Next Xbox codenamed "Scarlet"

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Post
    Yep - Microsoft mandates the standards are cross SKU games - there was no mandate for Xbox 360 and Xbox One - nothing in writing that says you must deliver the same game on a Xbox 360 and Xbox One and that's fair enough, but it is in writing that you need to deliver the same game on Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X

So that comparison with forza doesn't work

Otherwise, DW is right, devs already deal with loads of configurations + I seriously doubt anyone will be releasing a new new console every year, maybe every 3 years sure

As for optimization - it's a bit of a myth in the x86 age, multiplatform console games perform pretty much on par with a PC that has the equivalent hardware to a console, there is no magic advanced optimization magic happening. The only games that may receive special optimizations is Exclusives and I'm sure a 1st party studio won't mind too much about having to optimize for 2 or 3 difference xbox machines

2. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    why? why punish people who would buy iterative upgrades because some don't want to

just like phones, no one forces you to buy a new phone ever year, so why should others be punished because you only want to buy one every 5 years
    I'm probably being unnecessarily grouchy about it. I used to like the knowledge in buying a console that I was getting the same experience as others, the tradeoff over PC gaming (where you basically get upgrades whenever you can afford them) is that the devs get to grips with a known hardware set and can produce amazing results with what they have. Ever since Playstation 4 Pro or whatever came out (about a year after I got my PS4 lol) I've been sour.

I primarily game on PC now, but it's a bit stink buzz going back to my PS4 for some AAA game that everyone is going on about to find that I'm potentially getting the short of end of the stick

3. Post
    JC wrote:
    I'm probably being unnecessarily grouchy about it. I used to like the knowledge in buying a console that I was getting the same experience as others, the tradeoff over PC gaming (where you basically get upgrades whenever you can afford them) is that the devs get to grips with a known hardware set and can produce amazing results with what they have. Ever since Playstation 4 Pro or whatever came out (about a year after I got my PS4 lol) I've been sour.
    They're still producing static hardware SKUs that developers can optimise specifically to get the most out of. It's very much business as usual.

The majority of developers are still hardlocking MP framerates so that people get the same performance across the board too.

4. Post
    It's mandated anyway I think, I know for the PS4 it is, all multiplayer games need to have the same framerate cap

5. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    They're still producing static hardware SKUs that developers can optimise specifically to get the most out of. It's very much business as usual.

The majority of developers are still hardlocking MP framerates so that people get the same performance across the board too.
    I guess that's a relief. If I get RDR2 on my crusty old PS4 (as opposed to a pro) am I getting downtrowed?

6. Post
    It's the same game and it's 30fps on all consoles, the only difference is resolution

7. Post
    Not surprised, I fully expected both Microsoft and Sony were in full development of the next gen

8. Post

Pretty sweet, even better if they can use it for VR

9. Post
    https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...ampaign=social

Will be interesting to see how well this sells and is received.

First detailed by Brad Sams, Microsoft has been experimenting with a discless Xbox One S console codenamed Xbox Maverick, with a launch window thought to be around Q1 2019. According to our sources, we now know a little bit more about the timing and marketing name of this intriguing new console.

Microsoft is reportedly set to call the discless Maverick console the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition," with preorders aiming for mid-April 2019, and with general availability coming in early May 2019. It looks as though it could be near-global simultaneous launch for almost all existing Xbox markets.

The discless Xbox One S would be a first for the company, offering fans the ability to ditch discs altogether and go all-in on digital game licenses. As Microsoft pushes for greater access to its game library via things like the Xbox Game Pass digital subscription and the incoming streaming service Project xCloud, dropping the disc drive from the "All-Digital Edition" should make it the cheapest Xbox console yet, although we have no word on pricing just yet, or whether the console will see any design refinements beyond simply dropping the disc drive

10. Post
    ^ Was just reading about that .......

I'm a little confused as to who it's aimed at, and where it will sit in the market.

I can't see the point if it's aimed at people wanting a cheap console, when the digital content is still as expensive as it is. Late adopters and price-conscious consumers are likely going to want to take advantage of the cheap second-hand games market, which they can't do with this.

Maybe they're just testing the waters for a future machine?

11. Post
    If you're mostly content with the likes of Game Pass and games when they're heavily discounted after release then digital can be very cheap (not to mention the seemingly increasing number of free to play games).

12. Post
    As more people jump on fibre its only going to accelerate the move to digital. I dont go out of my way to purchase discs anymore maybe if I happen to be walking past an eb games I might pop in and check out their pre owned deals but thats it. The convenience of digital out ways the pros of physical copies imo.

