Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Anyone seen whos making the screens? Im pretty sure i read somewhere samsung were doing the 5.8 and lg the bigger but id like to confirm

2. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I believe I read sometime ago that iOS12 was supposed to make every iPhone since the 6 run faster through some new optimization and they were promising a speed boost of up to 50% - hopefully this still happens

my X is still running silky smooth, I did a quick test yesterday and full loading the NZHerald front page over wifi still only take 1.5 seconds on the stock iOS11 browser
    Excellent! I wonder if you upgrade to iOS 12 early through getting a GM IPSW and iTunes

3. Post
    The new iphones wont come with a lightning headphone adapter ether.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...hones-anymore/

4. Post
    defiant wrote:
    @mmd, NZ has, for awhile, always got the iPhone on release day. So preorder 14/9 @ 7:01PM with delivery 21/9

You friend will need to lie on their arrival card by not declaring goods over $X value and hope they get through customs without having their bags scanned.

But if they do declare it, then customs might want to charge GST so you'd only be saving ~$100, or less if Hawaii has sales tax. Not really worth it.

I bought my X in Brisbane, declared it on my arrival card, customs asked what it was, and when I showed the iPhone to them (as in I was using it) they let me through without taking it further.. so YMMV.

TLDR; The US version doesn't support band 28, so don't get one from Hawaii anyway.
    But if you're buying it for personal use, surely they don't charge tax then do they?

5. Post
    They are supposed to charge GST on personal items over a certain limit, I think the limit is $400

6. Post
    kinda underwhelming, but the Sheepple will buy it anyway.

7. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    kinda underwhelming, but the Sheepple will buy it anyway.
    How is it underwhelming... it was always going to be a minor upgrade the big thing is the max

8. Post
    mmd wrote:
    But if you're buying it for personal use, surely they don't charge tax then do they?
    Doesn't matter what its for, you'll get charged GST if they feel like imposing it

Basically its the same as if you were to purchase the iPhone overseas and have it shipped back to your address, it might get stopped at customs and gst/duties etc get charged

9. Post
    Thanks guys. I honestly did not know this and now feel kinda stupid to not have.

10. Post
    Dont worry, I forgot too when I bought my phone in Brisbane and when I was filling out the arrivals card was like.. fcuk...

I decided to be honest, and they let me through without charging me anything. But I was carrying and using the phone, as opposed to having it in the box

11. Post
    mmd wrote:
    Thanks guys. I honestly did not know this and now feel kinda stupid to not have.
    There are duties as well as GST (electronics are pretty much duty free, just GST). And things like shoes can attract 10% duty, then gst on top of that, some stuff like leather attracts a bit more.

Oh... and 2nd hand goods too, don't think they get off. And in some cases customs will assess the value of goods - e.g. you buy something cheap but they think it is worth more. I've had it happen with rifle scopes and laptops, especially when it goes via NZ Post/DHL. Even if you have an invoice and proof of actual payment value.

12. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    There are duties as well as GST (electronics are pretty much duty free, just GST). And things like shoes can attract 10% duty, then gst on top of that, some stuff like leather attracts a bit more.

Oh... and 2nd hand goods too, don't think they get off. And in some cases customs will assess the value of goods - e.g. you buy something cheap but they think it is worth more. I've had it happen with rifle scopes and laptops, especially when it goes via NZ Post/DHL. Even if you have an invoice and proof of actual payment value.
    Hold on, so me buying shoes online that are like $60 could attract duty? Or is there a threshold on this?

13. Post
    mmd wrote:
    Hold on, so me buying shoes online that are like $60 could attract duty? Or is there a threshold on this?
    https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal...uty-estimator/

The threshold is the total amount of duty+gst payable, which is $60. If you only need to pay gst, the total threshold is $400 (as 400 * 0.15 = 60)

Items that also attract duty (such as shoes or alcohol) will consequently have a lower total threshold.