1. Post

Server Host/Provider recommendations

Hey Guys.

Im looking for a NZ based server host/provider. Im looking at getting a NZ based low/mid spec VPS (for work use), from a reputable provider. Preferably a provider who provides some sort of semi managed service that doesnt cost an arm and a leg (you know, do the basic maintenance and security patches etc).

Main reason for posting here is, if i google, i get a lot of hits. But besides the things they them selves claim, i dont really have a good way to measure reputation. So im hoping that some people here might throw me some recommendations or atleast some idea of who to stay away from.

Currently, im looking at VPS City as they have some decent pricing for the semi managed options.

TY in advance for any input

2. Post
    what's wrong with AWS - do you like throwing money away?

3. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    what's wrong with AWS - do you like throwing money away?
    It's for work, and they arnt ready for aws, and they need some hand holding.

Also, aws doesn't have nz data centre right?

Anyway, looking for a nz host for the time being

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Post
    Am using Cloudways with Vultr, would recommend if you need a semi-managed VPS.

5. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Am using Cloudways with Vultr, would recommend if you need a semi-managed VPS.
    Sounds like a good option, I would use this, but in this scenario, need it to be nz based. I guess none of them have nz data centre options right?

6. Post
    neon_zero wrote:
    Sounds like a good option, I would use this, but in this scenario, need it to be nz based. I guess none of them have nz data centre options right?

Why does it have to be NZ based? If you're worried about latency, I ping 30ms to the server (it's Sydney-based) + the cache that's been set up (Varnish, I think it's called?) means it's actually faster than quite a few NZ hosts.

7. Post
    Sitehost is good.

They have both VPS:
    https://sitehost.nz/hosting/virtual-private-servers

and docker containers:
    https://sitehost.nz/hosting/cloud-containers

I don't think the VPS's are managed at all (unless paying an extra monthly fee) but the cloud containers are semi-managed.

8. Post
    why does it need to be NZ based? even our government agencies have stuff in AWS/Azure

9. Post
    Having used NZ/AUS/US based dedicated servers, in my experience NZ based has always been a lot better as far as loading times and reliability go. Have used Umbrellar, Sitehost and Net24 and found Net24 to be the best. Umbrellar was terrible and I would recommend avoiding.

10. Post
    If its so important that you have it 'local' why not just buy a server and have it om premises? The whole point of cloud based shiz is that it doesn't matter where it is. NZ providers are 3rd rate, at premium prices. Thats why theres basically no recommendations

11. Post
    Try ransomit they offer dedis as well as managed vps