1. Post

What is Twitch Prime?

Ok i have asked this in games because it seemed appropriate

Please explain this to me like i am a 2 year old

What exactly is Twitch, I just don't get it, as far as i can tell it seems to be an app so that you can watch other people play games, which doesn't really appeal

I have a prime video account, does this mean twitch prime is also included or not

2. Post
    They give you genuinely free PC games every month; free swag for service-based online games like Fortnite, Warframe, etc; and a free sub to a Twitch streamer of your choice. You get to keep those free games if you choose to cancel the premium sub, unlike similar services on consoles (Xbox Games with Gold, PSN+, etc) which are glorified rentals. The caveat is that these games require the Twitch client software, they don't give you Steam keys.

The Twitch streamer sub can give you special perks when watching said streamer like exclusive chat emojis. A Streamlabs alert might be broadcast over the stream and then the streamer might say hello and thank you for supporting them.

If you have a Prime sub of any kind (inc. Prime Video) then you have access to all perks across Amazon's suite of services like Video, Kindle, Twitch, etc.

3. Post
    ^thread

(also I think it's worth it personally if you even are remotely interested in viewing Twitch streams. The free games and the Amazon perks are just handy bonuses)

4. Post
    It offers shit tons of value as a gamer

5. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    ^thread

(also I think it's worth it personally if you even are remotely interested in viewing Twitch streams. The free games and the Amazon perks are just handy bonuses)
    youre saying some streams are pay to view?

6. Post
    Not pay to view. Though some have subscriber only chat enabled.

It's all free to view. Most streamers also do things for subs only. Like giveaways, naming game characters, shoutouts, prizes, etc.

Twitch isn't just watching someone else play games. Communities develop. People talk about games, achievements, help and advice, they give advice.

Generally to get the best out of a Twitch experience you don't want to go and watch the biggest names. Sure, they may be popular, but YOU aren't going to get much out of it. I watch a bunch of streamers that play games I like so that I can get a feel for a game before I buy it. I got Rimworld, Slay the Spire, Stellaris, FTL, Darkest Dungeon and They Are Billions after watching a few streamers playing the games.

I also managed to avoid buy games that I would have been bored by but looking interesting before I saw it played a few times. Dodged quite a few bullets that way.

It gave me the opportunity to ask questions (because I picked streamers that had around 100 viewers - good rule of thumb is finding a streamer with between 50 and 500 viewers since they still have few enough active chatters that you can get your questions answered by the streamer) and see the games at various stages of being played.

I've since subbed to 3 of them because I like the communities, the streamer's vibe and the games they play. I've been able to better my own games by watching them play and asking questions.

If you like the steamer, it's kind of like being in the same room as a friend who is also playing the same game.

I just can't seem to be able to get Twitch Prime going. I have an Amazon account with a month free Amazon Prime... but it won't connect the two. ****ing annoying. If I could get it to work, I'd happily pay the monthly fee just for Twitch Prime.

7. Post
    Yeah that's a great description Nerin. The community, and "try before you play" aspect of it is great, it's terrific for watching people play your own favourite games, and definitely prioritising the smaller 50-500 viewers-sized channels mean you can really engage with the streamer and other viewers. Shame you can't get Prime working

8. Post
    Twitch is actually a lot more than 'just watching people play video games' for example there was/is this stream of some southern guy going fishing and doing other outdoors stuff.

I mostly use it for esports but follow a few famous players and some of the big names who put on an entertaining show. I'm not really wanting to chat or join a community but that's what so great about Twitch, it has so many different options available.

9. Post
    I've been watching old Dr Who episodes on Twitch Presents and the chat is hilarious. It's like a live MST3K episode.

10. Post
    I don't watch streamers regularly but I've used twitch to watch people play games I'm interested in to get a feel of the gameplay. They weren't hugely popular streams (10 to 30 viewers) but I saw how the streamers interacted with their viewers. I can see the appeal - I really miss my days of flatting and hanging around in the lounge with your mates playing games, watching games and discussing them. This is like doing that.
    Last edited by Caffeine; 12th July 2018 at 2:19 pm.

11. Post
    Twitch is brilliant! You can find almost anything you want on there, and if you want you can talk to people about the thing you're watching. It can be a rabbit-hole of geekdom which is fantastic imo.

At its most basic it's not all that different from watching sports on TV. But that is barely scratching the surface. Come for the coverage stay for the conversation and personalities.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 12th July 2018 at 2:16 pm.

12. Post
    I have a Twitch Prime account apparently. Never even used it. Perhaps looked at Twitch once.

Perhaps I'll take a look.

13. Post
    Cheers all, i have hooked it up to my Prime Video account and have claimed a few games, so i guess i will check it out in the next few days, might encourage me to get into a few games i have sitiing in m steam account tha are gathering dust

14. Post
    Nerin wrote:

I just can't seem to be able to get Twitch Prime going. I have an Amazon account with a month free Amazon Prime... but it won't connect the two. ****ing annoying. If I could get it to work, I'd happily pay the monthly fee just for Twitch Prime.
    Contact customer support, they'll sort you out.

15. Post
    I don't have twitch prime to be honest but can someone briefly explain if it would be worth to get a subscription ? I do use twitch sometimes.

16. Post
    haanuman wrote:
    I don't have twitch prime to be honest but can someone briefly explain if it would be worth to get a subscription ? I do use twitch sometimes.
    Read the previously replies to the thread. You'd have to do your own personal cost to benefit analysis because everyone's interests and priorities are different.

17. Post
    twitch prime is pretty good

18. Post
    Twitch Prime comes with Amazon Prime Video sub too, best combo ever for the $$ truly, unbeatable.