SkyTV at it again

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
Results 26 to 50 of 182

  1. Post
    #26
    Sky are shit. When i cancelled with them a few years ago, they insisted I drive across Auckland to drop off their decoder. I lol'd and told them if they want it back to pick it up themselves or send a courier ticket. Que angry emails from more and more senior managers. Was amazing stuff, I had never seen such weird service before. It was like a Mexican Standoff but without Tormenta pretending to be Mexican. They are without doubt the worst company in NZ.

  2. Post
    #27
    The call centre in Auckland always insisted on that, and I was like yeah, nah, that isn't how it works down here in Christchurch. A technician always rings you to make a time to come and collect it from you and they give you a receipt.

    The last couple of times I did it, the guy said it was a his full-time job, which shows you how much business they are losing.

  3. Post
    #28
    Privoxy wrote:
    It's the lost revenue argument that winds me up the most every time. They continue to think that if I wasn't pirating media I'd be paying them instead. The reality is I just wouldn't watch TV.
    Agree 100%

    Can sky just ****ing die already, they've had their run and got good takings while the scam was working.

  4. Post
    #29
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    The call centre in Auckland always insisted on that, and I was like yeah, nah, that isn't how it works down here in Christchurch. A technician always rings you to make a time to come and collect it from you and they give you a receipt.

    The last couple of times I did it, the guy said it was a his full-time job, which shows you how much business they are losing.
    Makes you wonder how many people just say **** it and actually drive across town / to another city to return their decoder.

    How did they get them in the first place? Delivery? Returns should follow the same system.

  5. Post
    #30
    A technician is required to come out and install it, even if you've already had it before and just need to plug the box in. They have to ring in to activate it.

  6. Post
    #31
    Bobs wrote:
    Sky are shit. When i cancelled with them a few years ago, they insisted I drive across Auckland to drop off their decoder. I lol'd and told them if they want it back to pick it up themselves or send a courier ticket. Que angry emails from more and more senior managers. Was amazing stuff, I had never seen such weird service before. It was like a Mexican Standoff but without Tormenta pretending to be Mexican. They are without doubt the worst company in NZ.
    Thats werd. They insisted they come and get ours like 5 years ago.

  7. Post
    #32
    I had a friend who was moving to Australia three weeks before their contract was up.

    He rang up and was told if he cancelled it now then he'd have to pay a penalty fee. So he's like fine where can i drop off the decoder? They gave him the address but he couldn't drop it off before the end of the contract because their systems couldn't handle it being returned with an active contract.

  8. Post
    #33
    Valeyard wrote:
    Thats werd. They insisted they come and get ours like 5 years ago.
    In the end I dropped it off to some local branch and left it with the reception lady. She was crying about "you can't leave that here, it needs to go to Penrose" and I just walked out and left it with her. Never heard from them again. Bizarre.

  9. Post
    #34
    I got billed $260 this month because I haven't returned the hardware.

  10. Post
    #35
    Sky was cool .... in 1991 when my Dad got it and we watched 24/7 CNN of the first Gulf War. Was also cool before streaming became a thing, and they had movies that rivalled the video shops selection. And of course sport, which is all they have now. Dinosaurs that need to die, basically; give those sporting rights to someone else.

  11. Post
    #36
    Streaming sport is damn expensive too
    Hundreds of dollars a year just to watch a season of nba

  12. Post
    #37
    I feel like if they somehow managed to get into the streaming market in a meaningful way earlier on they would've been able to keep much more of their market share. Splitting their business model into 2 sectors would've made sense, have one sector focus on a streaming app and online service that was casting capable, the second sector could've focused on the traditional market of decoder based subscription.

    Instead they tried to hang onto old business model for way too long and the younger generations have basically turned their backs on them. They could still revive themselves by putting some work into developing a good streaming app and online service, but they just can't seem to get their shit together. If they lose their rights to sports, they're surely going to fold.

  13. Post
    #38
    Comcast is rumoured to have put a bid in to buyout Sky NZ

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12143301

  14. Post
    #39
    Fog over Sky Television's financial forecasts as it takes shots at Spark

    "One of the characteristics of the New Zealand market is that a significant number of New Zealanders don't yet have access to streaming-capable internet, and it may be some years before they do," Marcourt said in his address notes, which contain several back-hand digs at Spark.

    The telco won rights to the Rugby World Cup 2019 and English Premier League football for three years from 2019, and plans to stream video for both over the internet - albeit with free-to-air partner TVNZ on hand as a backup if things go south.

    "Our sport partners know they can rely on Sky to deliver their content to all of their NZ fans, in ways that work for each individual," Marcourt said.
    Uh huh. I would be interested an in online delivery and would even pay a premium but you are just doing a delivery that is linear and doesn't give the consumer any choice.

