Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post

I wub my 3D printer

Suggestion: Go out and buy a plug and play one today.

Currently printing off a mount for my electric car charger so that it can clip onto the wall and I can stop trying to hang it off things.

Then going to print a stack of clips that I'll screw into the front of my carport that will let me hang a tarp off it to enclose it.

The other day printed a replacement #1 piece for my girlfriend's clippers because we dropped them and broke it.

The latter two I quickly drew up with the 3D Builder app that was forced onto my W10 instance (because Solidworks takes too long)

Years ago I was terribly excited about them, bought a Prusa i3 kit. Then it needed an insane amount of babying, and then jammed and I never looked at it again. A few months ago I bought a Monoprice IIIP, printed one thing off. Then forgot about it. Finally started printing seriously and its actually makes hundreds of little annoyances disappear, and mine is only cable of 12cm cubed. Also meant I could dig out the 2KG of filament that I never really used.

When they just work, they're the world's greatest thing to own.

As well as telling you you must buy one, for 3D printer owners what are things I can print (in 12cm cubed) that will change my life?

Saw a buttplug model the other day.

2. Post
    Oh! Printed off a new park lever for my Honda Gyro X, looked on eBay and they're $180.

Drew one up based on my XY150ZK and it fits and works perfectly. And at 50% density I can't break it no matter how hard I try.

Even embossed the words 'PARK' onto it. Ended up being about $2 of material and power.

3. Post
    Awhile back I bought a lens on trademe that was missing the lens cap. It's a great big bulbous wide angle that requires a specific lens cap which is only made for that particular lens. It's also an older model lens, so finding a cap for it was next to impossible.

I found out a friend of mine had bought a 3D printer, so we mocked up a quick design, and after a couple of prototypes to ensure fitment, I now have a lens cap

4. Post
    Yeah, it's awesome and that actually gives me an idea!

I have a stack (6) of old Eclair Cameflex 16 35s, motors, governors and Kinoptik lenses. No caps for any of them, would have been lost decades ago. So the lenses just get left on the cameras.

Can't buy bits for these, seeing as they're 70 odd years old.

Oh! And only some of the film reels have covers.

I wonder if I could print off a 35mm projector, get a lens and bulb and use one of the camera motors to drive it.

5. Post
    I'm working on a dragon model at the moment that I want to print out at some point. I want to get it in three poses, and made it breakdown into two pieces (thus, making it able to be created on a smaller scale printer). It's going to be one pose with a tail that hooks around my arm, one on a plate that can be slid into a glove so I can have the dragon perch on my hand, and one where it can perch on my shoulder... which I haven't quite figured out the logistics of and may require a strap or sash that's worn over the clothes... though that's a last resort.

I won't get the printer yet until I've worked out the dragon design. Quite keen on it all though.

6. Post
    I ordered a Monoprice Select Mini a few months ago, but cancelled my order straight after cause I realized "How often am I going to use this"? I think I'll prefer a cnc mill or theres a nice laser cutter, thats $10k... hmm but for that price I would have to start a side business to justify that much.

7. Post
    Have been contemplating spending some money on a 3d printer for a while but can't decide what one, I like the idea of a "retailish" one that's all contained in a neat easy box but I also want pretty big printing

8. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I ordered a Monoprice Select Mini a few months ago, but cancelled my order straight after cause I realized "How often am I going to use this"? I think I'll prefer a cnc mill or theres a nice laser cutter, thats $10k... hmm but for that price I would have to start a side business to justify that much.
    I literally used them like six or seven times over years until about two weeks ago.

Now it's printing almost non-stop. I think the 3D Builder app has actually driven it. Because I used Solid works in the past and something that would take hours in Solid works can be knocked together in 20 minutes on 3D builder, but detailing is all but impossible. They definitely both have their uses but when I need a small knick-knack to fix a problem around the house then the ease of the app has made it vital.

If I was still using Solidworks only to knock out a small clip to hold my tarpaulin up then I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Also the IIIP was $200 on TradeMe secondhand.

