1. Post

New Black Caps Coach Watch Thread

Resume deadline is this Sunday - perhaps they will release the list after that.

Front runners at this stage according to ONE Network NEWS are:

1) Shane Bond
    2) Gary Stead - Canterbury Coach
    3) Heinrich Malan

Of those Shane has mixed odds. The players may put in a plug for him, but the top brass have specifically said they want a like for like replacement for Hesson which means a First Class cricket coach ie Stead or Malan.

There is a lot of water to flow under this bridge and we are just at the beginning of the race. Will the role be split into two? In which case the likes of Vettori and Fleming enter the mix. Exactly how much do they weight the views of the players vs those NZ cricket. e.g. the players are likely to fancy someone who has played internationally while David White has overtly stated he wants Hesson Mach II.

Watch this space.

My personal favourite is Shane Bond - I have read his book and he comes across as smart. Smarter even then Stephen Fleming. Bond attributes his wicket taking success not to his pace, but instead to watching hours of opposition batsman until he found a weakness.
    That sounds exactly what we want in a coach.

I am not going to get emotionally invested in it as whoever we get I am sure will be somewhat decent and not a boob.

Both Canterbury and CD have been well managed associations. CD in particular has been forward thinking with the promotion of youth (at the expense of a contract for Jesse Ryder this season).

Here is a bit on Stead and Malan in case they are new to you.
    They are certainly new to me.

Stead:
    Stead shapes as an early favourite given his success at Canterbury since 2012, guiding them to three Plunket Shields in four seasons and a one-day title. He also gained experience in the Black Caps coaching environment during the Pakistan test series and Bangladesh ODIs and Twenty20s in the 2016-17 home summer (I understand as a batting coach).

Stead also coached the White Ferns women between 2008-12, steering them to the final of the 2009 World Cup, where they lost to England by four wickets. He played five tests for New Zealand as an opener in 1999 against South Africa, India and the West Indies, scoring 278 runs at 34.75 with a highest score of 78.

Malan:
    The South African-born mentor, who has been at the helm of the Stags for five summers, is a prime candidate to assume the mantle of New Zealand men's coach after helping establish a culture and structure at CD to groom predominantly homegrown talent from the major association catchment area.

Last September he toured with the New Zealand A men as an assistant to Shane Bond for two four-day games and five one-dayers.

Malan wasn't much chop as a player and only played 10 FC games in Safferland averaging just 22 with the bat. He didn't bowl.

Other Dark Horses include Grant Bradburn who is keeping his cards close to his chest.

2. Post
    As much as I want it to be Bond, I can't see him giving up what he has now - probably more $$ and time with family. The others don't really excite me.

3. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    As much as I want it to be Bond, I can't see him giving up what he has now - probably more $$ and time with family. The others don't really excite me.
    Who does he currently coach? "What does he have now".

4. Post
    Sydney Thunder head coach, Mumbai Indians bowling coach and on the ECB payroll as a bowling consultant.

E.g. Jobs where he doesn't need to spend significant periods of time away from his family (or where he can take his family with him) and he can rake in the $$.

Basically the Thunder and Indians jobs are for like 3-4 months a year with most of it being in NZ or Aus where he is still close to family.

5. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Had anyone heard of Hesson when he started? Very few I guess.

I don't think Bond will get it, but I wouldn't be against us having a separate T20 coach.

6. Post
    voy1dnz wrote:
    Sydney Thunder head coach, Mumbai Indians bowling coach and on the ECB payroll as a bowling consultant.

E.g. Jobs where he doesn't need to spend significant periods of time away from his family (or where he can take his family with him) and he can rake in the $$.

Basically the Thunder and Indians jobs are for like 3-4 months a year with most of it being in NZ or Aus where he is still close to family.
    Thanks very much.

@N

Yes I agree Bond may not get it which is why I won't root for him or get my hopes up. I do think he would be a good coach though.

If it has to go to someone else then I would go with Bradburn. Malan seems to be given a lot of credit for favouring youth in his selection policies yet CD were not an amazing team and you could argue Auckland did more for growing talent than he did.

Stead, has the word mediocrity written all over him. Why didn't the ladies win the world cup when he was in charge. Those girls always seem to be in the wrong head space in the final of a major tournament and that feels like a coaching issue.

That said I feel for NZC. They have tried big name coaches before and they always came a cropper. Hesson was a no name who had the best longevity of any coach. Of course they want another Hesson.

I personally think Hesson was a capable pair of hands who came along when New Zealand were at a very strong ebb in terms of talent.

At least Vettori and Fleming don't seem to the be in the picture for the main job. I think both of them require much more experience from a coaching perspective and quite honestly from a life experience perspective. Fleming in particular sounds very young and immature in his auto biography. I have also heard that Vettori has been struggling with his IPL team to maintain team cohesion.

As mentioned tomorrow is the deadline for the resumes. I hope they leak who has applied.

7. Post
    I'd also go with Bradburn, also given he has worked with most of the NZ team before (a lot are from ND). He probably has a good relationship already with them.

8. Post
    I would like NZC to take a run for Gillespie. He has done wonderful teams which are traditionally considered underpowered and similar to NZ in that regard.

9. Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12089121

O'Donnell from Auckland is in the race too. Edgar is out. But no mention of Bond in this article.

10. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Had anyone heard of Hesson when he started? Very few I guess.

I don't think Bond will get it, but I wouldn't be against us having a separate T20 coach.
    I'm from down South, so can't give you an unbiased answer. I feel like he had a pretty good reputation though