Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    Depends on the fitment, None on my 535i or 130i, hardly any on my M5. If you go +1 on tyre width you'll get some.

I would suggest generally smaller wheels (size and width) will more often have a wider tyre fitted and thus provide rim protection.

2. Post
    I am looking at a used option. The front bumper has some chips and the paint work has minor blemishes.

If this car was on a yard do the dealers generally fix the paintwork in preparation for sale?? Is that part of the cost difference? I don't recall seeing major paint blemishes on cars in yards or was I just not very observant?

3. Post
    Depends. Some dealers will do cosmetic work, others will just click the car off as is to someone dealing in trade ins. Either way you'll end up paying for it.

4. Post
    How do you repair stone chips and paint chips? Does the entire panel need to be repainted? I can't imagine that would be cheap for me as a cash sale - do dealers get to do this at a drastically cheaper rate?

5. Post
    Hmmm. AA pre-purchase check or no AA check?

2014 NZ New fully serviced 30,000km vehicle. Still under new car warranty for 1 year.

What's the risk of buying without a check?

6. Post
    futsal wrote:
    How do you repair stone chips and paint chips? Does the entire panel need to be repainted? I can't imagine that would be cheap for me as a cash sale - do dealers get to do this at a drastically cheaper rate?
    Depends if you just want to make the chip less visible or if you want it totally gone
    Completely removing the chip means a repaint

7. Post
    futsal wrote:
    What's the risk of buying without a check?
    Could make a long list. I'd have the car checked over buy the local seller of the vehicle new. Why cheap out on a ~$150 check when you're spending up large. Car might have been abused for 30,000km.

8. Post
    Thanks. Booked for a check tomorrow. Then maybe flying to Christchurch to pick up

9. Post
    If a PPSR check is done on a vehicle (to check for loans/money owing) and it is clear, can I be scammed by a seller that for examples goes and takes a loan out on the morning before I buy the vehicle off them later the same day?

Is that scam possible?

10. Post
    are you buying a car from a car dealer?

most loans are because the car itself is security for the loan for buying the car. banks usually aren't interested in particular cars to secure against loans.

11. Post
    antil33t wrote:
    are you buying a car from a car dealer?

most loans are because the car itself is security for the loan for buying the car. banks usually aren't interested in particular cars to secure against loans.
    Small finance companies will use any asset as security such as a car - I suppose what futsal is proposing could in theory work - but it must be a private seller then

12. Post
    futsal wrote:
    If a PPSR check is done on a vehicle (to check for loans/money owing) and it is clear, can I be scammed by a seller that for examples goes and takes a loan out on the morning before I buy the vehicle off them later the same day?

Is that scam possible?
    If you're really worried, text the PPSR immediately before taking the vehicle. Then put the vehicle in your name immediately. http://www.ppsr.govt.nz/cms/searchin...ppsr/txtb4ubuy

13. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Small finance companies will use any asset as security such as a car - I suppose what futsal is proposing could in theory work - but it must be a private seller then
    It's the kinda thing I could see happening with like a really cheap weird ass facebook deal rather than a more expensive car haha

14. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    If you're really worried, text the PPSR immediately before taking the vehicle. Then put the vehicle in your name immediately. http://www.ppsr.govt.nz/cms/searchin...ppsr/txtb4ubuy
    I thought about doing that just before buying but someone told me it was paranoia to the max AND that if the private seller did that it would be fraud (correct) so therefore the finance company could/would not repossess from me. Not so sure about the second statement.

15. Post
    It's not paranoia, it's the reality these days. It is fraud yes, but finance company won't care, they'll take the car and leave you to chase up the owner.

Tell that person with the advice they should stick to what they know (i'd also stop taking anything they say seriously). There are people getting caught out all the time due to not doing their due diligence.

Big difference between dealers and private sellers, as to how they can operate though. So without knowing which it is, hard to say. GL. I sold a trailer recently, and had them change ownership before pick up. If concerned, i'd do the PPSR check when standing at the vehicle, then change the ownership, then and over the cash. Not sure there is anything else you can do really.

16. Post
    Thanks. I didn't redo the PPSR check in the end.

It is an older person's car, an older person was selling it, and I made a judgement call in the end.

We sat in a cafe, he bought me a coffee (read into that what you will), and I fired up my laptop and asked that we both register change of ownership on my laptop in front of each other.

I asked him to check his internet banking to check that my money had gone through (same bank to same bank) and he asked me whether it was safe for him to use his internet banking "in a public place" (he didn't connect to the cafe wifi and was using mobile data). He almost didn't care whether the money (large sum) had landed in his account but I told him I wanted to be assured that he had received the money.

He was also suspicious as to my motives behind printing out a sale and purchase agreement (very basic standard template found online).

So in the end I thought he probably didn't set out to defraud me. Not 100% but was a judgement call.

17. Post
    Most people aren't out to defraud people.

I had one random as deal $20k owing to me for 2 weeks, but it came through in the end.

18. Post
    I had one dude pay me twice.

He did an internet payment.

Then he couldn't wait for the internet payment to come through overnight, came around with cash.

Banked cash, refunded his internet payment.

That was a bit keen I thought.

19. Post
    My current car has been broken into three times now. Both at work and at home. I checked the aa top 10 list and it's right near the top so I think it's time to sell and buy something less of a target.

Any recommendations?
    I travel every day between Hamilton and Cambridge.
    Needs to be fuel efficient and small
    Reliable
    Ideally with an immobiliser
    In the 6-8k price range

20. Post
    What do you keep leaving in your car that makes them want to break in?

21. Post
    Never had anything in the car to steal. But apparently the car is very desirable as it's easy to break into.

Mazda demio

Window repair place had three of them in last week

Update:. I did have a can of soup in the boot.
    Soup not taken

22. Post
    Lol. Get a corolla in that price bracket with the lowest km and best features you can find.

23. Post
    If we’re breaking windows then every car is equally easy to break into.

24. Post
    Some cars are harder to drive away with.

And despite my car having an alarm they managed to break in without setting it off

25. Post
    Disinfo wrote:
    If we’re breaking windows then every car is equally easy to break into.
    some cars have double locking so you can't pull the locks up if they only smash say a 1/4 window.. but yeah bricks work well for a quick smash and grab.