Fallout 76

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    this is the most IST sentence ever
    Should we be worried about his digital objectophilia? Seems to be escalating. One day someone is going to find him unresponsive, covered in jizz with multiple Steam, Origin, PS, and Nintendo store pages open on multiple screens in his game dungeon.

2. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Not buying the game or showing support for the company making it would be one thing.
    That wasn't enough to be a deal breaker for me

I was actually mistaken and thought that the vault 87 super mutants came along much later than when fo76 is set however after taking the time to do a little research the ones from vault 87 were pesting around the wasteland since 2078 so I'm okay with some making there way to west virginina (mountain mama) in the intervening ~24 years.

3. Post
    Christ this game looks like shit. Looks awful. Now I'm worried about Elder Scrolls.

4. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Should we be worried about his digital objectophilia? Seems to be escalating. One day someone is going to find him unresponsive, covered in jizz with multiple Steam, Origin, PS, and Nintendo store pages open on multiple screens in his game dungeon.
    This is the best thing I have ever read

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    That wasn't enough to be a deal breaker for me

I was actually mistaken and thought that the vault 87 super mutants came along much later than when fo76 is set however after taking the time to do a little research the ones from vault 87 were pesting around the wasteland since 2078 so I'm okay with some making there way to west virginina (mountain mama) in the intervening ~24 years.
    It still doesn't work. The extremely limited access to FEV and usable subjects (non-radiated humans) is the issue. Then there is the migration and the fact that they've managed to create that many in such a short period of time. These would need to be offspring from Vault 87, it's problematic. Sure its likely not a hill to die on, but is another example of lore/canon being lost for no good reason. Same issue with Ghouls. The OG Ghouls are mutants from Vault 12. The Bethesda era ones were born post-war and the result of slow mutation over an extended period of time and multiple generations. I know many people don't care, but as a Fallout nerd it annoys me. Especially when you look at how verdant many parts of the game look and the apparent long time establishment of heavily mutated creatures.

All Bethesda needed to do was set the game well past the other games. Make Fallout 76 open after 15 generations (500 years). You can then explain the partial recovery of the landscape, and all the mutants, creatures, or whatever you like.

There is no single thing that break the game for me, but a series of smaller changes or lore/canon things not lining up.

6. Post
    Understandable, I'm not so focused on lore as I used to be so that sort of thing does not stack up for me into a deal breaking like game mechanics would. From a few of the notes scattered about it looks like the ghouls taking generations is being changed in fo76 back to a more "traditional" post blast occurrence...

Agreed on the timeline, I don't get the "bombs didnt directly hit so its mostly intact but creatures are heavily mutated angle" but I can just pretend the clocks are running slow.

7. Post

Interesting video on the workshop mechanics

8. Post
    What f*cking atrocious graphics and framerate. They need to throw this graphics engine down the well. It doesn't optimise well, you need to brute force it with strong hardware.

9. Post
    Wow! That's what the nuke looks like? Jesus. Eva we dont often agree, but that looks like utter garbage. Last gen graphics and a complete lack of post-processing.
    Granted it's still pre-release so performance is likely to improve, and some graphical improvements are possible, but it does look like an early access indie in that video.

10. Post
    I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and will assume that the game looks and runs so bad because they're probably playing a console build. (In all likelihood the PC version's graphical effects will look not much better). Fallout 4 ran like absolute shit on consoles after all and 76 is a glorified MP expansion pack of FO4.

This game is out a month from now, I'm not getting my hopes up. At the moment I'm looking at a purchase as a collectable Power Armour helmet and the game as a pack-in bonus.

11. Post
    The nuke is terrible, I really hope its a place holder or something because its very wtf.

The hit detection/sound issues and chugging was highlighted by evas favorite youtuber mrmattyplays as 2/5 things he wants fixed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJepGLyXmk

He talks about watching all of the machines chug every 15 odd seconds

The devs told him it was an earlier build focusing around performance around the vault

I'm assuming the chugging wont be a thing on pc... but crikey if the hit detection at launch is like that I would also fall into the collectible helmet with bonus game category.

12. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    The hit detection/sound issues and chugging was highlighted by evas favorite youtuber mrmattyplays as 2/5 things he wants fixed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJepGLyXmk

He talks about watching all of the machines chug every 15 odd seconds

The devs told him it was an earlier build focusing around performance around the vault
    Just as I suspected, the press played the game on Xbones. Fallout 4 would drop down to 0 fps at times on Xbone, utterly pathetic. Throw out the Gamebryo engine already FFS.

