Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    You cynical old ****, what exactly has Todd lied about? Not touching you?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoo..._tell_me_lies/

2. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    sounds like you are just keen for a sook

what do you consider fallout tactics and bos?
    Every Fallout game has been a primarily single player game as opposed to MP-focused, which is different than going from FO2 to FO3, which was just a different type of SP game. People like Fallout for the SP experience, not because they want 'Yet Another Survival MP Game'.

3. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Every Fallout game has been a primarily single player game as opposed to MP-focused, which is different than going from FO2 to FO3, which was just a different type of SP game. People like Fallout for the SP experience, not because they want 'Yet Another Survival MP Game'.
    Some people like fallout for the SP experience, not all. Plenty of people are keen to give the world a punt in multiplayer and see what happens. Nothing has been destroyed you can still go back and play any of the other games if you wish. You'll also note that the game is primarily driven and will be supported after launch by the austin studio not maryland.

4. Post
    Lol I remember watching the hype videos over Radiant AI.

5. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Some people like fallout for the SP experience, not all. Plenty of people are keen to give the world a punt in multiplayer and see what happens. Nothing has been destroyed you can still go back and play any of the other games if you wish. You'll also note that the game is primarily driven and will be supported after launch by the austin studio not maryland.
    I think it's fair to say everyone that likes Fallout, likes it for the single player content. Seeing as that was core to the Fallout experience. The MP side is a literal unknown for Bethesda. It may be a huge hit, it may not.
    There are a few arguments being merged into a single one here, and it's making things messy imo.

The Fallout single-player experience is not being destroyed by this game. That's a given. The other games still exist, and more may come in the future. The issue is to when that may happen. BGS currently has a single main dev team, and some ancillary teams who provide either pre-production or post-release design/support/content. What this means is that a single-player Fallout title is a likely opportunity cost of this project. We already know the next two projects, which means Fallout at earliest will be the next after that. Likely at least six years away, likely more. While not the same as removing the SP games completely it does demonstrate a sizeable delay between games. There is also the risk that Fallout does become a MP franchise if 76 does really well. Because games as a service are more profitable. No one can say if that will happen, but it might. The support argument, and the "there will be more Fallout games" argument are problematic as the resources to make another game are limited and already earmarked for other projects.

While I have had little to no interest in this game genre up until this point, I am a 21 year veteran of the franchise (purchased my copy of Fallout for my birthday in 1997) so it's very hard not to feel affected by this. So I've been a Fallout fan for half of my life. It may seem very melodramatic to you (and others) but this series is important to me. There is a sense of ownership being a fan for this long. And being left behind to appeal to a completely new audience feels bad man.

That being said. I have no issue with this type of game. Gamers are a diverse group with diverse tastes. That Bethesda want to expand in this area is not only understandable its probably needed. The issue I have is in how it's being done.
    This doesn't "feel" very Fallout to me. Then again each of Beth's Fallout games has been demonstrably less Fallout than the previous "core" entry. So maybe I should not be surprised.

This game might be great. It may do what it does brilliantly. It's also not the point as far as I am concerned. I want a core Fallout game. One way or another 76 is the reason there is none is sight. Not now, and for god knows how long.

I do not begrudge Bethesda doing what they want wit a property they own. I however do not have to like it. Brian Fargo caused this whole thing years ago with his own incompetence.

I honestly hope this game is not only amazing, but also a massive hit. More happy gamers is a good thing. I just wish I was one of those happy gamers.
    ______

I am going to try and wrangle a code from Bethesda (beta and full release). As I am interested in what the game is trying to do. Who knows it may even convert me.
    Right now it's not what I want, and if I could choose I would want a SP game every time. Rich, choice driven narrative is what Fallout was. That's what I want it to be. This game is not that. Funnily enough if it was being made by Zenimax Studios (or any other) I probably wouldn't care anywhere near as much. Not saying I would be happy about it, but that extra level of separation would help.

It may be that by the end of the year I am shouting the praises of 76. I hope I am. But nevertheless I will still lament the lack of a story driven single-player experience. I am the opposite of that annoying twat who constantly demands MP or Co-op in game X. Opposite in that I want something completely different, not that I am any less annoying about it.

______

Todd Howard is full of shit, but he's hyping a game so overflowing faeces is to be expected. So many claims he's made have been outright lies. Where is my PC designed UI Todd?!?!

6. Post
    You are wrong about how BGS only has one main team etc. There is info out there on how it is being run and where the resourcing has come for this.

I think it's either going to be fun as **** or a dumpster fire. Neither of which effects anyone's ability to play the previous games (or fixes the mess I think fallout 4 ended up being in a lot of areas)

Toddo mate has said plenty of bs over the years and bethesda has made lots of **** ups (the paid mods fiasco stands out) but the screetching about ruined franchises belongs with the sooking about wamens in bfv and the ruining of that.

7. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Respond by being a cock
    If you're going to be a knob, you can gtfo. If you can't address people's legitimate concerns without being a dick about it you're just adding to the bullshit level.

I am not wrong about the BGS team. Considering I know 2 people that work there in that team. just as I know people in Ubisoft, Hothead, and BioWare. NZ game devs are a small bunch and we keep in touch when folk move to new companies overseas.

8. Post
    The Fallout single-player experience is not being destroyed by this game. That's a given. The other games still exist, and more may come in the future
    True, I guess my phrasing should've been more 'thrown out the window' rather than 'destroys' since I meant it more about FO76 specifically rather than the whole series.

9. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    If you're going to be a knob, you can gtfo. If you can't address people's legitimate concerns without being a dick about it you're just adding to the bullshit level.

I am not wrong about the BGS team. Considering I know 2 people that work there in that team. just as I know people in Ubisoft, Hothead, and BioWare. NZ game devs are a small bunch and we keep in touch when folk move to new companies overseas.
    So is the austin studio and the maryland studio considered one large team? Everything has pointed to maryland washing their hands of it at launch and it being managed by austin from there on out (there was a line of dialogue in the making of talking about that) and maryland going onto/rejoining the starfield and then eldar scrolls 6. austin has had no real involvement with any of the others games so do you think without fallout 76 that another fallout game would have been first given there hasnt been another eldar scrolls?

10. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    So is the austin studio and the maryland studio considered one large team? Everything has pointed to maryland washing their hands of it at launch and it being managed by austin from there on out (there was a line of dialogue in the making of talking about that) and maryland going onto/rejoining the starfield and then eldar scrolls 6. austin has had no real involvement with any of the others games so do you think without fallout 76 that another fallout game would have been first given there hasnt been another eldar scrolls?
    'The tent pole games are all made by the same core team. 76 has additional teams helping/adding their expertise. But TES, Fallout, and Starfield are all made by the same team (give or take). That is why the games are spaced out as far as they are. This isn't Ubisoft that has multiple teams working on a franchise.
    The core BGS team makes their games from beginning to end. It's not as common as it once was, but Bethesda Game Studio has always worked this way. And it's been successful for them.
    Post-release support is irrelevant. The team have been making this game for years. Which is why there has been no other release since Fallout 4. Starfield will be next.... who knows when. Most likely the Pre-production, concept, and art teams have been full swing as soon as 76 went into full production, with other devs joining in as their core responsibilities in 76 were fulfilled.
    There is overlap within the studdio, and bandwidth to have multiple projects in some form of production, but only enough to fully develop a single title at time. Shit is expensive not just in terms of money but also time.

11. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    'The tent pole games are all made by the same core team. 76 has additional teams helping/adding their expertise. But TES, Fallout, and Starfield are all made by the same team (give or take). That is why the games are spaced out as far as they are. This isn't Ubisoft that has multiple teams working on a franchise.
    The core BGS team makes their games from beginning to end. It's not as common as it once was, but Bethesda Game Studio has always worked this way. And it's been successful for them.
    Post-release support is irrelevant. The team have been making this game for years. Which is why there has been no other release since Fallout 4. Starfield will be next.... who knows when. Most likely the Pre-production, concept, and art teams have been full swing as soon as 76 went into full production, with other devs joining in as their core responsibilities in 76 were fulfilled.
    There is overlap within the studdio, and bandwidth to have multiple projects in some form of production, but only enough to fully develop a single title at time. Shit is expensive not just in terms of money but also time.
    So when Todd in I believe the behind the scenes video (and probably at least a few interviews since) talked about being able to do multiple projects simultaneously now because they were larger that was an over statement?

12. Post
    Working on does not mean in active production. Game development has multiple stages. And dev teams are made up of smaller teams. All the way from concept to post-release. Not all are done at the same time.
    There will be multiple projects being worked on. They announced both Starfield and TES6. Only one will be in full production right now. 76 is in QA/Beta. Most of the code is done, the design is basically done. Its all balancing, tweaking, and testing now. So core dev members are working on their next project Starfield. This is the main dev team. Programmers, scripters, writers, level/encounter/quest designers, animators, etc. The concept and design teams are likely already deep into TES6. Likely there are writers neck deep in there as well.

It is not all or nothing.

What exactly are you trying to say? That 76 didn't impact the time it will take for another Fallout game, or that it did not impact the release date for Starfield?
    Last edited by ChrisB; Today at 8:48 pm. Reason: was being a bit of a dick myself.