    "They also know that internet delivery of live sport is notoriously difficult. Nowhere in the world is it fully succeeding yet. The recent failure in Australia to deliver the Football World Cup online is just one example."

    Optus was forced to refund customers and handover coverage to free-to-air broadcaster SBS after its Fifa World Cup stream fell over.
    Oh, really? Well, I guess the neulion and MLBAM platforms along with Youtube's tech just doesn't work at all.

    I know Sky isn't everyones cup of tea but until they pull their heads out of the sand and start being more flexible they are going to be considered the old media behemoth they are.

  15. Post
    #40
    Everyone knows how shite Australia's internet is, so using them as an example disingenuous.

    The dumb thing is they use NeuLion for Fanpass, so know how good it is, they are just too cheap to pay for all the features it offers.\

    When I've used it in the past I had no streaming problems with it, and that was on ADSL. Unlike Sky Go, which I swear is run on a single shoddy server out the back of the main office...

  16. Post
    #41
    voy1dnz wrote:
    because their systems couldn't handle it being returned with an active contract.
    Nope, they just hit an untrained moron CSR. Source - used to work at sky in the office, and as a technician contractor.

  17. Post
    #42
    Parents moved from sky to netflix last weekend, while i set up their new internet and DVR, mum was on the phone to cancel sky, I wasnt fully paying attention, but they were desperatly trying so hard to keep mum on the phone and refusing to take no as an awnser, trying to keep her on and running around in circles, i got sick of this and asked for the phone, and in certain words told them to stop bullying her into staying and to cancel the ****ing subscription already

    "but why dont you want sky!?!?!?" They asked me in exasperation

    "Cause I am moving them to netflix and saving them bucketloads of money on crap they dont want!"

    This must have been their 40th time they heard netflix that day as they just..... gave up! all their desire to hold them to sky washed away, they cancelled the sub, and told me where to drop off the decoder, the Southland times newpaper office??

    In speaking with some friends who are in the building, the most traffic is from people dropping decoders off, all with a smile on their face, happy they are dropping that shit like a bad habit it seems

    good. **** em.

  18. Post
    #43
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    Parents moved from sky to netflix last weekend, while i set up their new internet and DVR, mum was on the phone to cancel sky, I wasnt fully paying attention, but they were desperatly trying so hard to keep mum on the phone and refusing to take no as an awnser, trying to keep her on and running around in circles, i got sick of this and asked for the phone, and in certain words told them to stop bullying her into staying and to cancel the ****ing subscription already

    "but why dont you want sky!?!?!?" They asked me in exasperation

    "Cause I am moving them to netflix and saving them bucketloads of money on crap they dont want!"

    This must have been their 40th time they heard netflix that day as they just..... gave up! all their desire to hold them to sky washed away, they cancelled the sub, and told me where to drop off the decoder, the Southland times newpaper office??

    In speaking with some friends who are in the building, the most traffic is from people dropping decoders off, all with a smile on their face, happy they are dropping that shit like a bad habit it seems

    good. **** em.

    That's just sad on Sky's part. In defence of the CSR the desperation could also come from the fact that their job is on the line if they lose too many customers.

  19. Post
    #44
    Oh for sure, I should have mentioned I wasnt a complete prick to the CSR, its their job, they are human after all, but they were being extreeemly insistent, and straight up refusing to take no for an answer, Mum is too nice to get the message through so I had to take over and actually push it home to them, as they were definitely starting to bully her, even starting to try and guilt trip things, and I haaaate guilt trippers

  20. Post
    #45
    When I rang up to cancel Sky the CRS offered to suspend the account for 3 months instead -WTF?

  21. Post
    #46
    Yeah, they tried that on me too and even offered it for $15 a month to use as a Freeview box, which I laughed at.

  22. Post
    #47
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Yeah, they tried that on me too and even offered it for $15 a month to use as a Freeview box, which I laughed at.
    Trying to charge for a freeview box? that's scummy as wtf. I would have reported that shit.

  23. Post
    #48
    I had to explain to her that I already had a Freeview Plus box with all the features of their box plus more.

    I just saw an ad for Sky using 3 All Blacks to try and sell you on their starter plan...

  24. Post
    #49
    Valeyard wrote:
    Trying to charge for a freeview box? that's scummy as wtf. I would have reported that shit.
    You still get to use their EPG and recording functionality etc which might be an ok option for some people not willing to put down $300-500 on a similar spec 1TB DVR or teach their parents to use a new device again.

  25. Post
    #50
    The ISPs are pushing back heaps. I don't see it happening