Next Xbox codenamed "Scarlet"

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

1. Post
    Sounds quite similar. Both are ryzen 2 based, both have an SSD / optane drive, both have Ray tracing, diff will be how custom they make their chips and I guess cooling and clock speed

2. Post
    It's cool AMD is getting the attention it needs again, Intel held the high ground for too long and things started stagnating.

Also those game/demo clips in that reveal video looked terrible for something they were hyping a ton.

3. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Remember mainstream people can barely afford $500 for a new console.
    The same people who spend $1000+ on the latest flagship model phones. Sure bro.

4. Post
    I'm pretty sure "mainstream people" are kids and teens in the US, which is their biggest market, not adults. Hell even in Mexico I saw no one over the age of 20 playing Xbox, it's all kids and teens below that and xbox is massive there compared to PS and PC.

The majority of kids and teens aren't rocking the latest phones unless they're from wealthier or stupid families.

5. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    The same people who spend $1000+ on the latest flagship model phones. Sure bro.
    As I said earlier most people who do get $1000 phones get them on plans, and when the new one comes out roll them over. I work in a game shop I understand the audience pretty well to be fair

6. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I'm pretty sure "mainstream people" are kids and teens in the US, which is their biggest market, not adults. Hell even in Mexico I saw no one over the age of 20 playing Xbox, it's all kids and teens below that and xbox is massive there compared to PS and PC.
    How do those kids afford clothes and food?

Oh yeah, those adults that live with them and earn all the money.

7. Post
    Isn't the average gamer like 32ish?

It's a hobby with a distinctly aging population: which is cool I reckon..more mature games to mix with the lighter family orientated stuff.

Best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Post
    According to gamefaqs as of a year ago "Gamers age 18 or older represent 72 percent of the video game-playing population, and the average gamer is 35 years old."

And it was 37 (in the US at least) a few years ago.

9. Post
    ludez wrote:
    As I said earlier most people who do get $1000 phones get them on plans, and when the new one comes out roll them over. I work in a game shop I understand the audience pretty well to be fair
    Have you brought a $1000 phone lately?

Not much discount unless you are going onto a massive plan

10. Post
    Pennywiser NZ wrote:
    Have you brought a $1000 phone lately?

Not much discount unless you are going onto a massive plan
    Nope I never spend much on phones. My manager worked and managed at noel leeming and has managed eb for over 10 years so gave me a big insight into the modern way of purchasing phones and the trend of console buyer etc

11. Post
    Shame this deal probably won't make its way to NZ.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/28/...t-upgrade-deal

12. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Shame this deal probably won't make its way to NZ.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/28/...t-upgrade-deal
    Yeah I dunno how likely that will be, it requires a credit facility for the seller since you've basically becoming a lender for the term.

But I do think its 1) an awesome idea and 2) surprised it took this long.

Mobile phones have been doing this for ages - pay like $100/month and every year you get the newest phone + mothly phone plan.

So a plan that gives you the latest console, online subscription, gamepass/streaming etc in one monthly fee sounds fantastic.
    I suspect the reason Microsoft announced this is because Google Stadia is about to launch - and this is definitely to counter Stadia

13. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Yeah I dunno how likely that will be, it requires a credit facility for the seller since you've basically becoming a lender for the term.

But I do think its 1) an awesome idea and 2) surprised it took this long.

Mobile phones have been doing this for ages - pay like $100/month and every year you get the newest phone + mothly phone plan.

So a plan that gives you the latest console, online subscription, gamepass/streaming etc in one monthly fee sounds fantastic.
    I suspect the reason Microsoft announced this is because Google Stadia is about to launch - and this is definitely to counter Stadia
    Its been around for a few years already......

14. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Its been around for a few years already......
    It's literally in the headline of the article he's commenting on smh

15. Post
    It sorta sounds like those Afterpay schemes but instead it's Microsoft's version.

16. Post
    That deal is insane, and there's no hidden fees or admin fees or anything? That's nuts. The closest I've seen to it in NZ was an ISP was offering a PS Pro when you signed up with them for 24 months, but when you saw the cost of the same plan without the PS Pro bundled into it it worked out that the $700 PS Pro was costing you $1200 over 24 months. To pay something off over 24 months and only end up paying retail or less, that's unheard of, I guess MS are taking a hit on the bundled Gamepass to offset costs?

It seems like a win win for everyone though, give consumers the opportunity to purchase something that may otherwise be out of their budget which in turn brings in more customers for the online marketplaces where Sony and MS make a bulk of their money. I wouldn't be surprised to see it offered in NZ soon.

17. Post
    Interesting tweet from Tom Warren over @ The Verge. Talking about Scarlet devkits.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status...939326459904?r

hardly anyone has them, and they’re nowhere near final. That’s why you’re hearing a lot of nonsense about them not being powerful etc. Microsoft wants to surprise Sony this time
    Jason Schreier has since chimed in saying he's heard Microsoft maybe slightly behind schedule.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/tom...#post-26945547
    Last edited by Valeyard; 2nd December 2019 at 9:41 am.

18. Post
    "Surprise Sony" thing sounds like crap. And if it's true that devs don't have any kits that means no one is making next gen games for Xbox, while with Sony we know game development is well under way.

It's more likely they are behind schedule compared to Sony and if they don't catch up then the PS5 will launch first.

The amount of leaks and patents we've seen from the ps5 far exceeds anything about Scarlett- the PS5 is ahead in terms of its launch cycle

19. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    "Surprise Sony" thing sounds like crap. And if it's true that devs don't have any kits that means no one is making next gen games for Xbox, while with Sony we know game development is well under way.

It's more likely they are behind schedule compared to Sony and if they don't catch up then the PS5 will launch first.

The amount of leaks and patents we've seen from the ps5 far exceeds anything about Scarlett- the PS5 is ahead in terms of its launch cycle
    Microsoft wanting to keep the specs under lock and key away from developers just to surprise Sony sounds like such a Microsoft thing to do. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was true lol. It's like they didnt learn from the xbox one launch.

20. Post
    Microsoft is going to come out swinging this Gen. I'm picking it's going to be like 360/ps3

21. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Microsoft is going to come out swinging this Gen. I'm picking it's going to be like 360/ps3

22. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    They at least seem to be taking it seriously this time around. Look at the amount of studios they bought

23. Post
    ludez wrote:
    They at least seem to be taking it seriously this time around. Look at the amount of studios they bought
    Not sure how MS winning next gen is your takeaway from them being behind schedule lol. Seems awfully optimistic. In the first few years of ps5 Sony will have horizon 2, God of war 2 and spiderman 2 while ms will have what? halo infinite and forza 8? Yawn. I'll take Sonys lineup anyday over ms exclusives.

24. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Not sure how MS winning next gen is your takeaway from them being behind schedule lol. Seems awfully optimistic. In the first few years of ps5 Sony will have horizon 2, God of war 2 and spiderman 2 while ms will have what? halo infinite and forza 8? Yawn. I'll take Sonys lineup anyday over ms exclusives.
    How do you know what Ms will have? They are being cautious this time round and rightly so

25. Post
    ludez wrote:
    How do you know what Ms will have? They are being cautious this time round and rightly so
    True they're making some good moves but no way will they be on equal footing with PS like they were last gen. PS will still dominate worldwide. US is the only region they may have a chance of catching up a bit if they can actually bring out some decent exclusives.