

Finally are the yees on AliExpress compatible in NZ? Do they come in our light fixtures and are they rated to our power? Would hate for something to explode or die because of mis matching power ratings?

I'm thinking of maybe running both set ups. The hue + smartswitch in the living for the ease and then Yee in the bedroom so I can add accent lightings to the bed and not have the whole room setup cost me shit loads.

5. Post
    I have Broadlink TC2 touch screen light switches and their smart sockets as well for my floor lamps (need the RM Pro RF/IR transmitter/reciever for my setup). So I still have physical control of my lights in addition to voice and app control. And can control them from anywhere over the internet.

With this setup you can just buy much cheaper LED bulbs.

When driving into my street at night I have one voice command setup with this that opens my driveway gates, turns the lights on, plus TV, HT AMP and Freeview Plus Box.

I use my Google Home to control them in the house most of the time, but it is nice having the backlit light switches as well.

6. Post
    Dre wrote:
    Awesome thanks. When you say you don't have a switch do you not even have the original switches in the walls? Or do you mean you wish you had something similar to the smartswitch that the hue has? I like the option of the smartswitch as well especially with two others living here + visitors.

Can the Yee work with Echo and Google home? Voice commands would be good although not essential.

Finally are the yees on AliExpress compatible in NZ? Do they come in our light fixtures and are they rated to our power? Would hate for something to explode or die because of mis matching power ratings?

I'm thinking of maybe running both set ups. The hue + smartswitch in the living for the ease and then Yee in the bedroom so I can add accent lightings to the bed and not have the whole room setup cost me shit loads.

I still have the physical wall switches but if you turn them off you lose the smart ability to turn them back on via the app etc. They are best left on at the wall and turned on/off via software / app.
    I ended up mounting a spare phone to the wall that I have the app pinned to the screen with and I use that as a switch instead (super geeky I know)

Yes the yeelights work with Google Home. I am sure they do with Echo as well I have both but my preference is the Google ecosystem. This works flawlessly.

Yes I obtained mine via AliExpress and they work absolutely perfectly. The new ones are 110-240v. I have had mine for a year and 0 issues.

I was going to do similar with running both platforms but I could not bring myself to spend that much on lights JUST for a switch where with a bit of know how using platforms such as Hass.io on a raspberryPI etc worked just as well.

Have a look at the Xiaomi Aqara smart home stuff.

7. Post
    As a fan of RGB, I just want to say how awesome these bulbs are - now you can have a RGB party in your whole house, not just your PC!

Where are the RGB haters now!???

I mean, who wouldn't want this in their lounge?

If you don't have the ambilight tv (because why generally buy a Philips tv) - just use the led strips and stick them to the back of your TV and you get the same thing
    Last edited by SirGrim; 30th April 2018 at 6:41 pm.

8. Post
    restecp wrote:
    I still have the physical wall switches but if you turn them off you lose the smart ability to turn them back on via the app etc. They are best left on at the wall and turned on/off via software / app.
    I ended up mounting a spare phone to the wall that I have the app pinned to the screen with and I use that as a switch instead (super geeky I know)

Yes the yeelights work with Google Home. I am sure they do with Echo as well I have both but my preference is the Google ecosystem. This works flawlessly.

Yes I obtained mine via AliExpress and they work absolutely perfectly. The new ones are 110-240v. I have had mine for a year and 0 issues.

I was going to do similar with running both platforms but I could not bring myself to spend that much on lights JUST for a switch where with a bit of know how using platforms such as Hass.io on a raspberryPI etc worked just as well.

Have a look at the Xiaomi Aqara smart home stuff.
    If it gets turned off at the wall does it reset everything or once the switch is back on does it return lighting conditions to how it last was?

Is the app easy to use and easy to set up multiple rooms and multiple scenes?

And finally to go off topic a bit, Echo v Google - what's your main preferences with going with a Google Home over an echo? I think I'd prefer a Google home given it will connect with Chromecast, Google maps info etc but Alexa aparsntly has much better smart home compatability.

9. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    I have Broadlink TC2 touch screen light switches and their smart sockets as well for my floor lamps (need the RM Pro RF/IR transmitter/reciever for my setup). So I still have physical control of my lights in addition to voice and app control. And can control them from anywhere over the internet.

With this setup you can just buy much cheaper LED bulbs.

When driving into my street at night I have one voice command setup with this that opens my driveway gates, turns the lights on, plus TV, HT AMP and Freeview Plus Box.

I use my Google Home to control them in the house most of the time, but it is nice having the backlit light switches as well.
    Are the switches easy to install when replacing existing switches?

10. Post
    Dre wrote:
    If it gets turned off at the wall does it reset everything or once the switch is back on does it return lighting conditions to how it last was?

Is the app easy to use and easy to set up multiple rooms and multiple scenes?

And finally to go off topic a bit, Echo v Google - what's your main preferences with going with a Google Home over an echo? I think I'd prefer a Google home given it will connect with Chromecast, Google maps info etc but Alexa aparsntly has much better smart home compatability.

Nah it doesn't reset everything it's great. You can even set favourite states so when they come back they turn on as a white instead of a purple or something that you had it on before.

Yup the app is super simple and really easy to set up with rooms/scenes.

I just personally prefer the ecosystem of Google. I have 5 Google Home/Home Minis around the house. Many smart power plugs. 2x Nvidia Shield TV 2017's 2x Nexus Players and multiple chrome-casts and it all works flawlessly.

I have an Alexa and I just really did not find it that useful. I just find for my personal uses my pre-existing use of Google products makes it better for me. EG listening to music, with my play music / youtube red subscription it works so well. With the Alexa it was much harder.

