1. Post

Good computer store in Sydney?

Hi guys, I have a friend in Sydney who would like to purchase a decent entry level gaming PC for his son. I've made the reccomendation to have a local store (a PB Tech equivalent) build one for him using the a list of parts from the reccomended builds thread.

Does anyone have any reccomendations regarding this?

While he could build it himself, I think he'd rather spend a little bit more and not have to worry about anything.

2. Post
    A.brdgr wrote:
    Hi guys, I have a friend in Sydney who would like to purchase a decent entry level gaming PC for his son. I've made the reccomendation to have a local store (a PB Tech equivalent) build one for him using the a list of parts from the reccomended builds thread.

Does anyone have any reccomendations regarding this?

While he could build it himself, I think he'd rather spend a little bit more and not have to worry about anything.
    I like Scorptec - MSY and Umart are usually cheaper but their websites/service is terrible.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/australian_pc_shops has some other options too

3. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    I like Scorptec
    ^

4. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    ^
    I notice monitors are almost $200 cheaper than Computer Lounge...

5. Post
    I like M-Wave.

6. Post
    mattbush wrote:
    I picked a random monitor, ASUS PG348Q.

$1,299 AUD = ~$1,455 NZD

$1,455 * 1.15 = $1673.25 NZD inc GST

So, yep, not cheaper...

7. Post
    defiant wrote:
    I picked a random monitor, ASUS PG348Q.

$1,299 AUD = ~$1,455 NZD

$1,455 * 1.15 = $1673.25 NZD inc GST

So, yep, not cheaper...
    You are adding GST twice...AUS GST already added

8. Post
    mattbush wrote:
    You are adding GST twice...AUS GST already added
    Nope. I’m adding gst to the NZD figure, otherwise you’re not comparing the prices correctly

Either way your comment that they’re cheaper is wrong.

9. Post
    defiant wrote:
    Nope. I’m adding gst to the NZD figure, otherwise you’re not comparing the prices correctly

Either way your comment that they’re cheaper is wrong.
    They're cheaper for Australians than they are for New Zealanders?

10. Post
    mattbush wrote:
    Look at USA sites, what happens next will shock you.

11. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    They're cheaper for Australians than they are for New Zealanders?
    Ok

12. Post
    defiant wrote:
    Ok
    Quite a few forum users are based in Australia, it's a reasonable comment

Nowhere did he say "it's $200 cheaper even after you import"

13. Post
    He's directly comparing an Australian retailer with an NZ one, his statement was incorrect that it's cheaper.

Anyway, I don't really care.

14. Post
    defiant wrote:
    He's directly comparing an Australian retailer with an NZ one, his statement was incorrect that it's cheaper.
    No, his statement is correct, it is cheaper in Australia.

15. Post
    MSY Ultimo, the main store in Sydney, is the cheapest option around and they actually have enough staff that you can find one that cares.

Best way is to prepare a list of what you want and go in and speak with them with your list in hand.

16. Post
    The Real Pacman wrote:
    MSY Ultimo, the main store in Sydney, is the cheapest option around and they actually have enough staff that you can find one that cares.

Best way is to prepare a list of what you want and go in and speak with them with your list in hand.
    I was going to prepare a list for him, get him to walk in with it and ask for their best price.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll reccomend scorptec, with MSY Ultimo in second place.

17. Post
    defiant wrote:

Anyway, I don't really care.
    You obviously do care judging by your responses or are part of the NZ Industry.