Leakers have said that Starfield is running on modified IdTech. Please be so, IdTech 6 scales ridiculously well to lower end hardware (i.e. like which consoles have).

13. Post
    Gamebryo is hilariously bad at this point. I wonder how many loading screens you'll see just moving around in a building. Welcome to 2003.

14. Post
    It’s worth noting that Bethesda has stated that later builds are better optimized, which may become self-evident in the forthcoming B.E.T.A. Until then, however, it remains to be seen how the multiplayer title holds up. Nevertheless, Bethesda’s reputation precedes itself, so players can likely expect to see some graphical enhancements by the official launch of the game.
    obv its going to be mint

15. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    obv its going to be mint
    Are you being sarcastic or sincere?

16. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Are you being sarcastic or sincere?
    Bit of both, I'm expecting some improvement for launch but I wouldn't be surprised if overall performance is worse than fo4 with all the multiplayer bizzo going on

17. Post
    I haven't really been following this, as i've assumed that it's going to be another typical Fallout - a great game on an aging platform - but is the general consensus that it's looking like shit?

18. Post
    Depends what you want. If you want something like the other main series games you are not going to get that here (its supposed to be a spinoff but still).

If you want to wail on shit in the fallout universe with your mates you might like it.

Mightyape has no charge before shipping so if you are that way inclined you could preorder, get a B.e.t.a code and get into it that way (but it is time limited in the period)

Edit - I think it looks fun, its probably going to end up my 7 days to die replacement game (which I've stuck nearly 1000 hours in) so the idea of there being no human npcs does not scare me off when there are still quests from ribbits, tapes etc etc. Plus buildings and whatnot. There are some aspects at the moment that are concerning (hit detection, sound issues, chugging) but the gameplay at least looks interesting enough for me to want to play it.

19. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    typical Fallout - a great game- but is the general consensus that it's looking like shit?
    It's not a typical Fallout. It's basically Baby's First Open World MP Survival Shooter. I.e. The risk and reward nature of PvP has been decentivised and nerfed into the ground so to not piss of the normies who wouldn't like losing all of their shit upon death.

The storytelling and Choice + Consequences roleplaying inherit to even the already dumbed down Fallout 4 is pretty much all thrown out of the window. Eg you can re-customise your character's body cosmetics on the fly.

on an aging platform
    ALL of the Bethesda-developed games throughout the generation have performed like shit. I wouldn't say it's the fault of the hardware, more that the old, shit engine that they've been using since 2002 doesn't optimise well. You need to brute force with powerful hardware to get it to run well.

20. Post
    and they get mad at over 60fps

21. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    It's not a typical Fallout. It's basically Baby's First Open World MP Survival Shooter. I.e. The risk and reward nature of PvP has been decentivised and nerfed into the ground so to not piss of the normies who wouldn't like losing all of their shit upon death.

The storytelling and Choice + Consequences roleplaying inherit to even the already dumbed down Fallout 4 is pretty much all thrown out of the window. Eg you can re-customise your character's body cosmetics on the fly.

ALL of the Bethesda-developed games throughout the generation have performed like shit. I wouldn't say it's the fault of the hardware, more that the old, shit engine that they've been using since 2002 doesn't optimise well. You need to brute force with powerful hardware to get it to run well.
    Cool. Will wait for reviews. RDR2 will probably still be holding my attention anyway.

I did actually mean 'engine' rather than 'platform'.

22. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I haven't really been following this, as i've assumed that it's going to be another typical Fallout - a great game on an aging platform - but is the general consensus that it's looking like shit?
    General consensus seems to be that people are cautiously optimistic. Then there are those on either end who seem more entrenched. Those like me that were dubious (at best) when announced are even more so, and those that wanted a MP Fallout experience seems pleased for the most part.
    That being said all sectors have commented on how dated it looks, and have a lot of unanswered questions about performance not only of the game, but Bethesda's servers.

23. Post
    super exciting news, Tricentenial edition (and power armour) skins shown now. Hadnt seen weapon skins shown before so thats new. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VS7zT2W.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	357.6 KB 
ID:	223717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JgXgHV4.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	223718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5ERkYdk.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	347.3 KB 
ID:	223719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e91PtVu.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	223720

24. Post
    Fallout 76 Will Not Hit Steam To Provide Customers "The Best Experience Possible"

Just be honest and admit that you don't want to give Valve a 30% cut of digital sales. Why PR execs regularly drop the dumbest excuses that nobody would buy for a second, I dunno.
    Sony: "We won't allow cross-play MP with other consoles to protect the chilluns!" *Meanwhile historically family friendly company Nintendo happily supports it*