Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

1. Post
    let's hope I pick it up when it goes on sale and can see what the fuss is about

2. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I really don't like games that force you to learn parrying. I beat Bloodborne (including Orphan of Kos) while two handing my weapon and never even wielded a sidearm. Same deal with that game Furi, it forces you to learn parries to win
    You don't REALLY need to learn to parry. If you keep on the attack, you can break the enemies posture pretty easily.

3. Post
    I disagree that you shouldn't know how to deflect/parry. You are correct in that indeed you should be pressing the attack as much as possible for posture damage but if the enemy deflects instead of blocks your attack (extremely important to understand this distinction), you should be ready to deflect their counter attack instead of continuing the assault at that point and then coming back with your own counter after you deflect. Failure to do this will result in taking damage from the enemy counter-attack which has power armor.

4. Post
    Still waiting for my copy to arrive from NZGS lol. I have a feeling I will struggle with this game. I've played through Bloodborne almost 3 times including the DLC so breaking the dodge roll attack habit will be hard. Plus I didn't think BB was extremely hard. Most of the time you just dodge roll under an enemies attack and attack from behind rinse & repeat. Even with most bosses that tactic works.
    This game looks less forgiving & looks like you need alot more precision & better timing which is something I'm not great at. In alot of the boss fights in BB I was pretty sloppy but still managed to pull off a win. The large number of blood vials helps alot too.

5. Post
    I've not played a lot but i realized what it was that kinda.. doesn't gel with me. And it's gonna sound weird, and its not the difficulty. (ok, yeah I do suck at it and im not in a good headspace for hard games right now lol)

The combat is mostly clang clang clang
    where i miss slash slash slice.
    You get nice 'fatalities' but other than that it's kinda abrasive.

I mean it's well done, it just doesn't appeal to me right now.

And I suck.

6. Post
    Bt wrote:
    I disagree that you shouldn't know how to deflect/parry. You are correct in that indeed you should be pressing the attack as much as possible for posture damage but if the enemy deflects instead of blocks your attack (extremely important to understand this distinction), you should be ready to deflect their counter attack instead of continuing the assault at that point and then coming back with your own counter after you deflect. Failure to do this will result in taking damage from the enemy counter-attack which has power armor.
    Oh yeah, totally man. I mean sure, you'll need to parry once in a while, but what I was meaning is, you don't really need to play as defensive as you've needed to like in previous From games.

7. Post
    lmao just started playing & getting owned by General Naomori Kawarada, one of the first mini bosses of the game lol. Must've died to him at least a dozen times already. Such a noob lol.

8. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    lmao just started playing & getting owned by General Naomori Kawarada, one of the first mini bosses of the game lol. Must've died to him at least a dozen times already. Such a noob lol.
    Git gud, scrub Is that the dude straight after the 3 dogs? If so, you can get a stealth backstab on him by going left and around behind him, crouch under a hole in the fence and at least take one life bar off.

9. Post
    Yea holding off getting this not sure if I'll be a fan of this kind of combat after Bloodborne as crow said slash and slice or Nioh with the pure pummeling with good combos. Really wish this had a demo to try out. Will wait for the sub $50 mark on TM, can see a flood of them coming on soon with frustrated gamers off loading.

10. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    You can Bloodborne style fight those ones: takes a while, but the ol dodge, cut, dodge works with him (not others though..which I learnt in a big way lol).

11. Post
    ^I tried fighting him BB style and kept getting wrecked lol.

Black Plague*** wrote:
    Git gud, scrub Is that the dude straight after the 3 dogs? If so, you can get a stealth backstab on him by going left and around behind him, crouch under a hole in the fence and at least take one life bar off.
    Yeah I finally beat him lol. Just had to more patient lol. Yeah hes the one after the 3 dogs. You can actually get a deathblow on him from a roof above so that helped. Also when he does his perilous blow you can actually hit him when hes winding up for it as soon as the symbol appears. Once I started timing my blocks properly it became easier.

I'm really loving this game & enjoying learning the new combat style.

12. Post
    **** the camera and lock on system in this game is ****en ass They're pretty bad in BB and the Souls games as well but its even more evident here because of the faster pace. Sick of fighting the camera and the game auto locking onto the wrong enemy. Even when auto lock is turned off in the options it does the same thing.

13. Post
    Is this because there are multiple enemies or enemies pop in from nowhere and you get pummeled hard?

This was going to be a day1 purchase 2 months back but the fighting style has definitely put me off buying this game.

14. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    Is this because there are multiple enemies or enemies pop in from nowhere and you get pummeled hard?

