Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 59

  1. Post
    #1

    Fortnite addiction - Is there a point when should EPIC step in?

    So Im hoping we can have a civilized discussion on this topic. I dont normally post on these topics but it feels like fortnite addiction is becoming rather widespread and needs to be discussed.

    By now you may have read the story about the guy who head butted his mother because she tried to take the game away from him. (in case you havent https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/02/fortn...s-ps4-7904982/)

    The dude is addicted. And this isnt the first fortnite addiction story ether. I know we often say its down to bad parenting but do you think theres a point where the developer(In this case EPIC) needs to step in and assist?

    And maybe increase parental control options or something? At what point should a developer like EPIC step in and assist (if at all) with these kind of stories? I feel like there has to be responsibility from both parties

    Do you feel epic should be doing more? or are they doing enough as it is?

  2. Post
    #2
    The PS4 already has parental controls, what else can they do

  3. Post
    #3
    Just put up messages in game for people who have played for ages to take a break.

  4. Post
    #4
    This is a parenting issue; not a gaming one. If it's not Fortnite, then it would just be another game.

    All of these kids were likely addicted to Minecraft too.

  5. Post
    #5
    In my opinion kids shouldn't be playing this game. My nearly 8 year old son isn't allowed to play it, all his friends do and when I asked them do their parents know what game it is the play they said no we play it in our rooms. Its a very addictive game and kids are flocking to it, my son tells me he's watched his older friend play it as his house and he doesn't want to play it because his friend screams and cries when he loses or dies.

    What is an acceptable age for this game though?

  6. Post
    #6
    I've only ever seen snippets of the game, but what is it that is so addictive compared to other games?

    WoW (and likely many other MMOs) certainly had a lot of people well and truly hooked, although Fortnite seems to appeal to a younger demographic.

  7. Post
    #7
    DW wrote:
    I've only ever seen snippets of the game, but what is it that is so addictive compared to other games?

    WoW (and likely many other MMOs) certainly had a lot of people well and truly hooked, although Fortnite seems to appeal to a younger demographic.
    Popularity is one thing, everyone else is playing it so they feel they are missing out.

    Skins are another pull

    Gameplay is very rewarding, its all skill based and winning is everything and you just want to keep doing it over and over

    Being free is another big factor

    The game is so accessible to anyone

  8. Post
    #8
    I moved my sons pc into a common area when i thought he was playing it too much. If he tried to headbutt me he would get an arse kicking. Just like that 14 year old boy should have. So it's still down to parenting.

  9. Post
    #9
    Why would you deprive your 8yo that experience?

    My fondest gaming memories were when I was under 10. That being said, we didn't really have much online play stuff.

  10. Post
    #10
    ludez wrote:
    In my opinion kids shouldn't be playing this game. My nearly 8 year old son isn't allowed to play it, all his friends do and when I asked them do their parents know what game it is the play they said no we play it in our rooms. Its a very addictive game and kids are flocking to it, my son tells me he's watched his older friend play it as his house and he doesn't want to play it because his friend screams and cries when he loses or dies.

    What is an acceptable age for this game though?
    And there it is for me. "...we play it in our rooms", is where it breaks down. TV and computer out of the bedroom.

  11. Post
    #11
    nzbleach wrote:
    Why would you deprive your 8yo that experience?

    My fondest gaming memories were when I was under 10. That being said, we didn't really have much online play stuff.
    That's a massive difference to when we were kids though. When I was 8 I was playing Jonah lomu rugby and games of that era.

  12. Post
    #12
    scummy youtubers like jackssepticeye, lazerbeam and all the other ones is another factor. kids see them playing makes it even more popular. ''ooh look i got this legendary skin'' then kid goes mum can i have money to buy some v bucks. at the end of the day i cant see epic doing anything there making way too much money.

  13. Post
    #13
    Rules for my kids are pretty straight forward:

    No ipads or pcs etc during the week, only on the weekend.
    Not before 9am or after 7.30pm.
    No more than 2 hours at a time with a 2 hour break between

    They seem perfectly happy with that. Gives them something to look forward too over the week also.

    Still need to keep an eye on them though. My son would probably play all day if I let him. Still, i can hardly comment, when I was just a bit older than him I would play Civilization 2 all weekend.

