1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Australian review board has been caught out blatantly lying about game content before, so sad our tasman cousins are still under their authoritarian thumbs

3. Post
    It's funny they produced an R18 rating but never use it.

What a fearful country.

4. Post
    Saying its banned is a very different thing to saying its been refused classification. Don't go confusing them for the same thing. There not.

For example, last time I checked, under Victorian Law an RCed movie or game is allowed to be imported, however, you are not allowed to publicly display the packaging or have public views of it, so you would be able to play it, but not stream it on Twitch or Youtube.

Rii wrote:
    It's funny they produced an R18 rating but never use it.

What a fearful country.
    Mafia 3 was R18+ for 'High impact sex, nudity, coarse language, drug use, themes, and violence'

The problem with We Happy Few is not that drugs are being taken, but how and why it is taken. It's dumb, and should not happen, but thats why.

5. Post
    I bet game of thrones isn’t banned in Australia

6. Post
    Jagji56 wrote:
    Saying its banned is a very different thing to saying its been refused classification. Don't go confusing them for the same thing. There not.

For example, last time I checked, under Victorian Law an RCed movie or game is allowed to be imported, however, you are not allowed to publicly display the packaging or have public views of it, so you would be able to play it, but not stream it on Twitch or Youtube.
    No, games that are refused classification are banned for import federally: http://www.classification.gov.au/Gui...rt-export.aspx

Can I import something that is banned in Australia?
    In short, no. If a film, computer game or publication has been classified RC (Refused Classification), or would be classified RC, it can be seized by Customs on the basis that it is a prohibited import. You should check the National Classification Database (NCD) to see if the product you plan on importing has been classified RC.
    Banned is appropriate terminology.

7. Post
    A game about society controlled by big brother and drugs is banned by the authorities "for the greater good" of society.

Is this some kind of viral marketing campaign??!?

8. Post
    lolstralia

9. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    No, games that are refused classification are banned for import federally: http://www.classification.gov.au/Gui...rt-export.aspx

Banned is appropriate terminology.
    Thing is, you can legally own an RCed game or movie in Vic. So, is it really banned then? Like I said, all the states have their own rules.

10. Post
    Jagji56 wrote:
    Thing is, you can legally own an RCed game or movie in Vic. So, is it really banned then? Like I said, all the states have their own rules.
    Possession is legal (except in WA and some areas of the NT); however sale, hire, public exhibition (and importing) are not, and this is a federal determination.

So yes, it really is banned, and no, the states don't make their own rules regarding import.

11. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Possession is legal (except in WA and some areas of the NT); however sale, hire, public exhibition (and importing) are not, and this is a federal determination.

So yes, it really is banned, and no, the states don't make their own rules regarding import.
    Yep. But it's not banned. You CAN own it and use it. Banned implies illegal to own it. But the states say you can own RCed material, so why you can't import it or sell it, you can own it, and there for its not banned due to the ability to posese it under state law.

12. Post
    Jagji56 wrote:
    Yep. But it's not banned. You CAN own it and use it. Banned implies illegal to own it. But the states say you can own RCed material, so why you can't import it or sell it, you can own it, and there for its not banned due to the ability to posese it under state law.
    Yes, it's not banned for posssession, but it's banned for sale or import (which is an equally valid use of the term 'banned'). http://www.classification.gov.au/Gui.../Pages/RC.aspx

Refused Classification (RC) is a classification category. Material that is Refused Classification is commonly referred to as being ‘banned’.

Films, computer games and publications that are classified RC cannot be sold, hired, advertised or legally imported in Australia.
    How are you going to acquire if if it's not legal to purchased or import? Whether or not it's legal to possess, for all intents and purposes it's banned. The terminology used is correct.

13. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Yes, it's not banned for posssession, but it's banned for sale or import (which is an equally valid use of the term 'banned'). http://www.classification.gov.au/Gui.../Pages/RC.aspx

How are you going to acquire if if it's not legal to purchased or import? Whether or not it's legal to possess, for all intents and purposes it's banned. The terminology used is correct.
    Who knows. But once you have it, its legel. So...

14. Post
    Jagji56 wrote:
    Who knows. But once you have it, its legel. So...
    Regardless of whatever your definition of banned is though, the link Kev posted from the au government stated clearly that using the term banned for material that is RC is acceptable.

15. Post
    Pretty much what I expected when they fought for a R18 rating - that it would just let them slip MA stuff to R18 and still ban stuff they didn't like.

Still living in a country run by baby boomers that don't have a clue about video games.

16. Post
    /Shakes head

I don't get these people.

17. Post
    I'll get it just because it is banned. Great marketing ploy...

18. Post
    gooseman77 wrote:
    I'll get it just because it is banned. Great marketing ploy...
    Banning < chances of being awesome