I think I'll print the parts needed to get my i3 working like the IIIP (feeder motor not on the extruder head etc) and then maybe turn it into dual extruder or something. Maybe make it bigger.

9. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Have been contemplating spending some money on a 3d printer for a while but can't decide what one, I like the idea of a "retailish" one that's all contained in a neat easy box but I also want pretty big printing
    Definitely get something prebuilt, I started on one of those kitset ones and due to lack of knowledge it jammed and I gave up. Its years down the line before I've gotten back into it because this one just works. And its motivated me to fix and get the other one going. And probably working like this one.

Mine was $200 secondhand on TradeMe. I was watching an Up something or rather for $600 around a year ago second hand and whilst it would have been amazing, this has really been awesome and gotten me into it.

I definitely don't regret restarting small.

10. Post
    I have a cheapo Anet A8 just over a year ago. Once you learn its quirks and how to get the best out of it you can do great things.

I play tabletop wargames so am constantly printing our things for that. Currently printing mechs for Battletech Alpha Strike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41039159_275950466345658_3166824166393380864_n.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	223286

Name:	41106042_1160848810729566_334897721263521792_n.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	223287

Name:	41080590_224348925098083_6872385674364846080_n.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	395.4 KB 
ID:	223285

11. Post
    Been running this all day and almost finished.

Name:	IMG_20180916_001908.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	223289

Right now my EV charger just gets put wherever. This will screw onto the wall and mount the plug and cable.

About $3 in materials and power and is now my largest print to date.

12. Post
    Finished product, fits perfectly.

Name:	IMG_20180916_095849.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	782.1 KB 
ID:	223291

Name:	IMG_20180916_095830.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	995.6 KB 
ID:	223292

13. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Upbox+ is a pretty reasonable option as far as a self contained one goes. They are pricier than the kit options by a fair way. What size print are you after? Just one thing to be aware is that the up filaments are actually closer to 1.70mm so if you try to use other filaments in an upbox it tends to print like arse because they are typically 1.75 like they should be...

14. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Upbox+ is a pretty reasonable option as far as a self contained one goes. They are pricier than the kit options by a fair way. What size print are you after? Just one thing to be aware is that the up filaments are actually closer to 1.70mm so if you try to use other filaments in an upbox it tends to print like arse because they are typically 1.75 like they should be...
    Jesus, 3k and not standardised so if they stop selling your filament (perhaps they decide to standardise) you're ****ed.

At that price I'd rather buy something like this:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...54b9ce529651de

Then again the build area on that is pretty small for its pricetag.

Those laser ones look pretty cool. I always wanted one of those, and watched the Peachy Printer but I don't think it ever released.

This one looks alright if it's truly self-calibrating:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...54b9ce529651de

That's why I liked the Up one i was looking at back in the past, it auto levelled. Then again levelling my one wasn't difficult and it was a third of the price.

15. Post
    I looked at the wanhao ones 12 months ago, ticked most of my requirements boxes but couldn't be bothered with self importing at the time and they didn't seem very common enough to have support/community for them

16. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Jesus, 3k and not standardised so if they stop selling your filament (perhaps they decide to standardise) you're ****ed.

-snip-

That's why I liked the Up one i was looking at back in the past, it auto levelled. Then again levelling my one wasn't difficult and it was a third of the price.
    Yeah its not ideal, and upon reflection I wouldn't recommended one for home use. The one I use was purchased as a low level backup machine for our polyjet machine at work for quick pass ergonomic checks before throwing it on the fancy machine (as the running costs are almost 1/50th...) and certain print types (ABS mainly). The auto level is ballpark and best and you still need to manually level the bed and the nozzle for best printing. It does drift over time.

If doing PLA I'd probably get an ultimaker or similar, the up ended up being the only option at the time that would handle ABS (because filters and enclosure)

17. Post
    After some cursory glances I think I've settled on the davinci Pro 3 in 1 jobbie, has a scanner built in which is pretty rad and can get a laser engraving attachment.

