1. Post

THQ Nordic Acquires TimeSplitters Franchise

http://news.cision.com/thq-nordic-ab...tters,c2592484

THQ Nordic today announced the acquisition of the video game trilogy Timesplitters.

Timesplitters was largely considered as one of the most influential console games of the early 2000’s. The three game series earned a large and passionate fan base thanks to its unique humour, art style and pop culture references while encouraging customization and modification to give each person their own individual experience. Timesplitters was originally created by the development studio Free Radical Design that later become Deep Silver Dambuster, part of the THQ Nordic group.
    Koch Media is a publisher owned by THQ Nordic. Following Free Radical Design going bankrupt in 2008, they were bought up by Crytek and renamed Crytek UK. Crytek UK was also doing quite poorly as of 2014 and all of the staff were transferred to create a new developer Dambuster Studios, owned by Koch Media and thus THQ Nordic.

It doesn't seem a huge stretch that THQ Nordic may enlist Dambuster to develop a new title in the TimeSplitters IP.

Too early to count chickens, but this could be excellent news.
    Last edited by Xev; 15th August 2018 at 9:21 pm.

2. Post
    Keen.

3. Post
    Xev wrote:
    THQ Nordic is a publisher owned by Koch Media.
    Other way around.

Do a HD remaster of trilogy for modern consoles and PC, that'd be great. They could probably get them emulated on Xb1 + PS4 relatively quick to bridge gap until the remasters are out.

4. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Other way around.

Do a HD remaster of trilogy for modern consoles and PC, that'd be great. They could probably get them emulated on Xb1 + PS4 relatively quick.
    Right you are. I'll do an edit.

I'd love an HD Remaster. Hell, I'd love a full on remake of the trilogy if they handled it right, although I doubt they consider TS financially viable enough to do that. Not sure how I feel about TimeSplitters being on PC though. TimeSplitters was always best on the couch, with a mate or 3 playing splitscreen co-op with controllers. And while all of that is possible on PC, there will no doubt be a ton of solo players using M/KB which would kinda defeat the purpose to a point. I'd support a PC version regardless but would certainly have some mixed feelings about it.

5. Post
    A remake might be viable if remasters are successful. Remember that THQ Nordic are doing a Darksiders sequel. They're the equivalent to well, the original THQ - a middle-market publisher which thrived during the PS2 era. Timesplitters was a middle-market franchise.

Xev wrote:
    Not sure how I feel about TimeSplitters being on PC though.
    Then buy a console version and leave the PC version on the table.

I'm sick of petty, childish gatekeepers who want to deny ports because they don't want to share their toys. Games should be on many platforms as possible, as long as they're workable on the platform without compromise to game playability and design scope (eg a game Civilization needing to be dumbed down because of the gamepad being a limited device. Most core gamer being adapted for smart device touchscreen controls.).

TimeSplitters was always best on the couch, with a mate or 3 playing splitscreen co-op with controllers. And while all of that is possible on PC, there will no doubt be a ton of solo players using M/KB which would kinda defeat the purpose to a point. I'd support a PC version regardless but would certainly have some mixed feelings about it.
    The irony is that PC has more games with support for local co-op than current gen consoles.

6. Post
    Oh please. No need to get so worked up. PC is my main platform. My consoles are better for little more than catching dust. And anytime these days that I fire up TimeSplitters, it's on PC in Dolphin. It's simply that future perfect came out 13 years ago. The games are a product of their time with a huge emphasis on local co-op which is something that'd certainly be present in a remaster. But a lot of the time when they release games with couch co-op on PC, it's pruned, or even if it isn't, it isn't utilized by players particularly those using traditional mouse and keyboard configurations. If an all new audience was introduced to this franchise without it having splitscreen co-op or otherwise not being in a situation to take advantage of it if present, they'll be missing out on a huge part of what makes TimeSplitters so great.

Like I said. That's how I feel. I'd still support a PC version and if there is one, it's the one I would buy assuming local co-op was included. It isn't a case of being a "petty, childish gatekeeper" or anything stupid like that.

7. Post
    I would love another playthrough of 2 and 3 with a keyboard and mouse.. used to struggle with the arcade challenges in that goofy ass xbox controller

8. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I would love another playthrough of 2 and 3 with a keyboard and mouse.. used to struggle with the arcade challenges in that goofy ass xbox controller
    I was very proud of my 100% completion in 3. Was a controlling throwing nightmare at times.

9. Post
    You have superior patience to me. I think I got like 95% on TS2 and a fond memory was throwing cardboard boxes at people's heads in 1 hit kill mode?

10. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    You have superior patience to me. I think I got like 95% on TS2 and a fond memory was throwing cardboard boxes at people's heads in 1 hit kill mode?
    Ah, the satisfying crunch of beheading a zombie with a well thrown physics object or baseball bat.

11. Post
    Sort of an update, a bunch of news sites (Including Rock Paper Shotgun, to name one) are quoting Koch Media in saying that Deep Silver will be publishing a new game in the series. (Source: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...m-deep-silver/)

Get hype.

12. Post
    sweet I hope it has jetpacks and nazi zombies

for real though I hope it's its own game and not corruoted by the shitty COD generation

13. Post
    I wonder which developer will be making it.

14. Post
    You can add alone in the dark and act of war to the ever growing list of IP acquired by THQNordic

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status...50852542328840
    Last edited by Valeyard; 20th September 2018 at 12:25 pm.

15. Post
    Isn't this a company that purchased the THQ name and not the original THQ? They seem to be fond of buying anything not nailed down.

16. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    Isn't this a company that purchased the THQ name and not the original THQ?
    Yes.

They seem to be fond of buying anything not nailed down.
    They do remasters of classics and give forgotten gems a 2nd lease on life. Great company who values their fans. They gave out free remasters of Darksiders 1, 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Titan Quest, etc to customers who already owned them on Steam.