I don't regret a single one fo those Google Home purchases.

11. Post
    Dre wrote:
    Are the switches easy to install when replacing existing switches?

Yeah, just had to plug the two live wires in. The onboard circuitry takes care of the rest.

Here is an out of focus closeup shot of what the backlighting on the switches looks like in the dark btw:
    Last edited by HELL KNIGHT; 30th April 2018 at 7:41 pm.

12. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Where are the RGB haters now!???
    I wouldn't say i'm a hater of RGB, but your lounge looks like a circus, not even once lol.
    Moderation is key.

13. Post
    I have 10 metres of LED strip lights behind my couch on a WIFI controller, the app has a mode where it can change through the colours in time to music/sound using the microphone on your phone - I played with it for a couple of mins when I set them up and haven't touched it since.

But if you want to have a garish disco in your house, by all means.

14. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    I have 10 metres of LED strip lights behind my couch on a WIFI controller, the app has a mode where it can change through the colours in time to music/sound using the microphone on your phone - I played with it for a couple of mins when I set them up and haven't touched it since.

But if you want to have a garish disco in your house, by all means.
    Which wifi controller did you get?

15. Post
    Just one of these cheap ones off Aliexpress. I need to contact them about it though, as it make an audible hum if you have it on anything less than 100% brightness - hopefully it is just a faulty one.

16. Post
    Hell Knight, you have a link for the Broadcom switches you used. I've been looking into switches for ages but struggle to find CE approved ones.

17. Post
    If you're on AliExpress, I wouldn't put any values on any certifications at all. Insurance won't either I don't imagine. Even for products sourced in NZ I had to get all of the correct paperwork to say they meet the NZ standards. To get electrical sign off on a build. This is the reason I'd never have anything aliexpress wired into my house, I like insurance cover.

18. Post
    Yeah well that's the thing.
    So Fragluton, what have you got, where did you source and where/how much was certification checking etc?

19. Post
    I don't have automated lights, I do have strip lighting in a bulkhead, but it was easier to source that locally with the NZ business signing off the lights than trying to get legitimate paperwork from overseas. I also don't have downlights so bulb setups weren't an option. Best I could do would be automate lighting circuits via my alarm system / phone app. Wasn't something I wanted though, but there is that way of doing it.

My sparky would have just stared at me if I asked him to fit and sign off anything from AliExpress haha. It's a bit different for bulbs that you acrew in, but if any failed and caused a fire, I'm not sure there would be any comeback if they found them at fault.

20. Post
    XenoM wrote:
    Hell Knight, you have a link for the Broadcom switches you used. I've been looking into switches for ages but struggle to find CE approved ones.
    You can get them cheaper on Aliexpress, but I got mine from Banggood. They say they have all the appropriate certs. But yeah, you might have sign off issues with them if getting a sparky to put them in, as they don't have them for NZ.

I need to get new wiring run to put one in my garage for outdoor lighting, so I'll find out then.

21. Post
    So pretty much same as me - except I've done nothing. I was hoping you had some insight into getting some hardware imported and tested/signed off.

There are distributors in NZ for Broadcom so was thinking I confirm what Hell Knight is using then talk to a distributor.
    https://www.broadcom.com/how-to-buy/#distributors

22. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I don't have automated lights, I do have strip lighting in a bulkhead, but it was easier to source that locally with the NZ business signing off the lights than trying to get legitimate paperwork from overseas. I also don't have downlights so bulb setups weren't an option. Best I could do would be automate lighting circuits via my alarm system / phone app. Wasn't something I wanted though, but there is that way of doing it.

My sparky would have just stared at me if I asked him to fit and sign off anything from AliExpress haha. It's a bit different for bulbs that you acrew in, but if any failed and caused a fire, I'm not sure there would be any comeback if they found them at fault.
    I've gotten a few gifts over the years (electronic items brought over the border from china) I've summarily not left them plugged in while not watching them, I can't trust it and as you say, if they cause a fire the insurance will be oh so happy

23. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    If you're on AliExpress, I wouldn't put any values on any certifications at all. Insurance won't either I don't imagine. Even for products sourced in NZ I had to get all of the correct paperwork to say they meet the NZ standards. To get electrical sign off on a build. This is the reason I'd never have anything aliexpress wired into my house, I like insurance cover.
    Any idea on how insurance companies view bulbs then? Where would you draw the line, given any electrical appliance you can buy and plug in probably has the chance of blowing up and causing a fire?

24. Post
    Bulbs with be built to standards, so if they are sold in NZ there will be compliance paperwork available. I had to get one for my doorbell of all things, due to supplying it myself. Sparky already has the docs for everything he supplied. So if you're getting bulbs from AliExpress then I'd forget about getting paperwork that means much here. I didn't go deep into it though. But I imagine someone has to verify the products are safe to use here. My door bell was Arlec and I had to get the docs from their website via email from Australia. I probably could have asked Bunnings for it, but email was easier. There were no problems with it as they have approval in NZ to sell them. It's a fart around, but it's the same with everything these days when it comes to compliance of new products.

Basically if I was buying lights for an automated system I'd buy locally and make sure I had all the paperwork for it. It's just arse covering, but if to don't do that these days it can bite. Personal opinion and all that.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 1st May 2018 at 1:40 pm.

25. Post
    XenoM wrote:
    So pretty much same as me - except I've done nothing. I was hoping you had some insight into getting some hardware imported and tested/signed off.

There are distributors in NZ for Broadcom so was thinking I confirm what Hell Knight is using then talk to a distributor.
    https://www.broadcom.com/how-to-buy/#distributors
    Mine are Broadlink, not Broadcom - easy mistake to make.