1. Post
    The petrol station around the corner was raided using a stolen Mazda Demio yesterday morning.

I'm guessing that it was the same teens who tried to take my car.

2. Post
    Hi all,

I'm getting bored of driving the nanamobile (Toyota Raum) and started looking out for something spicy. It's myself and wife only, she doesn't drive. Not interested on maintaining 2 cars so I'll sell the Raum and keep one car only. Don't want to go further than something like $18k. Ideally it has to be reliable, ok to maintain, all that stuff people want all the time lol. It will be used for everything, from groceries and gym weekly drive, to Mt Ruapehu 2 or 3 times in winter time and long road trips. Staying out of thieves radar is interesting as we'll be parking where wherever is possible sometimes.

Got myself interested in the Toyota Blade Master-G (V6 3.5L). Any comments?

I crossed out Subaru Impresa WRX/S-GT (2.0 Turbo) and Mazda Speed3/MPS (2.3? Turbo) because apparently they are highly desired by thieves.

BMW 135i and VW Golf GTI out as people say euros are complicated on the maintenance side.

Nissan Fairlady/350z might be a little too much roadster for my use.

Please feel free to throw another name in the bowl / contest my ideas / tell me to f off cause I'm in the wrong thread/forum area.

Cheers,

3. Post
    I'd pick one of these over a Z car: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...3d3d0009eb2876

The navigatrix in japanese is a bit of a pain, but you learn to live with it (I have the same in my fuga).

4. Post
    The Blade is more of a luxury model than performance - bags of power but the suspension and transmission suck all the fun out of it. I'd sooner have an Auris TBH

I wouldn't rule out the Mazda or Subaru - check insurance rates and go from there

5. Post
    If you write things off because they have one downside then you won't have anything left to buy.

Who cares about theft, that's what insurance is for.

The Mazda is a nice car. Scoob is a bit basic. 135i is fine but it can throw you some curve balls maintenance wise.

Blade master G is a bit rubbish.

6. Post
    Mazda3 MPS is manual only. Do you want auto or manual?

7. Post
    Thanks all the inputs

I mentioned the crossed out ones in the first message to share what I've heard and to explain how I got to the Blade, more than happy to bring them back.

I checked the insurance for the MPS, not that bad. What bothers me about theft is that sometimes on a road trip you have no options other than leave some valuables inside the car, if you stop for lunch the bags and stuff will stay in the car. We always keep them out of sight but if the car is attractive there is nothing we can do. But agree, we pay the insurance for a reason, it should not stop me from owning something.

I'd prefer a manual, but wouldn't mind a tiptronic.

Cheers,

8. Post
    Cars are stolen more based off how easy they are to steal than how desirable they are.

I Ioved my 3 MPS but it wasn't the best long distance cruiser, comparatively noisy and rough compare to something like a Golf GTI. It more than made up for it in the fun stakes though.

If you're considering the Blade then also consider the Aurion - you get the same drivetrain but a much better sorted chassis. Also cheap as chips (as are all the big V6 sedans)

9. Post
    Yeah, I've seen $1 reserve Aurion's go for between $4k and $5k, which must be really disappointing for the sellers (for 2007ish cars).

10. Post
    If you can stand the styling, A33 Maximas are great buying these days.

11. Post
    Disinfo wrote:
    Cars are stolen more based off how easy they are to steal than how desirable they are.
    The most stolen list from the AA should make it obvious - you don't see expensive, modern vehicles on there.

While not impossible, you actually have to know what you are doing to steal a new car - and in fact the easiest way to steal them is to tow them, but most likely they will have mechanical locks on all four wheels until the key is recognised so you need a tow truck that can lift the vehicle up onto the truck bed - then you worry about starting it or parting it later. I think even legit two truckies are having to work harder to move these high-end new cars now because even if you get in, you either can't get it into neutral or even if you do the wheels still won't move without the keys

Not to say it doesn't happen, there has been a rise in stolen high-end Audi's in the last while - it's because south Auckland gangs got their hands on a device that can hack wireless signals from car keys, so they just wait around until the owner comes back and get the key info, then make a copy and that gets to you into the car

12. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The most stolen list from the AA should make it obvious - you don't see expensive, modern vehicles on there.

