Results 1 to 19 of 19

  1. Question
    #1

    Blown head gasket

    Hi,

    Please do not yelled at me I am a noobie on Cars.

    My coolant is emptied, i bought a green coolant but after seeing brown fluid under radiator cap.
    I decided to wait for Monday, then i can bring it in for a coolant flush etc.

    Half way driving to brunch on a beautiful Saturday morning, the car stalk at traffic lights.
    It wont start and i have to call AA mechanic, mechanic came and poured 2 bottles of water into the radiator.
    He mentioned that "it looks like the head gasket is blown", "water is pushing out from radiator when engine starts".
    The 2 bottles of water he poured in soon leaked out with brownish fluid below the car.
    The car had to be towed.

    My question is can those 'head gasket fix' sealer at superauto work in my situation ?
    Is it worth a try ?

    Not gonna spend a bomb to fix the head gasket when the car only cost $2k

    Attached Images


  2. Post
    #2
    you can try it but it is never permanent or very often doesn't work that well.

    It sounds like the motor seized due to being overheated when it wouldn't start?

  3. Post
    #3
    Does your oil look milky or strange in any way? Does your temp gauge show your car overheats quickly?

  4. Post
    #4
    antil33t wrote:
    you can try it but it is never permanent or very often doesn't work that well.

    It sounds like the motor seized due to being overheated when it wouldn't start?
    yup, overheated and won't start.
    After refueling with water it starts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    nile wrote:
    Does your oil look milky or strange in any way? Does your temp gauge show your car overheats quickly?
    i have not check the oil. Temp gauge did not show super high temp, bar in the middle of the meter when driving at express way.

  5. Post
    #5
    People always forget that a temperature gauge only measures the temp of the liquid in the system. If there is no liquid, its not going to be accurate.

    That photo shows a very neglected cooling system. Chances are the radiator is blocked anyway from rust and gunk.

    Driving with no coolant was a stupid thing to do, and you have now found out why. Try a can of the headgasket fix gunk, you have nothing to lose, but be prepared to junk the car soon regardless.

  6. Post
    #6
    it may have a severe water leak which caused the engine to overheat, if there's little water in the engine the temp gauge often doesn't move.

  7. Post
    #7
    Triple_S wrote:
    People always forget that a temperature gauge only measures the temp of the liquid in the system. If there is no liquid, its not going to be accurate.

    That photo shows a very neglected cooling system. Chances are the radiator is blocked anyway from rust and gunk.

    Driving with no coolant was a stupid thing to do, and you have now found out why. Try a can of the headgasket fix gunk, you have nothing to lose, but be prepared to junk the car soon regardless.
    yeah. thats the plan.

  8. Post
    #8
    Triple_S wrote:
    , but be prepared to junk the car soon regardless.
    Agree, that motor looks like a write off. Irontite or what ever you use, will have a hard time sealing a contaminated cross leak like that. If you list what it is someone might have a spare engine and take it off your hands.

  9. Post
    #9
    Ysc5 wrote:
    The 2 bottles of water he poured in soon leaked out with brownish fluid below the car.
    you need to start by addressing this. can you see where it is leaking from?

  10. Post
    #10
    If it's only a $2k car, ditch car, purchase another car.

    Maybe also have a mechanic give the new car a bit of a going over too, such that it might assist you getting a bit more life out of the replacement.

    Magic headgasket in a bottle, probably not worth the trouble given how grotty that radiator is looking.

  11. Post
    #11
    JRS wrote:
    you need to start by addressing this. can you see where it is leaking from?
    Directly below the engine.

  12. Post
    #12
    Head gasket in a can is not going to help you, you're wasting your time and money

  13. Post
    #13
    JRS wrote:
    you need to start by addressing this. can you see where it is leaking from?
    I've looked below. Definitely not the radiator, leak from below the engine

  14. Post
    #14
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Head gasket in a can is not going to help you, you're wasting your time and money
    Ok, probably you are correct. But I'll still try. Might remember this lesson harder when I try to do something.

  15. Post
    #15
    What car is it?

  16. Post
    #16
    ludez wrote:
    What car is it?
    Mitsubishi colt 2003 1.3litre engine

  17. Post
    #17
    If you have friends with mechanic skills its probably a $500 motor to buy then drop in.

  18. Post
    #18
    When was the car last serviced?

  19. Post
    #19
    The brown stuff in your radiator is rust from a very neglected coolant system. Time to buy a new car.