1. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    If you think toner is expensve, imagine how badly HP would ream you on powdered X.
    PS: just get a quote from protolabs for something printed with their multijet printers to find out.

2. Post

3. Post
    I could give it a go, flick me a PM if you want to have a chat.

4. Post
    That's super cool that they've done that. And even provided letter kits so you can emboss whatever you want on them.

It's this kind of stuff that's the future. Supply a product and then give people the models to customise it themselves.

5. Post
    Thermaltake do it too I think. Pretty cool, also saves them money from having to provide too many extras

6. Post
    Verzent wrote:
    Can someone in Auck please print me this for my scooter? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2436676/comments looks like a quick small print
    Hrmm looks easy but I don't have any flex on hand at the moment.

7. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    That's super cool that they've done that. And even provided letter kits so you can emboss whatever you want on them.

It's this kind of stuff that's the future. Supply a product and then give people the models to customise it themselves.
    Erm... Is that a yes?

8. Post
    Verzent wrote:
    Can someone in Auck please print me this for my scooter? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2436676/comments looks like a quick small print
    Everyone says don't use PLA and that's all I have. I should really branch out.

pyronical wrote:
    Erm... Is that a yes?
    I didn't realise it was directed at me. The danger of saying yes is the same danger of giving people free IT troubleshooting. If you're near Browns Bay and have a useful hobby I can take advantage of in return you can swing by and I'll run you down on how to do it and you can print it yourself on my printers (PLA only in black, blue or white).

Fire me a PM if you're useful.

9. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Everyone says don't use PLA and that's all I have. I should really branch out.

I didn't realise it was directed at me. The danger of saying yes is the same danger of giving people free IT troubleshooting. If you're near Browns Bay and have a useful hobby I can take advantage of in return you can swing by and I'll run you down on how to do it and you can print it yourself on my printers (PLA only in black, blue or white).

Fire me a PM if you're useful.
    Probably want to do it in PET since the Asus site says you'd probably want a plastic to handle at least 60 deg tho.

10. Post
    nuke737 wrote:
    Probably want to do it in PET since the Asus site says you'd probably want a plastic to handle at least 60 deg tho.
    The ASUS thing would be fine in PLA, 60'C would be no drama.

https://www.matterhackers.com/articl...rinting-in-pla

PLA plastic becomes soft at 70C - 80C and will deform if used in environments that remain above those temperatures for any prolonged time.
    Although realistically ambient shouldn't be hitting 60'C in your machine.

11. Post
    Fair enough. On the point of "saying yes", I make it clear up front people have to pay for what they use, not necessarily in cash. So far no issues printing stuff for people.

12. Post
    nuke737 wrote:
    not necessarily in cash
    Gas, ass or grass - nobody ridesprints for free

13. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Gas, ass or grass - nobody ridesprints for free
    Ya know it brother.

14. Post
    Well, yeah, that's what I thought I was doing.

15. Post
    When I think of all the people I helped on GP with my delidding tool... 15, there's been 15.

16. Post
    This thread makes me want to get a 3D printer...

17. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    When I think of all the people I helped on GP with my delidding tool... 15, there's been 15.
    Any chance you have a MIG or engineers lathe (I have a million projects)? Or are in to home brewing(increase my yeast pool or try all grain if you have tools)? Or have an apple or pear tree(dat cider)?

Alternatively, maybe we could start a GP pool of uses and favours. Where, like BST's Free Stuff, you nominate someone who did a favour for you and you get named against them, but unlike BST you can trade favours with other people. So you'd use and abuse me, and I'd take a favour from your pool and use and abuse one of the people you helped.

And if someone has a point with your name on it and a reasonable request you have to suck it up and make time for them.

Maybe I should just make a website that does that. Can stick it to the tax man as no money is trading hands.

Oooh, I'd call it fifteen favours.

That counts, I will print your ting and add that idea to my backlog of projects. You'll have to pay for shipping or collect from Browns Bay, though.

Tagline can be, 'A useful website for useful people'

18. Post
    Kinda like paying it forward?

19. Post
    nuke737 wrote:
    Kinda like paying it forward?
    Yup, but recorded. I'm thinking along the lines of you advertise your skills/resources. Then if you make a request, anyone can pick it up and when they're done you get a list of skills which includes them (and location), and any people with whom they have stored points for. If you select a skill that is for one of the people that owe them favours, you get that person's point instead so you can claim against them.

It will be abused occasionally, but over time a feedback system should resolve that (where no one will do a favour for someone with no feedback) so new users would be forced to start by doing things rather than having things done for them. Can also weight the feedback people get where if someone with a large quantity of positive feedback gives you positive feedback it counts more than someone with no feedback.

And the more skills you can do, the more likely other people will take your jobs.

And a newbie can do a favour for someone with whom has the skills they need, so that they can then claim that favour in return from that first person. So they needn't do a thousand jobs to get the one job they need done.

Will have to work on the honour system where if someone calls a reasonable favour you should make time for them, but if you're playing with people with good feedback then likely that should be good enough.

And ideally eventually it just becomes a barter system where things you couldn't otherwise monetise still have tradeable value (like I homebrew but right at this second I could never sell it, but I could easily supply someone beer/cider in exchange for use of a journeyman's MIG/welding skills).

Edit: Not journeyman, wrong term. I forget the one where the person is self-taught to a high standard but not professional.

No money changing hands, just people utilising resources that are otherwise unavailable (say I need to use a bandsaw but don't want to buy one, Joe Bloggs the next suburb over has no method of telling me I can use his bandsaw so it just sits unused).
    Last edited by suntoucher; 12th November 2018 at 11:28 am.

20. Post
    Something something bartercard

21. Post
    Bartercard is commercial orientated and you can buy/sell. This is amateur/hobbyist orientated.

It's me and my 3D printer, vs a shop with a 3D printer and a large bill.

22. Post
    Decided to just use the one we have here at work, not sure why that didn't occur to me earlier. As you were.

23. Post
    bit of a necro, but thought better than opening a new thread, recommendations for buying one on a budget as much to play with. and to make things for around the house. Dont mind DIY (actually would enjoy building it). Do they still do ones that you can upgrade by printing the upgrades :P

24. Post
    The best 2 "budget" printers at the mo is the Anycubic i3 Mega or Creality Ender 3

https://all3dp.com/1/anycubic-i3-meg...rinter-review/

https://all3dp.com/1/creality-ender-...rinter-review/

Doing nice things still with my Anet A8 which is worse than both of those.

25. Post
    oh yeah, I've heard ABS is what i want to print in? or is PLY still best for learning etc and little things? also best place to buy from?

Im kinda keen on the DIY kit as it gives me a cool little project to put togeather