While not impossible, you actually have to know what you are doing to steal a new car - and in fact the easiest way to steal them is to tow them, but most likely they will have mechanical locks on all four wheels until the key is recognised so you need a tow truck that can lift the vehicle up onto the truck bed - then you worry about starting it or parting it later. I think even legit two truckies are having to work harder to move these high-end new cars now because even if you get in, you either can't get it into neutral or even if you do the wheels still won't move without the keys

Not to say it doesn't happen, there has been a rise in stolen high-end Audi's in the last while - it's because south Auckland gangs got their hands on a device that can hack wireless signals from car keys, so they just wait around until the owner comes back and get the key info, then make a copy and that gets to you into the car
    Is he making this shit up, or getting it from fringe nutcase youtube channels, do we think?

13. Post
    I dont know a single car that locks all four wheels (unless you mean FWD being in park locking front wheels and park brake on rears), not even a Merc S class does (or did when i worked at Merc last year).

You cant get them out of neutral, but thats been standard for autos since the dawn of time. "legit" towies will just use dollies to move the car, or drag it onto a flat bed.

There are plenty of ways to clone key codes for expensive cars now. unless your car is super rare and cannot be replaced, theft is basically a non-issue if you are insured. Hell, most insurers even offer loan cars to keep you going.

14. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Is he making this shit up, or getting it from fringe nutcase youtube channels, do we think?
    The stealing for gangs by a key reader device is real, salesman who I bought the Swift from on Monday said they'd lost a car to a guy doing exactly that (and he was known to the police, since he was well and truly caught on camera).

15. Post
    I’ve owned 3 MKV Golfs and I have had no issues with either. Never used the warranty on them and never had a check engine light. They’re great cars and the fun factor is fantastic. An R32 is comparable to a blade in the fact that it has a big lump at the front and is a good cruiser. The R32 sounds fantastic too and are getting cheaper. The gti is a great car, you can get a decent mk6 for that money, a Pirelli Edition with the S3 engine – albeit detuned – or a even go a slight step up and get an Audi S3. Also if you want a bigger car, a Passat R36 is a great option.

16. Post
    Personal experiences are great and all but MKV Golfs were the most searched car on autodata in 2017 for a very good reason. it ain't because of their reliability. Have one in at work ever second day. The cars go great and all but yeah they do spent a lot of time in garages. Stay right away from the 1.4L GT model at all costs. Motors like to blow up.

NZ new Mazda MPS is always a good buy. Not a fan of the jap import only because the credit card type key fobs system is rubbish.

17. Post
    That’s also because there are a lot of them, you can see 20+ Mkv golfs just driving 30 minutes in Auckland

There is a recall out for the 1.4 tsi engine in Australia, the car needs a remap many of the issues is caused by owners not using 98 ron - not the customers fault VW advertise you can use 95

18. Post
    Bloodline wrote:
    NZ new Mazda MPS is always a good buy. Not a fan of the jap import only because the credit card type key fobs system is rubbish.
    The NZ spec is pretty complete too whereas a lot of stuff is optional on the imports - part leather, side/curtain airbags, cruise control, HID headlights etc

19. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    That’s also because there are a lot of them, you can see 20+ Mkv golfs just driving 30 minutes in Auckland
    There are more Swifts and Corollas and Mazda 3s and plenty of other Jappas on the road and they don't suffer from anywhere near the same number of issues.

20. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Thatís also because there are a lot of them, you can see 20+ Mkv golfs just driving 30 minutes in Auckland

There is a recall out for the 1.4 tsi engine in Australia, the car needs a remap many of the issues is caused by owners not using 98 ron - not the customers fault VW advertise you can use 95
    Na it is because they are unreliable.

21. Post
    The amount of Golfs (mostly 4th Gen stuff ) that used to come into my old workplace was hard to believe. Poor build quality, not nice to work on and you'd always end up breaking something plastic. They do drive better than the average Japanese equivalent but they are a typical disposable car in my book as they appear to be only made to long so many years\km

22. Post
    The MK4 doesn't even drive particularly well.

The MK5 was a huge improvement in that regard but bought in garbage FSI engines

23. Post
    Disinfo wrote:
    The MK4 doesn't even drive particularly well.

The MK5 was a huge improvement in that regard but bought in garbage FSI engines
    I thought my golf drove exceptionally well

24. Post
    Bloodline wrote:
    Na it is because they are unreliable.
    This, ours has had it's CEL on basically it's entire life.

25. Post
    Maybe the engine was just lonely.