Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Cool

125th anniversary of womens suffrage in New Zealand

On 19 September 1893 New Zealand women won the right to vote in elections. As a result, New Zealand became the first self-governing country in the world to extend this right to all women. Suffrage Day celebrates the aims of the movement for gender equality and is a reminder of the ongoing issue of equality for women.

2. Post
    Yay women!

3. Post
    Still wanting to know what rights or privileges men supposedly have over women

4. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Well they couldn't vote 125 years ago, so there is that.

5. Post
    Don't lean on me man cos you can't afford the ticket

RIP Starman

6. Post
    swazi wrote:
    you get a penis, far more fun apparently

7. Post
    bust out loling when I read the title

8. Post
    swazi wrote:
    We get to work full-time and fix everything, protect everyone, look after the gardens and mow the lawns and deal with anything gross, but now also 50/50 raise the family and 50/50 look after the house. Progress!

9. Post
    swazi wrote:
    We're not placed under social pressure to pop out babies in our prime career years and then spend 2 - 4 years out of the workplace raising them.

10. Post
    There's more than 2 genders you know!

11. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Well they couldn't vote 125 years ago, so there is that.
    Listening on the Maori seat debate a lot of men couldn't vote around a similar period, to be eligible you had to own land. So once Maori were exempted there were a lot of non-Maori men with less rights.

And while women were denied certain privileges, men were either working in appalling conditions or being shipped off to war as cannon fodder. The privileged man was a rarity, and rarely mentioned. It wasn't a pleasant time for either gender.

12. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Listening on the Maori seat debate a lot of men couldn't vote around a similar period, to be eligible you had to own land. So once Maori were exempted there were a lot of non-Maori men with less rights.

And while women were denied certain privileges, men were either working in appalling conditions or being shipped off to war as cannon fodder. The privileged man was a rarity, and rarely mentioned. It wasn't a pleasant time for either gender.
    Yup. 1867 all Maori Men could vote in the Maori electorates, 1879 all Men could vote and 1893 all Women could vote.
    https://teara.govt.nz/en/voting-rights

13. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    We're not placed under social pressure to pop out babies in our prime career years and then spend 2 - 4 years out of the workplace raising them.
    Its more acceptable for a mum to go back to work after a couple of months than it is for a dad to not at work and stay at home to raise the family imo

14. Post
    trackers wrote:
    Its more acceptable for a mum to go back to work after a couple of months than it is for a dad to not at work and stay at home to raise the family imo
    i definitely agree, and I think it's complete bollocks. I've repeatedly whinged about how I could never get paid parental leave because my ex wasn't working - it's codified in our laws that women are the primary caregivers and fathers are just ancillary.

15. Post
    So is it time to change women and children first to just children first?

16. Post
    TIL Chinese people didn't have the vote in nz until 1952, because they weren't allowed to become citizens until then

17. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Back in the 19th century in Britain (and her colonised territories), here were some of things women could not do:
    • Women married or not, could not sign contract.[*]
    • Women could not vote.
    • Women could not attend university.
    • Engage in any professions other than teacher, governess, midwife, housekeeper, maid [**]
    • Unmarried women could not go out unchaperoned.
    • Unmarried women could not talk to men unchaperoned.
    • If at the age of 20 and still unmarried, girls were considered on the shelve or spinsters. [*] This pretty much stopped women from doing anything useful. Many of the women authors published their books anonymously. For example: Jane Austen published her books under her brother’s name.
    [**] Women weren’t considered intelligent enough to be doctors, or lawyers etc.

18. Post
    knack wrote:
    Back in the 19th century in Britain (and her colonised territories), here were some of things women could not do:
    Women married or not, could not sign contract.[*]
    Women could not vote.
    Women could not attend university.
    Engage in any professions other than teacher, governess, midwife, housekeeper, maid [**]
    Unmarried women could not go out unchaperoned.
    Unmarried women could not talk to men unchaperoned.
    If at the age of 20 and still unmarried, girls were considered on the shelve or spinsters. [*] This pretty much stopped women from doing anything useful. Many of the women authors published their books anonymously. For example: Jane Austen published her books under her brothers name.
    [**] Women werent considered intelligent enough to be doctors, or lawyers etc.
    Sounds like modern day sharia islam.

19. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    TIL Chinese people didn't have the vote in nz until 1952, because they weren't allowed to become citizens until then
    sounds like Apartheid

20. Post
    mintyOnion wrote:
    So is it time to change women and children first to just children first?
    This. If I'm on a sinking boat the kids should go first then its a free for all between men & women. They want to be treated equally right?

21. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    This. If I'm on a sinking boat the kids should go first then its a free for all between men & women. They want to be treated equally right?
    Women and children first is about equity, not equality

memes

22. Post
    knack wrote:
    • Women married or not, could not sign contract.[*]
    • Women could not vote.
    • Women could not attend university.
    • Engage in any professions other than teacher, governess, midwife, housekeeper, maid [**]
    • Unmarried women could not go out unchaperoned.
    • Unmarried women could not talk to men unchaperoned.
    • If at the age of 20 and still unmarried, girls were considered on the shelve or spinsters. [*] This pretty much stopped women from doing anything useful. Many of the women authors published their books anonymously. For example: Jane Austen published her books under her brother’s name.
    [**] Women weren’t considered intelligent enough to be doctors, or lawyers etc.
    Yeah nah some of that stuff is clearly BS.

23. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Yeah nah some of that stuff is clearly BS.
    Which one is?

24. Post
    Can't speak for them all, but I have letters from my great grandmother in the 1880s where she is clearly going out by herself. (unmarried)

25. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Can't speak for them all, but I have letters from my great grandmother in the 1880s where she is clearly going out by herself. (unmarried)
    What a slut.