18. Post
    I have had a few including a maker select mini was a mint bit of kit I am wanting to play with low temp PC
    So I grabbed a Geeetech A10 its been a pain the bed came warped so still getting that sorted out its a fun hobby cheap too if you grab a printer from a place like aliexpress or 3dprintersbay.

19. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    After some cursory glances I think I've settled on the davinci Pro 3 in 1 jobbie, has a scanner built in which is pretty rad and can get a laser engraving attachment.
    That's super cool, I always imagined 3D scanners were crazy expensive. Although not so sure about the laser engraving, can emboss text onto a print easily enough.

Ran my first unmonitored big print yesterday. 17 hours, came out perfect. No drama.

Has made me confident I can start a print in the morning and go to work.

SL1CKSTA wrote:
    I have had a few including a maker select mini was a mint bit of kit I am wanting to play with low temp PC
    So I grabbed a Geeetech A10 its been a pain the bed came warped so still getting that sorted out its a fun hobby cheap too if you grab a printer from a place like aliexpress or 3dprintersbay.
    Yeah my first one was a Prusa i3 clone. Required so much babying and that's what scared me away from 3D printing. Although now that I've had a good experience with another I'm confident I can dig it back out and make it work well.

20. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    That's super cool, I always imagined 3D scanners were crazy expensive. Although not so sure about the laser engraving, can emboss text onto a print easily enough.

Ran my first unmonitored big print yesterday. 17 hours, came out perfect. No drama.

Yeah my first one was a Prusa i3 clone. Required so much babying and that's what scared me away from 3D printing. Although now that I've had a good experience with another I'm confident I can dig it back out and make it work well.
    I couldn't care less about the text on printed projects as you rightly say that can be put into the print, but the ability to burn other stuff is a cool idea, means I can dick with my own labelling of switch panels and such that I make for cars

21. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    I couldn't care less about the text on printed projects as you rightly say that can be put into the print, but the ability to burn other stuff is a cool idea, means I can dick with my own labelling of switch panels and such that I make for cars
    That's awesome! I was thinking it could only be done on the print.

22. Post
    suntoucher wrote:

What did you print on a 120x120 surface that needed 17 hours :O

I have been really keen to get myself something that requires less fiddling with the select mini v2 could be the go ahead but I found the original abit small in terms of print volume anyone else got any suggestions?

23. Post
    I've got two 3d printers, one of which I've had running pretty reliably for over two years and have it totally dialed in for sick quality prints. I have however redesigned/reengineered half the parts on it and put the work in to make it print as good as it does.

The other is a kitset core XY beast that just needs the marlin firmware tweaked and customised and it'll be good to go, but I can't be arsed investing the time into it anymore.

3d printing is handy af though, I use it for heaps! I make assorted brackets and other stuff constantly. ����

24. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    What did you print on a 120x120 surface that needed 17 hours :O

I have been really keen to get myself something that requires less fiddling with the select mini v2 could be the go ahead but I found the original abit small in terms of print volume anyone else got any suggestions?
    Another one of the picture earlier for a friend who borrows my van. Was about 130g and quite tall. I have the settings slowed slightly for higher quality prints and run around 45% density for finished products.

Mettler wrote:
    I've got two 3d printers, one of which I've had running pretty reliably for over two years and have it totally dialed in for sick quality prints. I have however redesigned/reengineered half the parts on it and put the work in to make it print as good as it does.

The other is a kitset core XY beast that just needs the marlin firmware tweaked and customised and it'll be good to go, but I can't be arsed investing the time into it anymore.

3d printing is handy af though, I use it for heaps! I make assorted brackets and other stuff constantly. ����
    This, I'm disappointed my experience was ruined the first time around. Just bought another one on TradeMe. A Flashforge Finder new for $250.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1764055076

Hopefully it's not a scam. It's either a scam or the world's worst auction, been given a house address, though. Will open it when I pick up before paying. Has a webcam so going to see if I can orientate it so that I can see both printers. Although I won't be able to stop my IIIP remotely, so I'd just end up checking it during the process and be sad if it fails.

25. Post
    Woo, legit buy. Lovely couple who won it in a raffle.