1. Post
    Do the NRL have the power to appeal judiciary rulings?

2. Post
    Why would they? They have what they want, they're not going to appeal it lol.

3. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    The way the lawyer argued it seemed a reasonable conclusion imo.
    The shit he was arguing was absolute rubbish. He didnt attempt anything other than a shoulder charge and the whole leading with the pec.... He braced himself to cause as much impact as possible

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

4. Post
    To the letter of the law I think it holds up, maybe we'll see the wording changed going forward.

I don't think that is what they needed to stop when they ruled shoulder charges out. While everyone is up in arms about Slater getting off, I think if it was anyone else's team, they'd feel like it was pretty rough. I don't think Warriors fans would stomach RTS missing the final for that every well and they'd be latching on to the same arguments.

5. Post
    No surprises that Billy got let off but was it suspension worthy? I dunno. Funny how in rugby union that would've been a penalty try, but in league, it's like, nah bro it's all g.

Soui wrote:
    You gettin' old bro?

I dunno if I can make it Comic Sans, soz.
    Dammit I really wanted Comic Sans for that extra pizzazz.

I already am old lol and with 2 little kids. I gotta go to Auckland for work the next day, leaving at 5am, so I gotta get all the sleep that I can, which sucks cos I'd love to watch this game. I really miss sunday arvo NRL Grand Finals. One of my fav things to do as a kid was have a Sunday roast with my family and watch the Broncos and Raiders win all those titles back in the 1990s.

6. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    If it happens any other week he gets charged. The best fullback of all time isn't going to be banned from his last game AND the Grand Final. He'd have to kill someone on the field to get banned.
    and that's why they were getting rid of the shoulder charge , it has killed, look up James Ackerman, if the NRL were serious about getting rid of the shoulder charge then he should have been banned

7. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Why would they? They have what they want, they're not going to appeal it lol.
    In some sense they’ll be happy, but it now sets a precedence and benchmark for the future. That kind of tackle could easily injured either player and needs to be ruled out, otherwise we will see players just cannonballing themselves

8. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    To the letter of the law I think it holds up, maybe we'll see the wording changed going forward.

I don't think that is what they needed to stop when they ruled shoulder charges out. While everyone is up in arms about Slater getting off, I think if it was anyone else's team, they'd feel like it was pretty rough. I don't think Warriors fans would stomach RTS missing the final for that every well and they'd be latching on to the same arguments.
    I think much of the uproar is because people perceive that if it was another player, they wouldn’t have gotten off. It’s easy for me to say now, but if it was RTS and he was banned, I could suck it up and think fair enough.

9. Post
    If it was a Warriors player the hearing would've lasted less than a minute & they would've been found guilty straight away lol

10. Post
    It's a surprise to no one who has followed the sport for any number of years, the NRL is a joke. They will protect the big players to the extents of the universe for the 'good of the game'.

There was zero chance hero Billy Slater was going to get banned from playing his last NRL game, a grand final no matter what he did.

You know they've already written his name on the man of the match medal (regardless how the game actually goes).

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the 'meeting' the judiciary had was literally just them sitting around trying to figure out how to spin it.

11. Post
    Happy with the result, firstly because I want Billy to play and lose his final ever gamr

Secondly because I can now talk about how corrutpt the NRL judiciary are and how if it was a kiwis player he'd be banned from the final and any Kiwis tests against Australia

12. Post
    It terms of the act itself I'm glad there was no suspension. I want shoulder charges in NRL. I know it's not allowed now, but I want to see what he did as legal.

In terms of the judiciary and the fact it's Slater and Melbourne, I'm furious.

13. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    I think much of the uproar is because people perceive that if it was another player, they wouldn’t have gotten off. It’s easy for me to say now, but if it was RTS and he was banned, I could suck it up and think fair enough.
    And yet those same people always forget that Cam Smith missed a grand final through suspension which kills their argument.

I don't buy for a second that you'd just suck it up tbh.

If anything I think people are baying for blood because it's Slater and want him punished more than they would anyone else. If this happened in any other week with a different player people would yawn and move on. We see that tackle happen and not even be a penalty. The Waqa Blake one came up as an example. People only care because it's Slater and they hate Melbourne. So do I.
    Last edited by DOGZILLA; 26th September 2018 at 4:58 pm.

14. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    And yet those same people always forget that Cam Smith missed a grand final through suspension which kills their argument.

I don't buy for a second that you'd just suck it up tbh.

If anything I think people are baying for blood because it's Slater and want him punished more than they would anyone else. If this happened in any other week with a different player people would yawn and move on. We see that tackle happen and not even be a penalty. The Waqa Blake one came up as an example. People only care because it's Slater and they hate Melbourne. So do I.
    Smith’s was a dog act and they rightfully made an example of him to stamp that kind of behaviour out of the game.

The RTS issue is all hypothetical, but as it was a clear cut shoulder charge, I’d have sucked it up that he was charged to get it out of the game.

15. Post
    But I keep hearing that he got off because of who he is and because it's Melbourne, surely then Smith would have got off too as an even bigger figure in the game? Seems that it isn't as simple as who he is.

And to the letter of the law it wasn't a clear cut shoulder charge, hence why he's off. I have zero doubt that if Roger went up for that people would moan how soft it is and I have zero doubt you would not just suck it up.

But speaking of RTS, hopefully he gets up tonight. Think Cook deserves it but it will be cool if he wins.

16. Post
    To the letter of the law its still a shoulder charge is my take. His hand was not making an attempt at a tackle nor trying to hold him.

The only OBVIOUS attempt was using his shoulder.

Cook should be the Dally M. I think he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

17. Post
    ****ing mean RTS. Good night for the Warriors with Roger getting Dally M and fullback, Jazz getting interchange and Fus getting the try scoring medal.

Pretty ****ing cool moment at the end with Luke, Jazz and Rapana doing that Haka for him too.

18. Post
    Congrats RTS! Ponga would've had that if he played the last two games.

19. Post
    Galent wrote:
    Congrats RTS! Ponga would've had that if he played the last two games.
    I didnt watch it but how close was Cook? And did RTS get a bunch of points in losing games aswell?

20. Post
    Hard to deny just how good Jazz Tevaga is when he gets interchange player of the year. Unreal.

That haka by Bully, Raps, Jazz, and Isaako was top notch, too.

RTS - what a guy

21. Post
    Lololol looked up the rest of the awards and yep as usual Dally m system fails again

Brooks halfback , Leilua centre of the year and Jackson secondrow . Cook wasnt even top5

Pearce missed 8 weeks and was right up there.....

22. Post
    It is definitely a flawed system, the fact he was so far down while Brooks nearly won the thing sums that up.

Still stoked on RTS winning though. And I'm stoked Fifita won too. He's been a ****ing beast this year but always so many people want to rip into him.

23. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    ****ing mean RTS. Good night for the Warriors with Roger getting Dally M and fullback, Jazz getting interchange and Fus getting the try scoring medal.
    Bloody brilliant! Congrats to all three! Thoroughly deserved.

24. Post
    Kick off isn’t till 10.20...I remember when it was 930, why do they keep delaying it? Surely 730 is better than 830 AU time

25. Post
    Daylight savings. If kickoff is 10:20 in NZ it will be 7:20 in Sydney.