Guns!

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Results 576 to 600 of 1810

  1. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    NZ Herald is reporting that the Attorney-General wants a full ban of semi-automatic rifles

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213269
    From the article
    "The fourth person who was arrested yesterday was a member of the public who was in a possession of a firearm, but with the intention of assisting police," Ardern said.
    I understand he actually discharged a couple of shots at the Subaru with a shotgun.

    The comments from Attorney General are disappointing, someone in his position should have the sense to look at a problem critically instead he comes our with an emotional statement calling for a ban on all semi-automatic firearms.

  2. Post
    her position*

  3. Post
    Mek7 wrote:
    From the article


    I understand he actually discharged a couple of shots at the Subaru with a shotgun.

    The comments from Attorney General are disappointing, someone in his position should have the sense to look at a problem critically instead he comes our with an emotional statement calling for a ban on all semi-automatic firearms.
    Is this the same as the report I heard that someone had just picked up a shooters gun and started shooting back?

  4. Post
    Mek7 wrote:
    The comments from Attorney General are disappointing, someone in his position should have the sense to look at a problem critically instead he comes our with an emotional statement calling for a ban on all semi-automatic firearms.
    I agree - I hope he isn't, but he is possibly politicising it and using yesterdays events to adopt a preconceived agenda...

  5. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Is this the same as the report I heard that someone had just picked up a shooters gun and started shooting back?
    Might be conflating two different incidents.

    The guy arrested and released is this guy: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213264

    There has been reports that at the Linwood Mosque one of the people present obtained one of the shooters weapons but was unable to find the trigger as he drove off

  6. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    What's coming? Sensible restrictions on 8+rd magazines for sure. Perhaps making semi rifles B endorsement?
    I'd be inclined to run with a capacity change, seems most factory mags are either 10 round or 30 round. Up the A cat capacity to 10 round to match what's being sold by most manufacturers and available on bolt action, and make it an E-cat requirement to own/buy 30 round.

    This idea would work on bolt and semi, so a blanket 10 round restriction on magazine size, this gives some sanity to cover off existing bolt action, but makes it bloody easy to police/enforce. You want a 30-round, show us your E-cat...

  7. Post
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    her position*
    Attorney General is David Parker?

  8. Post
    Is it known yet precisely what gun model the shooter used? I've now seen the video he fired like about 30- 40 bullets before reloading the magazine. The shooter had a gun licence, why are these types of guns even legal ? I really hope there is going to be significant changes to the current gun laws. Or there could be more mass killing incidents.

  9. Post
    Mek7 wrote:
    Attorney General is David Parker?
    my bad, i read Kevins post as Governor general for some reason

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thunderstorm wrote:
    Is it known yet precisely what gun model the shooter used? I've now seen the video he fired like about 30- 40 bullets before reloading the magazine. The shooter had a gun licence, why are these types of guns even legal ? I really hope there is going to be significant changes to the current gun laws. Or there could be more mass killing incidents.
    two AR-15s, a semi auto shotgun & a pump action shotgun... some other guns in his foot well but idk what they were

    Same guns as what a lot of US killers use, but they still refuse to change their gun laws around them

  10. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Is this the same as the report I heard that someone had just picked up a shooters gun and started shooting back?
    Yeah possibly sounds like it might have been his own though described in this call as a double barrell shotgun. https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/p...g-mark-nichols

  11. Post
    restrict the public to bolt action imo.

  12. Post
    I'd hope hope beyond all hope that all semi center fire rifles (not sure about rim-fire or shotguns go to "cat, purchasing magazines and components requires an "" endorsement , but in reality Cahill has been pushing a registry and for all semis to get banded for sometime and he is a disingenuous opportunist. I'll be curious if they go after pistols, god I hope not ...I am to old and infirm to learn a new sport. I only own restricted firearms being a competitive shooter not a hunter etc and I just did the rough math on the optics alone; about 25k...prays for a buy back if hey are going to do a ban...my last AR was $6.5k
    I'm curious if Norway banned semis after Anders Behring Breivik massacre? The Scandavian nations are probably the closest to NZ in legislation and mindset.

  13. Post
    Mek7 wrote:
    From the article


    I understand he actually discharged a couple of shots at the Subaru with a shotgun.

    The comments from Attorney General are disappointing, someone in his position should have the sense to look at a problem critically instead he comes our with an emotional statement calling for a ban on all semi-automatic firearms.
    agreed

    the knee jerk overreaction is exactly what the shooter wanted and is getting

  14. Post
    Semi autos should go.

  15. Post
    Theyre gonna go alright, on the black market.

  16. Post
    We should get all the facts first.

  17. Post
    It was a bump stock mod wasn't it?

    PM was saying they were modified.

  18. Post
    I have no problem with semi-auto centrefires being restricted to people who have a legitimate use for them (cullers, people running a WARO operation) - it only takes one bullet of proper power and weight to kill an animal, no recreational hunter is looking to carry three deer out, and if you need 7 bullets then you should learn to aim or stalk better.

    Yeah, sucks for people who do 3 gun etc. but if it limits the amount of firepower available to nutjobs I'm down.

  19. Post
    I'm still waiting for the members from the other thread who were trying to AR-splain me to back up their arguments

  20. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    It was a bump stock mod wasn't it?

    PM was saying they were modified.
    Unlikely since you cannot buy those here.

  21. Post
    Was just thinking, for the 3 guns who have a legitimate recreational need for a semi-auto, could operate it like the pistol licensing - you join a club, they endorse you, there's a thorough background check. Hell, 3 gun requires a pistol right, so they've already been through that process.

    No real reason that your average joe hunter needs to be able to buy a Dragunov or Norinco M-14 derivative on an A-Cat.

  22. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Unlikely since you cannot buy those here.
    We'll have to see what the Police say about his weapons. I figure he just spent a lot of time practising getting his trigger pull swift - he didn't need accuracy in the mosque. Hell, he emptied his first semi-auto shotgun into the back of the first person he shot, so he wasn't trying hard to aim.

  23. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Was just thinking, for the 3 guns who have a legitimate recreational need for a semi-auto, could operate it like the pistol licensing - you join a club, they endorse you, there's a thorough background check. Hell, 3 gun requires a pistol right, so they've already been through that process.

    No real reason that your average joe hunter needs to be able to buy a Dragunov or Norinco M-14 derivative on an A-Cat.
    A compromise with M-14's could be a pinned low capacity mag because they should still be able to accept stripper clips? Same with SKS's - probably easier to just blanket ban semi-automatics though... can you imagine how many 10/22's would have to be collected

    - - - Updated - - -

    Edward Diego wrote:
    We'll have to see what the Police say about his weapons. I figure he just spent a lot of time practising getting his trigger pull swift - he didn't need accuracy in the mosque. Hell, he emptied his first semi-auto shotgun into the back of the first person he shot, so he wasn't trying hard to aim.
    he was firing semi auto in the first mosque - no bump stock

  24. Post
    As mentioned earlier the lax ability to turn an A-cat into a MSSA and the pathetic firearms storage rulings have always struck me as bazaar.
    Cant really imagine a killer like yesterdays attack using either a Draganov or M-14 rather than an AR or AK but agree with your general point.

  25. Post
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    A compromise with M-14's could be a pinned low capacity mag because they should still be able to accept stripper clips? Same with SKS's - probably easier to just blanket ban semi-automatics though... can you imagine how many 10/22's would have to be collected
    Could argue that semi-auto rimfires do have a legitimate purpose though - bunny busting.