SkyTV at it again

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... Last

1. Post

SkyTV at it again

I heard this lady from SkyTV on the radio, basically Sky are seeking a high court ruling to block sites based on content rights. Not over the legality of piracy, but content rights. In the interview she was cornered about content on facebook and youtube, she tried to wriggle around it - but it highlighted that they are not going after 'illegal' services but after sites that could potentially seen to be circumventing their content rights.

This is fairly big imho, because they are dressing it up as "stop the pirates" but in reality could look to stop other legitimate sites and services. She also mentioned they will be going after proxy services (and I assume VPNs) as well.

They are also quoting some fairly BS numbers in claiming 300,000 kiwis which illegal streams.

So far it sounds like the kiwi ISPs have told them to go take a running jump, but if they win this could be quite a problem for internet users.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...sites-to-court

Moloney said Sky believes the Copyright Act is being breached and a High Court ruling in its favour would mean it could get ISPs to block the pirate websites.

2. Post
    UK ISPs got forced to block certain pirate sites the other year - wouldn't be surprised if it happens here.

3. Post
    Happens in Australia too

4. Post
    There would certainly be significant upfront legal costs for Sky but once the precedent is established it should be straightforward for the ISPs to block these sites and that includes the proxy and mirror sites of The Pirate Bay
    Does this mean that you wouldn't be able to circumvent the ban on the TPB by using an onion mirror or a VPN?

5. Post
    Kcm_999 wrote:
    Does this mean that you wouldn't be able to circumvent the ban on the TPB by using an onion mirror or a VPN?
    read this it shows how effective blocking the sites are
    https://torrentfreak.com/how-effecti...ockade-180527/

6. Post
    Kcm_999 wrote:
    Of course you can. A VPN is encrypted, the ISP cannot see your final destination. A proxy is possible to see the final destination as long as it is HTTP, not HTTPS, but as most traffic is HTTPS it will also be invisible to ISPs. They could blackhole DNS requests, but then you could switch to offshore encrypted DNS hosts.

7. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    So basically it's not really worth the money or time Sky TV are putting into fighting this on court.. typical of them really, they're always behind the eight ball.

8. Post
    It's what happens when you have an idiot like John Fellet in charge.. completely out of touch with reality.

Not sure how much better his mate from Vodafone is going to be either, hopefully John Paris does a much better job at Vodafone.

9. Post
    Sky should just ban the internet -that's the only way they will get their monopoly back...

10. Post
    What I don't understand is why ISPs are even in the firing line. It is a bit like blocking 'roads' for speeders. e.g. Yes, you can access the roads (internet), but it is up to you if you break laws on it.

11. Post
    Challenge accepted.

12. Post
    Please Guv, help maintain our control over sports events coverage

13. Post
    The real problem is sky themselves, I just want sport... but I have to get their basic package - which is essentially freeview + a couple of crap channels. Nobody likes sky as a company, their channels are full of advertising, much of the content itself is terrible, and video quality is disgusting, their HD stream quality is arse - on a decent size screen the artifacting stands out like a donkeys balls. And they want all this at 5 times the sub price of the top tier multidevice Netflix sub.

14. Post
    looks kinda like a spasm during death from drowning, just corperate styles.

15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    The real problem is sky themselves, I just want sport... but I have to get their basic package - which is essentially freeview + a couple of crap channels. Nobody likes sky as a company, their channels are full of advertising, much of the content itself is terrible, and video quality is disgusting, their HD stream quality is arse - on a decent size screen the artifacting stands out like a donkeys balls. And they want all this at 5 times the sub price of the top tier multidevice Netflix sub.
    If you are with Spark you can get Fanpass for $30 a month on a 12 month term(which you can cancel after 6 months with no penalty).

16. Post
    Fanpass is shite though. You only get the 4 main sports channels and none of the pop-up ones, plus you have to watch it live, as SKY are too cheap to pay for the on-demand features the platform provider could give them.

They have a cheaper mobile option now as well, but the won't let you cast it to a TV - not that you'd want to, as it is in standard def...

17. Post
    Any country with a trade deal with USA is forced to legislate to protect US copyright. Its sad in NZ that Sky has created our issue to their greed over time.

18. Post
    Sounds like its just as effective as the three strike law.

19. Post
    Its only really the older generation that are keeping them afloat. Definitely on their last legs.

20. Post
    GradualDAMN wrote:
    Its only really the older generation that are keeping them afloat. Definitely on their last legs.
    Not me

21. Post
    It's the lost revenue argument that winds me up the most every time. They continue to think that if I wasn't pirating media I'd be paying them instead. The reality is I just wouldn't watch TV.

22. Post
    GradualDAMN wrote:
    the 800,000 old people i guess, seems like a lot of old people.

23. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    cheers for the link but watch out for kevinL or you might get a infraction. hopefully he not see this.

24. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    the 800,000 old people i guess, seems like a lot of old people.
    That number sounds about right to be honest. You don't see young people flatting or living by themselves buying sky. Older generation being 40+, it's the way of consuming media that they understand.

25. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    cheers for the link but watch out for kevinL or you might get a infraction. hopefully he not see this.
    Why would he get an infraction?