SkyTV at it again

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Yeah, they tried that on me too and even offered it for $15 a month to use as a Freeview box, which I laughed at.
    God I hate Sky so much. Has to be the worst major company in NZ. So glad they're on the way out.

2. Post
    dudalemon wrote:
    The ISPs are pushing back heaps. I don't see it happening
    what're you talking about

3. Post
    Another nail?

Spark winning the broadcast rights for F1 for three years.
    sauce: https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-ne...wins-f1-rights

Sky TV’s chairman, Peter Macourt, stressed the company’s nationwide satellite coverage as an advantage during bidding, arguing that not all of the country will have ultra-fast broadband by the Rugby World Cup next year.
    Clutching at straws much?

Spark has partnered with TVNZ for back-up if its network fails.
    So now they have rugby world cup and F1 stitched up. Sky isn't going to be left with a whole lot if this carries on.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 25th October 2018 at 3:24 pm.

4. Post
    Sky said they don't really care about the World Cup though, as they'd have to play all the All Blacks games on free to air anyway. It was a lot of money to show all the other teams games which wouldn't have as much interest here. They still have all the All Blacks games outside of that, so until they lose the rights to that, they will stay afloat.

5. Post
    Why do we even allow a monopoly over rights to content?

6. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Sky said they don't really care about the World Cup though, as they'd have to play all the All Blacks games on free to air anyway. It was a lot of money to show all the other teams games which wouldn't have as much interest here. They still have all the All Blacks games outside of that, so until they lose the rights to that, they will stay afloat.
    They only show the AB's games on Prime out of goodwill, theres no legal requirement to show the AB's games free to air here.

7. Post
    solid rumors that each race and practice will be $29.95.,which is nearly $600 for the season

8. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    They only show the AB's games on Prime out of goodwill, theres no legal requirement to show the AB's games free to air here.
    I was talking specifically about the All Blacks World Cup games.

9. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    solid rumors that each race and practice will be $29.95.,which is nearly $600 for the season
    Which is double what sky was offering on fanpass a while ago.

So is it really another nail in the coffin for Sky or is it spark starting to build their own coffin.

10. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    No way they can charge that much

11. Post
    mmario wrote:
    No way they can charge that much
    if they want to make money this is the figure they will have to charge

12. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    and they wonder why people watch online streams for free.

13. Post
    Anybody having trouble with Skygo today? Trying to watch the Rugby on sky sport 1 and not having any luck.

Also, their shitty flash plugin means Chrome makes it ****ing hard to get individual pages to work (automatically block flash plugins).

14. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    Just watch the highlights on the official youtube channel for free.

15. Post
    highlights...no way, there are other ways of course but I would rather just pay a fair price for live coverage, 600 is not it.

16. Post
    Welp now the rugby has gone I finally got around to ditching them.

Was prepared to be brief and somewhat polite, but the lady @ sky asked why I was leaving... I thought nah I'll keep it simple, so just said got freeview. Then she started the sales pitch... so I let rip... I especially enjoyed ripping into her about why in this day and age we have to pay extra for "HD" (because lets face their HD has terrible encoding sometimes).

17. Post
    Did they make you drive half way across the country to drop off a decoder box?

18. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Did they make you drive half way across the country to drop off a decoder box?
    they send you courier bags to send it back

about to cancel sky here too, no more giving them $160/month

Got netflix, lightbox and freeview setup. Don't have anything to replace the sport, but to be honest I'm happy to just watch sport highlights for free on youtube the next day, doesn't need to be live sport anyway

19. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    they send you courier bags to send it back

about to cancel sky here too, no more giving them $160/month

Got netflix, lightbox and freeview setup. Don't have anything to replace the sport, but to be honest I'm happy to just watch sport highlights for free on youtube the next day, doesn't need to be live sport anyway

$160?! Good grief. M8 what plan are you on? jeez.

20. Post
    I cancelled my Sky account two years ago and I still have access to Sky Go. They're so incompetent that they overlooked it. So I just watch sport on there. Thanks Sky.

21. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    $160?! Good grief. M8 what plan are you on? jeez.
    Two My Sky HDI Recording decoders with HD Ticket
    Base Channels + Movie Channels + SOHO + Sport Channels

I think thats it, need to check the invoice. It's not even that much, just they keep jacking up their prices to try and maintain revenue given they keep losing customers

22. Post
    SirGrim wrote:

I think thats it, need to check the invoice. It's not even that much, just they keep jacking up their prices to try and maintain revenue given they keep losing customers
    Same cost here for the same stuff.

23. Post
    SirGrim wrote:

Damn dude lol I just have Netflix and the TVNZ ondemand apps on the PS4 so no need for freeview. Thats literally all I need and even then I still struggle to watch the amount of content on there. There's just so much.

24. Post
    That new Australian streaming service, Kayo, looks promising. $25/mo for two consecutive streams as well as on demand catch up etc. IDK how loose the region locking is.

List of sports covered: https://help.kayosports.com.au/s/art...o-subscription

25. Post
    Threarah wrote:
    That new Australian streaming service, Kayo, looks promising. $25/mo for two consecutive streams as well as on demand catch up etc. IDK how loose the region locking is.

List of sports covered: https://help.kayosports.com.au/s/art...o-subscription
    Ooh I need to look into that could be just what I’m missing