This was going to be a day1 purchase 2 months back but the fighting style has definitely put me off buying this game.
    Yeah quite often when theres multiple enemes on the screen the auto lock goes all over the place & can be frustrating locking onto the one you want in the heat of battle.

You're better off just playing Bloodborne if you haven't already. It's a much better game

15. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    **** the camera and lock on system in this game is ****en ass They're pretty bad in BB and the Souls games as well but its even more evident here because of the faster pace. Sick of fighting the camera and the game auto locking onto the wrong enemy. Even when auto lock is turned off in the options it does the same thing.
    How far are you in bro?

16. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    How far are you in bro?
    Just beat Lady Butterfly a few hours ago & now up to the Headless boss at Bell Demon's Temple.

17. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Just beat Lady Butterfly a few hours ago & now up to the Headless boss at Bell Demon's Temple.
    Nice, me too. Lady Butterfly was a fun fight.

18. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yeah quite often when theres multiple enemes on the screen the auto lock goes all over the place & can be frustrating locking onto the one you want in the heat of battle.

You're better off just playing Bloodborne if you haven't already. It's a much better game
    Bloodborne gone through twice now once on release and then when on ps+. Best of the FROM games by far. Have also completed Demons Soul and Dark Souls 2.
    Still have the memories of level 4-1 I think it was in Demons Souls with them rolling mother f-ing skeletons, took me days to get through, one of my gaming highlights clocking the game on ps3. Controller got wrecked, arm of the lazy boy destroyed.
    DS2 not sure why I kept playing it over a span of a year it was boring-as at points but glad I completed it in the end, had some awesome boss battles.
    Bloodborne was pure fun from start to finish. Only wish I hadn't summoned help for that vicar prick otherwise would have solo'd it.
    I know i'll play Sekiro at some point, just get the vibe it wont be fun. Still this is my type of game and not sure why I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I've caught something of the "needs to be a easy level" crowd

19. Post
    Bloodborne is simpler in mechanics, Sekiro's combat is the natural evolution of Bloodborne, like BB was to the Souls entries.

Bloodborne is enemy attack, dodge, enemy attack, dodge, enemy attack, dodge. All about timing and not really about what button to press in any given situation, 90% of the time it is dodge. Dark Souls is the same but you can replace dodge with block if you're running a heavier character. The other 10% is well timed parries if you play that way but not required.

Sekiro is enemy standard attack = deflect, enemy horizontal attack = jump, enemy thrust attack = deflect or parry, enemy vertical attack = dodge. So its about reading the situation and following the appropriate response but still includes the element of timing. My recommendation for progress is that you're always attacking and if you're not attacking, you're following the above. Never miss an opportunity to damage the enemies posture bar (or keep it from going back down) at any point and you will be golden.

Because of these gameplay design decisions the emphasis on learning enemy attack patterns and combinations is even more important in Sekiro than in the other series entries, where as soon as the enemy flinches, you just dodge. If you do that here, you are dead.

So for me while I love the other From Software catalogue titles and have hundreds of hours accumulated in each, the combat in Sekiro is far superior and involved than anything they've done before. It gets an A+ from me.

20. Post
    I prefer Bloodborne due to the simplicity of the combat. There's alot more to think about when it comes to the combat in Sekiro like is an enemy's unblockable attack a thrust or a sweep, when to deflect an attack etc.

All you need to worry about in BB is dodging & attacking with the occasional parry thrown in. Also you don't need exact timing & precision in BB like you do in Sekiro.

For someone of my age who suffers from insomnia and has pretty bad reaction time Sekiro is a lot tougher.

Combat aside the world, atmosphere, artistic design & lore in BB is far superior.

21. Post
    Just wondering what prosthetics other people are using? I'm currently using the upgraded axe, firecrackers & shuriken but have also found the spear, the fan, the fire, & the mist raven ones as well. I know fire is good for red eyed enemies but haven't really used it much it yet.

22. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Just wondering what prosthetics other people are using? I'm currently using the upgraded axe, firecrackers & shuriken but have also found the spear, the fan, the fire, & the mist raven ones as well. I know fire is good for red eyed enemies but haven't really used it much it yet.
    The poison one is handy, the name evades me right now.

23. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    The poison one is handy, the name evades me right now.
    Oh nice I think its called Sabimaru. Gotta get me that

24. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Oh nice I think its called Sabimaru. Gotta get me that
    Yeah, that's the one Was pretty tricky to find iirc.

25. Post
    That rush from defeating genichiro ashina after about 30 attempts.