13. Post
    ^ my issue has mostly been I can usually get cheaper Physical copies and when Im done trade/sell as example ive traded a bunch of games that I dont have to thrown down any cash for Division 2, I dont have an issue moving a few metres to put a game in a machine. Current example on PS store Division 2 std $109.95 and Gold Ed $157.95 Mighty ape have these for Std $94 and Gold $149 Being a dad to a 5 year old I dont have the luxury to pay more than I need to for a game just for convenience

14. Post
    DW wrote:
    If you're mostly content with the likes of Game Pass and games when they're heavily discounted after release then digital can be very cheap (not to mention the seemingly increasing number of free to play games).
    That’s a really good point, forgot about that.

15. Post
    I would hazard a guess that here will be substantial discounts if you own one of these. Because you get more % off if you have Xbox live gold, but they would have to make it enticing enough for people to bother picking one up. A cheaper base price simply wouldn't cut it

16. Post
    I don't agree with you ludez. Time is perfect for a discless console to sit alongside a disc drive console with digital making up 40%+ of the console gaming market.

With MS ideal world of buying a game on console which you also get to play on the XBStore on PC. It'll be pretty cool, too have a cheap console on the market. While MS is finally realizing its about the games, exclusive games that makes people decide what console to pick along side of friends to play with. With the investment in new studio's & IPs its a good time to test the market unlike the XB1 launch.

Like I've been doing since PS3 went full digital on all games, I switched over from physical copies to digital as its just a ton cheaper having to be able to play 2 copies off one digital rights. It'll be targeting those with Family's, PC users or even flat mates where buying a cheaper console with no disc drive is very attractive as you can easily purchase one game & play on two consoles (or PC) at the same time.

If cheap enough I might even consider picking one up for my flat mates. I'd be like "Here's a Xbox to use in the lounge, it comes with zero games (except FH3, I do have that). If you want to buy a game for it, it'll have to be digital on my account". Unless its multi-platform / no PC version, or I just plain out don't care for that title. Even then, if its Forza or a great IP. I might decide to go half's in the cost so I can play it on my PC while they jam it out on the console.

Yep, best landlord ever I am, got one borrowing a TV + PS3, another is using my PS4 while his is at cashies while hes waiting to get his bond back. Freeview in each bedroom, Sky in the lounge. Probably come Winter we'll just have 3 TV's in the lounge & be gaming out while the heat pump keeps us warm. An Xbox that they can play & get cheap games by going halfs in the costs of said game, well even better! Great for me (been skipping Forza because of costs), awesome for them too! Why wouldn't I be interested in a cheap Xbox, love me some good co-op / MP gaming.

Yeah yeah, I speak a lot of doom in gloom for MS but I still don't want cross-play on competitive titles & other stuff. If done correctly MS can still find a good following of gamers. This gen, they should of easily won the 'console war' next-gen a better battle will be fought but MS really needs to prove themselves that they can produce quality games that get released & people care for & to continue supporting said developers to make games they want to produce.

17. Post
    Why an Xbox One S discless o_0 Should be an One X discless. I reckon the discless consoles are more geared towards people who use Games for gold and or Games Pass. Good idea for people who don't want to buy physical copies.

18. Post
    Isn't it to late though? It's basically end of life at this point.

19. Post
    Testing the market with a cheap console to produce. An Xbox1X without a disc drive still going to costs money, I might as well buy an XB1S.. Its also for say the "Dad" / me with superior PC to have the better version & have a cheapo for the kids / flat mates etc.. Also current gen console still haven't hit that sweet spot of $250 USD & under. PS4 will continue to sell well after PS5 is released. It just really needs a price cut, still pretty costly. PS2 kept on selling when it was so cheap at retail for $99 NZD.

MS is doing really poorly this gen, they need a cheaper version even more than Sony. Which is why say ChrisB sells so many Xbox's over PS it is a cheaper console now since they ditched the Kinect.

20. Post
    The main issue, as Mountain Slayr pointed out, is regional pricing for foreign markets. If that remains to be easily subverted (which I think it can quite easily on the X1 atm?) then it should be quite a popular option. If MS starts to crackdown on region swapping workarounds though, it'll be yet another thing to add to the list that'll only gain traction in the USA.

For the sake of argument, what would be the point of a console that's say, $50-$80NZD cheaper or something like that if games are on average, $20 more expensive per game? Yeah there's Game Pass but you'd have to be pretty confident that you're not gonna buy a game that isn't on Game Pass.

21. Post
    The box art for the xbox one s all-digital has leaked.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...l-release-date

22. Post
    Looks a bit sketch to me. Advertising horizon 3?

23. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Looks a bit sketch to me. Advertising horizon 3?
    This might explain it?

Editor's note: To protect the origins of these images, we've recreated the box art in Photoshop. Note the disc-less symbol at the bottom.

24. Post
    All digital surely they could have made it smaller?

25. Post
    I question either organization will discharge a conventional cutting edge, they'll simply do steady updates, much the same as each buyer gadget.Dafont 192.168.l.l FileHippo
    Last edited by lilo1000; Yesterday at 7:48 am.