Philips Hue Vs Yeelight

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Got my Hue switch, pretty quick and easy to get it connected. I wish it had slightly more options like being able to turn one bulb off without using the phone app.

If anyone knows of a way to do that please let me know

Otherwise the switch is awesome, no latency between pressing the buttons and the lights changing

Spent some time again last night using lightsync and I'm just totally in love. Lightsync + 5.1 surround sound = I'll never go to a Cinema again, this is why Cinemas are dying - it's pretty easy to do something at home that's far better than the cinemas experience

2. Post
    I'm using Amazon Echo to turn the hue lights on and off...

3. Post
    Yeah I use google home or the hue app.

4. Post
    Does anyone else's Hue lights come on at random? This is if you leave the power on at the wall but turn them off using the phone app or the Philips controller - it seems to be random as well as to which bulb does it, it's never all of them that come on, just one random one and it doesn't happen every day. So far it's only ever happened at night, I've never come home or being at home to see them come on during the day

I'm wondering if voltage spikes/drops in the circuit may be causing it
    Or maybe the phone app is sending wonky data to the bridge at random

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Does anyone else's Hue lights come on at random? This is if you leave the power on at the wall but turn them off using the phone app or the Philips controller - it seems to be random as well as to which bulb does it, it's never all of them that come on, just one random one and it doesn't happen every day. So far it's only ever happened at night, I've never come home or being at home to see them come on during the day

I'm wondering if voltage spikes/drops in the circuit may be causing it
    Or maybe the phone app is sending wonky data to the bridge at random
    Nope.

6. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Nope.
    +1

In related news, we're getting quotes to replace all* of our downlights with Hue ones. Not just the bulb, but the whole downlight. Will mean we're using less power, and we'll have less heat escaping through the tops of the conventional downlights come winter (and of course the ability to control the lights better).

*just looking at main living area and bedroom/ensuite at the mo, but still probably gonna be a couple of grand.

7. Post
    Waiting for bits to turn up for DIY ambilight at the mo, Hue etc too pricey for me.

8. Post
    Yeah it’s probably just a software bug or something
    I’ll reset the bridge and phone app and see if that works
    It’s real random so it’s hard to know for a while if it’s worked

I don’t mind having to turn the lights off using the normal power switch but then it just means I bought the Philip’s remote for nothing because it doesn’t actually turn the lights off

9. Post
    Just bought 17 of the Hue downlights, going in nek Thursday.

Mitre 10 were $80 each, Bunnings were $70. Went to Bunnings, said “Can you get 17 of these? Don’t want them just yet, just want to know if you can get them”. They said “Yep!”. Went to Mitre 10 and price matched them with Bunnings with their 15% extra discount - $58 each. Sparky has quoted $250 to install. So main living area, bedroom and my Mancave being done for $1261 all up, give or take.

Now I just need one of those Harmony remotes so that I can get Alexa controlling the TV, and I’m pretty much set for the time being.

What else can I automate?! Hmmmmmm.

10. Post
    The wife???

11. Post
    Mate, I’ve seen The Stepford Wives

12. Post
    Hue downlights are all in now, have some sweet routines set up for them - sparky had never installed anything like them before, and was really impressed with the tech.

13. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Hue downlights are all in now, have some sweet routines set up for them - sparky had never installed anything like them before, and was really impressed with the tech.
    did you install special sockets too? or do you have to just make sure you turn them off via voice/app every time?

14. Post
    Xeulifer wrote:
    did you install special sockets too? or do you have to just make sure you turn them off via voice/app every time?
    I have two Amazon Echo's, so use them most of the time. Adjust the tone of the light with the Hue app. Also have a Hue Bridge, which comes with one of those switches that you can program to control whatever lights you want, so use that on occasion too.

Enable whisper mode on the Echo's and short responses, so it doesn't wake the wife when i'm leaving early. I have a gym routine set up where certain key lights come on, but very dim - enough to see but not so bright as to wake wifey when i'm leaving home at 5.20am.

Couple of iPads around with just the Alexa and Hue apps for if i don't have my phone on me.

Now i just need to find a suitable Harmony remote so that i can get it controlling the TV's, and i'm pretty much sorted.

15. Post
    Best update hue release to date, set a custom colour tone when the light has been switched off then on at the wall or had a power cut.

Set my default to "energise" instead of the shit "bright" ootb yellow tone.

But they need to extend this to set custom tone on routines.

16. Post
    Frederick James wrote:

Now i just need to find a suitable Harmony remote so that i can get it controlling the TV's, and i'm pretty much sorted.
    Harmony Elite is the best AV related purchase I've ever made

17. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Best update hue release to date, set a custom colour tone when the light has been switched off then on at the wall or had a power cut.

Set my default to "energise" instead of the shit "bright" ootb yellow tone.

But they need to extend this to set custom tone on routines.
    I find the 'energise' colour to be a bit too stark for my liking. The super-yellow is definitely too yellow though.

St4lk3r wrote:
    Harmony Elite is the best AV related purchase I've ever made
    Cheers, will check it out.

Edit; Holy f**k it's expensive!! Might have to park that one up for a while.

18. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I find the 'energise' colour to be a bit too stark for my liking. The super-yellow is definitely too yellow though.

Cheers, will check it out.

Edit; Holy f**k it's expensive!! Might have to park that one up for a while.
    Yea wife borked at the time and now 3 years later we all panic when we've forgotten to charge it and it turns off

Its worth every cent

19. Post
    Hve you tried any off the cheap Chinese knock offs though?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

20. Post
    Xeulifer wrote:
    Hve you tried any off the cheap Chinese knock offs though?
    Nah I haven’t bothered - I want stuff that is just going to work, that has easy setup with decent quality and stability. The Hue stuff has been faultless, and I don’t mind paying for that. I know a few of the other guys here have tried them tho, and had good experiences.

21. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Nah I havenít bothered - I want stuff that is just going to work, that has easy setup with decent quality and stability. The Hue stuff has been faultless, and I donít mind paying for that. I know a few of the other guys here have tried them tho, and had good experiences.
    I have a couple of yeelights and just tossing up what way to go as I'd prefer to go all one type... is the any benefit to hue apart from reliability?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

22. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Yea wife borked at the time and now 3 years later we all panic when we've forgotten to charge it and it turns off

Its worth every cent
    Honestly I bought a cheap $5 Chinese learning remote and found it far better mainly because it has big squishy buttons you can locate by feel without having to look down.

You only use a handful of buttons regularly and it is good to have them all there at your finger tips rather than having to scroll through a touchscreen.

23. Post
    My $40 IR/RF transmitter does the job, can use the app if you want to control things via a remote. I've integrated everything through it with my Google Home devices and just do it by voice, which is way more convenient.

I bought a WIFI dongle for my LED strip lighting and can control that via its app and by voice through Google also.

24. Post
    brand wrote:
    Honestly I bought a cheap $5 Chinese learning remote and found it far better mainly because it has big squishy buttons you can locate by feel without having to look down.

You only use a handful of buttons regularly and it is good to have them all there at your finger tips rather than having to scroll through a touchscreen.
    I'm glad that worked out for you, I've had many remotes over the years and I've found this one the best yet, it has back-lit buttons for when you need to find a non common use one and the rest are easy as pie by feel

25. Post
    I have a Harmony 880, I liked it so much I bought another one when the first one wore out after many years of use and abuse. I really don't like the design of their new stuff, it is less ergonomic and the 880 is also more intuitively laid out.

I also like the tactile feedback to just pick the thing up and press a button without looking at it and the fact it also has the backlit buttons for when you need to and a screen for the less used functions.