  14. Post
    #14
    From my perspective there's a chance that he's playing with his mates, which is a level of social interaction I never experienced as a kid (nearly 40 now). So I'd say he's not just addicted to the game, he enjoys being with his friends.

    I still think that there's a lot more going on here, parenting, maybe even illness, I dunno.

    Note as well the article states "Fortnite is just the latest in a long line of games he has been addicted to, including Minecraft, Call of Duty, Destiny and Ark." so while Fortnite is the current big thing, it wasn't the beginning for this kid.

    My boy is 6 and we only allow him his own games on the weekend - during weekdays he can play Switch but if it's multiplayer I'm around and usually jump in with him (splatoon 2, minecraft) and we limit the time. No voice chat or typing. Even on weekends its in the lounge with me around.

    I'm pretty addicted to video games (ps4 / switch) which makes it harder trying to impose these limitations but it's good for both of us.

    The other hard part is, for me, it's easy as to let him play games for too long while I either play my own, do house work, or do whatever us adults are supposed to do. It's an easy baby sitter and I've been guilty of treating it as such.

    Gilby mentioned youtubers - yeah there's a lot of influence in our house there too. My son wanted me to buy him the fortnite dances even though he doesn't play the game. He even knows a whole bunch of them. When he gets together with his friends it's like watching the emotes being spammed on the starting island. At least that part is physical and lighthearted.

    One more thing - I had anger issues with games when I was under 10. I remember smashing a C64 and breaking the controller. Wow I only just remembered that..

  15. Post
    #15
    Bobs wrote:
    Rules for my kids are pretty straight forward:

    No ipads or pcs etc during the week, only on the weekend.
    Not before 9am or after 7.30pm.
    No more than 2 hours at a time with a 2 hour break between

    They seem perfectly happy with that. Gives them something to look forward too over the week also.

    Still need to keep an eye on them though. My son would probably play all day if I let him. Still, i can hardly comment, when I was just a bit older than him I would play Civilization 2 all weekend.
    thats amazing ive been trying to get my 10 year old into a similar routine. but i allways some how end up giving in.

  16. Post
    #16
    I have the opposite problem these days. I can barely play 2 hours without getting bored no matter how good the game is.

  17. Post
    #17
    a close friend of mine his son spent $500!! on fortnight he diverted the notification email so his dad didn't know anout it until he checked his bank statement. he got the ps4 taken off of him.

  18. Post
    #18
    Parenting issue. Parents should be parents and not rely on someone else to do their job. If not , do not be a parent.

  19. Post
    #19
    Gilby wrote:
    a close friend of mine his son spent $500!! on fortnight he diverted the notification email so his dad didn't know anout it until he checked his bank statement. he got the ps4 taken off of him.
    Some douche stole my wifes credit card just recently and spent $2k on Apple store shit. I mean, wtf Apple. The card has never been used before for Apple Store and suddenly it drops $2k and they didn't find that odd or have some feature in place to flag that as suspicious and block it?

    These companies state they are ethical but I wouldn't trust them for a second.

  20. Post
    #20
    It's not any gaming company's responsibility to parent other peoples' children.

  21. Post
    #21
    Don't have kids?

  22. Post
    #22
    I watched my two kids and my nephew play this for about an hour one day (taking turns on a single controller)

    Kids were 8, 11, 14. Honestly, they spent more time building and looting each round than anything else. They're pretty much just minecrafting online.

    Personally, I think the game is boring as fark, and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. But the kids enjoy it, so they continue to play it when they're together. Outside of that, my 8yo doesn't play it. The 11yo and 14yo play it with mates, but I've yet to see/hear either of them rage quit or lash out for losing.

  23. Post
    #23
    jords wrote:
    Don't have kids?
    lol never to late

  24. Post
    #24
    Bobs wrote:
    Rules for my kids are pretty straight forward:

    No ipads or pcs etc during the week, only on the weekend.
    Not before 9am or after 7.30pm.
    No more than 2 hours at a time with a 2 hour break between

    They seem perfectly happy with that. Gives them something to look forward too over the week also.

    Still need to keep an eye on them though. My son would probably play all day if I let him. Still, i can hardly comment, when I was just a bit older than him I would play Civilization 2 all weekend.
    Haha nearly identical to us.

  25. Post
    #25
    Hasn't been to school for two years wtf, pretty sure there's a law against truancy.

    The mother needs a wake-up call which involves cold turkey full abstinence from the PS4.